P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Your introduction to black metal.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deathster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Death Metal: Slayer "Reign in Blood" ca 1987 (yes, I did not consider them thrash metal back then).

For Black Metal: very early 1992. This is the time where I got interested in satanic stuff and I started to search this message in music. So 1992 with stuff like Deicide, Samael, Blasphemy, "Abominations of Desolation", Mayhem, Beherit, Rotting Christ etc.

Sure I knew Black Metal termin and Venom already around 1986/87 but it was just one branch of metal without really interest or knowledge of the theme (my age and lack of foreign language skills at that time). Venom really was the scariest shit in 80s and hence my everlasting respect for them. Sure I knew Deicide in 1990 and Blaspemy in 1991 but at that time it was musical madness only, black metal tag to these come later (in my case).

So its not about when I heard something 1st time but when I got seriously interested in it. Music + message! Sometimes the click comes later.
GiantCogs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By eighth grade I was mostly into classic rock bands like Led Zeppellin and Floyd. Earlier I had gone through a period of liking Maiden and Metallica, but that was because my cousin liked them.

Then I met some new friends who got me into stuff like Opeth which. They played me a bunch of stuff at the time, Satyricon, Ulver, Emperor, but the first thing I really remember was hearing Immortal (either At the Heart of Winter or Sons of Northern Darkness) and thinking the instruments sounded like shit. Funny, compared to all the primordial South American shit I listen to now.

This thread makes me feel young.
multicide

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkthrone and Enslaved.
GoldenBull

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got off to a bad start with bm. I was listening to Slayer, Morbid Angel, etc in the early 90s and had never heard any bm for some reason. People were talking about Burzum on some message board I used ( I think it was Prodigy, haha), so I got a dub of Aske from someone and checked it out. My first thought was "these people cannot be seriously calling this metal." The sound was just too weird to my thirteen year old mind. I didn't give bm a proper try until a few years later with Emperor, Marduk, etc. Funny thinking about it now.

I am so pissed that I didn't order any classic black metal records/cds back then.
Goat & Moon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea what the first album or song was that I heard.

But from the first second of "Pentagram" I was speechless. That album really made an impression.
Manawydan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad is a big fan of motorhead and motorhead sounding bands so he is obviously into venom.
Speerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nargaroth in 1542.
hellmask

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My older brother was into Venom, Bathory, Sodom, Hellhammer/Celtic Frost, Mercyful Fate, etc. right from the start, so I was aware of that stuff at a young age. I wasn't necessarily "into it" at the time, but I did like it...I was much more into Maiden, Priest, Motorhead, Accept, Twisted Sister, Dio, Sabbath, etc. in those days. Then in about 1985 I started to get more into the aforementioned 'first wave of black metal' bands and also got heavily into thrash and hardcore/punk, and then death metal when 'Scream Bloody Gore' and 'Season of the Dead' came out.

I started getting into the later black metal bands though two compilations: Century Media's 'Firestarter' and FMP's 'Tribute To Hell'. I guess that was about '97 or '98.
Astaroth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Filosofem.
Ragingwinter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when i was a freshmen in high school my buddy and I were obsessed with the song Blood Guilt Eucharist haha. That was another big influence on getting into black metal.
salted

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N.W.D wrote:
AvengingEagle wrote:

Some real gems they had there, vital remains let us pray, repulsion, terrorizer, etc... A shame libraries aren't like that anymore.

Some Australian libraries are! One metalhead who works for the local local chain of libraries spends a significant portion of his time making sure there's always a decent selection of heavy metal available.

WEllington Library in NZ stocks many of the zines advertised on NWN....
salted

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was really into hardcore and noise shit when I was in my mid-teens, so only a little small step to darkthrone and burzum and those cool cats
A.P.N

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir around year 2000, then Emperor, Impaled Nazarene, Barathrum...
grindmonkeyagain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bestial Warlust and Darkthrone. Before that I though black metal was goth crap, like most brutal death metal/grindcore kiddies.
slayera

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burzum-Hvis Lyset Tar Oss

I was about 12-13 and the heaviest stuff I had heard was Slayer. Then came this guy shrieking and wailing like some fucking lunatic. Didn't really know what to think about it.

About a year later got balls deep into grindcore, death metal etc. and decided to check out that "weird band" again. Loved it. Then it was all the classic Norwegian bands, then Sarcofago etc. And now I am here kvltfagoing with you guys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: