P R O D U C T I O N S
 
 FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 
 Profile 
 Log in to check your private messages 
 Log in 

Horna
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Feuersturm



Joined: 29 Nov 2012
Posts: 642
Location: Finland

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way Haudankylmyyden Mailla should have sounded like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ANQugcNCo8

Quality of releases varies from surprisingly good to entirely forgettable. I think the band was more appealing when I first discovered them, nowadays I can't really stand the whole oversaturated, domesticated finnish black metal thing which means having to ignore some two dozen generic bands. I still check out some releases even if they don't exactly make a lasting impression (like the last Behexen album, what happened?!), but in all honesty, we do pale in comparison to our western neighbours.

PS. The best Finnish black metal release may just be Kyprian's Circle - Noitatulen Vartija MCD.
_________________
§:-«l
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tireheb



Joined: 18 Aug 2007
Posts: 5903
Location: Finland

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feuersturm wrote:
The way Haudankylmyyden Mailla should have sounded like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ANQugcNCo8

Wow, this sounds so much better.

Hiidentorni and EESE time recordings to the best for me. To be more precise, Musta Kaipuu compilation that has the 2LP bonus tracks and 7" tracks. And then also Sotahuuto but mainly because of the lyrics and great vocals.

I wonder if the remix of Sudentaival will ever happen which Shatraug mentioned on one interview. As it's current form it sounds like shit.
_________________
Kojiri wrote:
To buy lots of die hards, see them ebayed before you, and hear the lamentations of NWN.


"You can't hide the hook!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
csehszlovakze



Joined: 31 Jan 2011
Posts: 178
Location: Hungary

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best live album I've ever heard in my life:



But I can't understand the hate Sudentaival gets, it's quite excellent.
_________________
autonomous deity wrote:
Can we get bonus points if we have never sold a record on ebay or never owned anything by watain?

my shitty metal blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Tireheb



Joined: 18 Aug 2007
Posts: 5903
Location: Finland

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

csehszlovakze wrote:
But I can't understand the hate Sudentaival gets, it's quite excellent.

It sounds way too digital in my ears. Specially the drums make it unlistenable. It's no wonder they went back to using analog equipment after that.
_________________
Kojiri wrote:
To buy lots of die hards, see them ebayed before you, and hear the lamentations of NWN.


"You can't hide the hook!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
astralvesl



Joined: 13 Oct 2010
Posts: 974

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tireheb wrote:
csehszlovakze wrote:
But I can't understand the hate Sudentaival gets, it's quite excellent.

It sounds way too digital in my ears. Specially the drums make it unlistenable. It's no wonder they went back to using analog equipment after that.


Sudentaival is the digitalized plastic sounding version of Khoti that sounds more like something out of a lost Marduk demo than a Horna album. My favorites: Sanojesi, Envaatnags, Khoti in that order. Also I think Corvus was the best vocalist for the band, his vocals just seem to fit the music better than any of the others. Saw Torog do vocals for them live a few months ago, wasn't bad but it was an entirely different feeling (though this could just be what they're going for nowadays). Yea, that live album kicks ass too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zoltar



Joined: 22 Aug 2011
Posts: 257
Location: Paris, France

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A band I immensely respect yet feel they should maybe take more time to pounder the quality of some of the material they're putting out. They have an impressive discography to say the least yet their 2nd and 3rd albums remain my favorites but I have to admit I kinda lost interest after 2005... Too much less interesting EPs and albums... This being said, don't think they have released a proper full-lenght in a long time haven't they?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GoldenBull



Joined: 10 Jan 2008
Posts: 7004

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard a few songs from random Horna releases and they have all been "ok." The size of their discography has pretty much kept me from digging into the band any further.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
csehszlovakze



Joined: 31 Jan 2011
Posts: 178
Location: Hungary

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoldenBull wrote:
I've heard a few songs from random Horna releases and they have all been "ok." The size of their discography has pretty much kept me from digging into the band any further.

This was true to me as well until I've heard Perimä Vihassa Ja Verikostossa, especially the first track.
_________________
autonomous deity wrote:
Can we get bonus points if we have never sold a record on ebay or never owned anything by watain?

my shitty metal blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
astralvesl



Joined: 13 Oct 2010
Posts: 974

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zoltar wrote:
A band I immensely respect yet feel they should maybe take more time to pounder the quality of some of the material they're putting out. They have an impressive discography to say the least yet their 2nd and 3rd albums remain my favorites but I have to admit I kinda lost interest after 2005... Too much less interesting EPs and albums... This being said, don't think they have released a proper full-lenght in a long time haven't they?


Sanojesi Aarelle came out in '08 I think. It's basically a double album, if you haven't heard it you really should give it a listen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
S.P.



Joined: 10 Apr 2010
Posts: 797
Location: Finland

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sanojesi Äärelle is by far my favourite. I like everything on that album, but vocals are just fucking stunning! Great band.
_________________
http://behest.netii.net | http://behestzine.tictail.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
invinCIBility



Joined: 15 Apr 2012
Posts: 438

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking for the first demo.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hørus



Joined: 07 Dec 2010
Posts: 1900

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ääniä Yössä & Sanojesi Äärelle are great albums.
Sudentaival however was a huge disapointement.
_________________
2014 list (Seth, SFE, Satanic Warmaster, Blut Aus Nord, Sunn O))), Shining, Celestia, Mz.412, Hellfest, ...) : http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=814863#814863
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Valgrinder



Joined: 27 Sep 2008
Posts: 827
Location: Finland

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got somehow tired of Horna until heard "Sanojesi Äärellä" and it really made me interest of them again. There is so much feeling on that record, especially "Merkuriana" is really bold move. Its almost like a twisted & sad lovesong. Most likely my alltime fave Horna track.

And gotta give them respect that they made finnish sung black metal popular. Like it or not, but "Hiidentorni" was that record.

Horna got lots of shit when releasing so much in so little time. But last full-lenght came in 2008 and this new one five years later. So howabout that?
_________________
Mors fennico more
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
VOTHANA666



Joined: 14 Apr 2011
Posts: 249

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...AY is thier best album after Hiidentorni...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Vidar



Joined: 09 Aug 2011
Posts: 294
Location: Finland

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiidentorni & Envaatnags Eflos Solf Esgantaavne are my favourite ones.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group