P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Your favorite/most listened to bands ever
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frozen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Your favorite/most listened to bands ever Reply with quote

As I've grown older a pattern has begun to emerge. I have gone through so many phases (as we all must) and yet there are bands that have stayed with me through and through. Bands that I just keep coming back to no matter where I'm at in life. Bands that keep mesmerizing me for new reasons. I often see people utter sentences like "one of my favorite (insert x genre) bands ever", but I wonder what bands/albums you've actually listened to the most. The one's that have kept you fascinated and have contributed the soundtrack to a large portion of your lives.

Mine (within the Metal realm) have without a doubt been:

Metallica (Ride The Lightning to And Justice For All)

Morbid Angel (Altars Of Madness to Formulas Fatal To The Flesh)

Mayhem (De Mysteriis in particular)

There are a million other bands out there that I love and have spent hours and hours listening to, but none of them come close to these.
Holocaust

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cure (mostly 70s and 80s).

The Sisters Of Mercy(up to floodland but mostly early material)
ntrvrsn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkthrone from the 90's.
ToadstoolMoon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercyful Fate/King Diamond - the otherworldly, haunting and yet very emotional vibe of this music is something I can never imagine myself getting tired of

1st wave black metal bands - Venom , Bathory, Hellhammer/CF, Tormentor
- that archaic feeling of darkness is something I need all the time

Judas Priest - the epitome of everything metal, almost flawless discography through the 70s & 80s

Led Zeppelin & Black Sabbath - two of the biggest 70s rock bands, like light & darkness, I need both of them to be happy/gloomy

Gentle Giant - everything that was/is amazing about prog

Forgotten Woods (especially Sjel av Natten) - the kind of music for introverted moments when you either sit at home doing nothing, or go on a long walk through the woods

Nastrond - Toteslaut - the ultimate expression of putrefactive darkness & morbidity, there is something about this kind of sinister atmosphere that makes me crave for it all the time

Massacre - From Beyond - one of the first death metal albums I've heard as a kid, still embodies everything good about that style to me, especially the old school horror feeling

Mr. Bungle/ Nurse With Wound/ Sun City Girls/ Zappa/ Igor Wakhevitch, etc - when I need to trip on bizarre experimental music

Solefald - Neonism - probably a gay album for most people here, but it is a perfect representation of the modern world for me, with all the monstrous and fascinating aspects

Last edited by ToadstoolMoon on Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
GoldenBull

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minor Threat
Black Flag
Dead Kennedys
Slayer

These bands are such a big part of my personal development and musical history that I barely even need to play them anymore. Every song and lyric is permanently etched into my brain and I can "listen" to them without even turning on a stereo. Obviously for Slayer that only goes up to South of Heaven, but...you get the idea.
Steken

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mayhem - De Mysteriis... and Current 93.
heavyR

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incantation's first two LPs. Black Witchery.

Buy this crap.
Piotr Sargnagel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, honesty is key here. Bear in mind that when you're younger a year seems like a very long time indeed and when you only have ten tapes the choice is limited.

Up to about 8 or nine years old: Bach's Brandenburg Concertos

Ten to 13: Powerslave, Michael Jackson's Bad

Teenage years it was probably Morbid visions, Mental Funeral and Under a funeral moon, possibly also Testimony of the ancients

Early twenties: Zappa's Hot rats

Mid-twenties to now: Karisma by Sabbat but I can't be 100% sure.

Fallback album is one I haven't listened to for years but is always there, kinda like a really good friend that lives in a faraway country: Piece of Mind.

Arg hard to answer this!!
speedevilucifer

Nice topic.
For me classics are the best and most endless listenable.
Slayer ('till mid 90s),Judas Priest 80s,Kiss (till Creatures),Ted Nugent first three,Bathory (almost all),Manowar first four,Manilla Road (till Courts of Chaos),Cirith Ungol first 3,Motorhead ('til orgasmatron),Sabbath (Ozzy),Trouble (first two),Ozzy first 3 albums,Destruction (till Eternal ..)Morbid Angel ('till Formulas),Darkthrone (almost all)..

After all those, there are many single full length albums,like INRI ,Strappado,De Mysteriis,Power and Pain,Black thrash attack,Heresy,Pleasure to Kill,Bonded by Blood, and hundreds more .
I believe for most of them,that it was each band ''peak'' without a logical musical duration and career, like Slayer,Motorhead or Bathory for example.

There are many new albums,that easily could be compared with the old classics.Vomitor,Cultes des Ghoules ,Archgoat,Coffins,Goatmoon etc etc.

I'm sure I have forgot a dozen more....
Vegeta

ToadstoolMoon wrote:
Mercyful Fate/King Diamond - the otherworldly, haunting and yet very emotional vibe of this music is something I can never imagine myself getting tired of

Judas Priest - the epitome of everything metal, almost flawless discography through the 70s & 80s

well-phrased

want/tradelist: http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=939479#939479
Final Holocaust

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing tops the classics for me as well. I knew I'd agree at least with half of speedevilucifer's list, and by classics I mean those bands that are nothing short but a therapy for bad times: Slayer, Sabbath, Judas, Maiden (Di Anno), Mot÷rhead (sp. Iron Fist but anything works for me), Destruction/Kreator/Sodom, Metallica's Master (definition of "quintessential" for me), et al. Hail and kill, A.!

I'd say my most listened bands would be Celtic Frost (most certainly my favourite band ever, best guitar tone, best compositions, best concept, best lyrics), Autopsy (I like the newer albums but I'm sp. talking about the pre-reunion era), Incantation (each time I listen to any album by them I find myself surrounded in that haunting maelstrom that never ceases to amaze me), Nuclear Death (still trying to understand some riffs and structures in songs I know from a long time ago), Terrorizer's debut (favourite hangover cure) and Impetigo (a band that's really special for me, conjuring sickness, darkness and some kind of disturbing fun I really adore). Corrupted belongs to the list as well for obvious reasons.

Some Cianide mania is never missing, man I love that band. Same goes for Dream Death and Armoured Angel, they conform my triunvirate of UG sacred cows at drunken banters.

Out of the metal realm I really enjoy anything by Swans/Gira and Nick Cave, and Pink Floyd as a crucial band for my musical development I'm always revisiting.

As for newer bands, none.
Subcide

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iron Maiden

Nick Cave

Johnny Cash

Leonard Cohen

Sticky Filth

Ramones

Nirvana ('Bleach' album)
In Solitude

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ToadstoolMoon wrote:

1st wave black metal bands - Venom , Bathory, Hellhammer/CF, Tormentor
- that archaic feeling of darkness is something I need all the time

Precisely this, and I'd just add the obscure Eastern European/Yugo extreme bands of the 80s and early 90s. MASTER'S HAMMER Ritual is perfection.

Actually, VOMITOR has captured the 1st wave feeling remarkably well. I always want to listen to that insanity.
Hvit Varulv

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I try to remember what I was listening to 10 years ago, the only band I'm still listening to is Rammstein Very Happy
horrificus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Autopsy for death
Absu for black

Both these bands provide a multitude of killer albums and continue to do so nowadays.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: