P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Taking japanese bands for serious..
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Airyanem Vaejah

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADB wrote:
Spanish? Not cool or evil at all (unless you try to imitate 80ies Southamerican Deathrash, but then you're an idiot)

Listen to Purging tongues.
CR99

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Visually they're more often than not one-upping the worst of the 80ies glam stuff, sometimes with some tacky WWII or gimmicky "satanic" shit going on, then there is the weird humor (gezol thong) and nonsensical slogan-engrish, shrill vocals and so on. I can definately see why the japanese metal scene is not favorable or only humorous to most. It often looks/sounds like a parody, though technically it's quality stuff.

I have a hard time picking a japanese band that isn't at least a bit typical, because I'm not really interested in that. Millarca and Bellzlleb were genuinely creepy Doom Metal, some Death Metal bands weren't too ridiculous...

sabbat666 probably could help but he doesn't appear to be around these days.
midgetviolence

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sabbat is a band that deserves all respect in the world, not for their deep philosophical lyrics that change your life. But simply because of Gezol's sheer enthusiasm for metal. I can't think of any band more dedicated to old school black/thrash metal than Sabbat. Although the albums sounds a little different (of course) they have never done anything but Sabbat! I even think they grow better as the time pass. Which is really rare for bands in this genre.

And as someone else mentioned. Japanese RAC scene is one of the best in the world. I've yet to check out the Japanese Noise-scene. But I'm looking forward to doing that...
the wizard

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nileppez wrote:
Anyone into the japenese band Gargoyle? I've heard only few songs of them, and while some had great thrashy parts, many were filled with pointless progressive shit, is there any album that keeps the outside influence to minimum?

This band is terrible Laughing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_82229-WVUc or even better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dOV22-9xPE
death

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casbah
holy ghost

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like a lot of the Japanese noise - Incapacitants, Masonna, Hijokaidan, Government Alpha... these guys seem to be totally legit and passionate in what they do. I have a special place in my heart for Merzbow, I think I own like 40 of his CDs and even have the special Merzbow tote bag that came with the special edition of the 13 Japanese Birds series.... I use it to buy groceries, including meat and know he would not approve....

I remember reading somewhere that in Japan the culture of underground is very different, in Western society it is very hip to say you're "over" metal, or "that shit's all in my past" where in Japan loosing your enthusiasm is not regarded as a symbol of status, but more of failure.... I don't know where I read this? MRR? It was a looooong time ago but I always remember that when I'm selling CDs thinking about how passionate I used to be about everything and now I'm a boring jaded "old" (not really) fuck....
Xeniteia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since most 80's HM bands were about having fun with one's friend, becoming rock stars, etc, even if there were occult lyrics or an aggressive attitude, there's no shame listening to Japanese Metal IMO.

And people never ever cared to understand lyrics from some French 80's HM bands. Sometimes they don't relate to HM even with comedy in mind. They were deadly serious about their naive life-loving crap (SORTILÈGE) or their wannabe rock-star attitude (SATAN JOKERS). Man, SABBAT lyrics are maybe total engrish, but they are far more entertaining at least.
Haunt In The Dark

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xeniteia wrote:

And people never ever cared to understand lyrics from some French 80's HM bands. Sometimes they don't relate to HM even with comedy in mind. They were deadly serious about their naive life-loving crap (SORTILÈGE) or their wannabe rock-star attitude (SATAN JOKERS). Man, SABBAT lyrics are maybe total engrish, but they are far more entertaining at least.

Do you think DEMON EYES were dead serious when they were singing about "la plus grande touze de l'Enfer" Cool
Xeniteia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course DEMON EYES weren't. Like H-BOMB weren't too. And that was great.

But SORTILÈGE were serious to the bone, and despite the fact that their lyrics were quite well-written, I can't associate "Quand un aveugle rêve" with Heavy-Metal. Give me Satan and motorbikes instead, please! Cool

Back to topic, Japanese Metal bands did offer us Satan and motorbikes, so I'm fine with it. Oh, yeah, social issues too when it comes to Thrash and Hardcore, but that's part of the game too.
Haunt In The Dark

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I know Sortilège were serious. I still love them.
Xeniteia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do too. Wink
Necrosathanas

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOUDNESS or DIE
hevosrunkkari

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haunt In The Dark wrote:
Japanese people are the most die-hard maniacs in the Universe both in punk and metal scenes.

If you have a hard time taking them seriously because of their Engrish, you're an idiot.

Exactly.

Its not about japanese, 90% of metal is humorous anyway, no matter what country. As for japanese black metal, its one of the most unique, painful and "real" music i've ever heard. As mentioned by Blutkvlt, Manierisme, Funeral Elegy, Arkha Sva, Avsolutized, et cetera. Great artists.
little_raven

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Blutkvlt too. Also, THE NOISE (Merzbow, Masonna, Incapacitants, etc)

I also used to be in love with these female-fronted eclectic pop-punk-noise such as Midori or Melt-Banana. Not a maniac anymore but I enjoy them albums from time to time.
Longinus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like a lot the Japanese black metal scene, I enjoyed a lot the HAKUJA LP, an INFERNAL NECROMANCY EP (Freezing Blackstained Universe), GORUGOTH stuff, etc...

By the way HURUSOMA released a demo with italian titles. Never listened to it, if anybody has it for trade/sell, get in touch !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: