P R O D U C T I O N S
 
 FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 
 Profile 
 Log in to check your private messages 
 Log in 

Taking tapes through airport scan...
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Blutkvlt



Joined: 25 Feb 2010
Posts: 5580
Location: latino wizards guild

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Taking tapes through airport scan... Reply with quote

Does anyone know if taking tapes through an airport in a carry-on would fuck them up? I'm assuming so, I've heard about people receiving fucked tapes from overseas they assumed had been x-rayed.
_________________
"I really wonder what's the source of this gayness music"

MY TRADELIST/WANTLIST:
http://nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21928
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
grimalkin



Joined: 09 May 2006
Posts: 185

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Dispirit went to RoD, I brought our tapes as carry-on. I haven't heard complaints about blank or fucked up demos bought at RoD, so I'd guess no.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fallen_Empire
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally fine. I've flown many times with a backpack full of tapes and never had any problems.
Back to top
Demoniarch



Joined: 12 Mar 2008
Posts: 5900

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were two tapes that came in an Osmose order that were fucked for me. No obvious reason except to blame a magnetic occurence somewhere during transit.

I never did bother to write Osmose to ask if it was something on their end, but they have been in business long enough to handle tapes properly I would assume Laughing
So that simply leaves transit, and to get an answer from those fucks... yea right.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xyosefx



Joined: 06 Aug 2009
Posts: 5286
Location: We lived among the people. I think you say "convenience store." We lived above it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallen_Empire wrote:
Totally fine. I've flown many times with a backpack full of tapes and never had any problems.

_________________
Analog Worship label & distro (click for link)

Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
little_raven



Joined: 17 Aug 2011
Posts: 949

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the exposure to the x-rays is too short to inflict damage. But I might be wrong
_________________
IXTAB wrote:
Lots or retarded shit on the forum today.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Orpheus



Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 741
Location: Toronto

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless I'm mistaken, since X-Rays are a frequency FAR above the audio range they cant actually do anything to sound data recorded on magnetic tape.
I think.... Confused
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ADB



Joined: 20 Jan 2009
Posts: 2334
Location: Melbourne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They can fuck DAT tapes, but not analogue tapes
_________________
Ignivomous merch: abaddon_963[at]hotmail.com
Whitehorse Bandcamp
Voidchrist Bandcamp
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tireheb



Joined: 18 Aug 2007
Posts: 6038
Location: Finland

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADB wrote:
They can fuck DAT tapes, but not analogue tapes

And also minidiscs? Not sure though.
_________________
Kojiri wrote:
To buy lots of die hards, see them ebayed before you, and hear the lamentations of NWN.
rauta wrote:
I have this record and can someone tell me what it sounds like, please.


"You can't hide the hook!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
samsquanch



Joined: 16 Nov 2010
Posts: 767

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't 'most' times when sending tapes or any parcel for that matter through the post get scanned? I would imagine that the machines would be similar to those used in airports.

I am basing this on watching far too many episodes of Border Security where old Chinese cunts have dried squid lining their suitcase and the like.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wasteland



Joined: 07 Jun 2009
Posts: 579

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

samsquanch wrote:
I am basing this on watching far too many episodes of Border Security where old Chinese cunts have dried squid lining their suitcase and the like.


Haha what the fuck?

And I've flown with tapes a couple times, no problems.
_________________
holy ghost wrote:
"as of 11th December 2012, black metal is for queers"


morg wrote:
Fuck is end!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dalihrob



Joined: 03 Nov 2009
Posts: 1406
Location: Czech republic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have once forgotten a tape in my backpack (due to some trading) and took it through the x-ray scan (twice) while traveling. The tape plays fine.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Silcharde



Joined: 28 Jun 2012
Posts: 27
Location: Florida, U.S.A.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-rays are not magnetic, and therefore, have no effect on magnetic media such as audio cassettes.

However, some international airports do use magnetic devices to inspect luggage; simply request a non-magnetic inspection.
_________________
www.silcharderecords.com
Discogs Sale List: www.discogs.com/seller/SilchardeRecords
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
LordTheynian



Joined: 26 Oct 2011
Posts: 447
Location: Helsinki

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demoniarch wrote:
No obvious reason except to blame a magnetic occurence somewhere during transit.



_________________
https://www.facebook.com/dodkvlt
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Humus



Joined: 05 May 2007
Posts: 2893

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silcharde wrote:
However, some international airports do use magnetic devices to inspect luggage; simply request a non-magnetic inspection.


Must be the case, because I remember flying from Rome back in 1998 or so and the tape in my walkman was completely noised-out when I got back home. Confused
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group