P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Ascension (ger)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
morfumax

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consolamentum is awesome, With Burning Tongues is awesome, and I'm betting the next album will be awesome.

Also is it Arioch of Odem Arcarum and Secrets of the Moon that does vocals for Ascension?
Hobophobic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

morfumax wrote:

Also is it Arioch of Odem Arcarum and Secrets of the Moon that does vocals for Ascension?

Michael Zech, yes.

[quote="holy ghost"]
So basically... who gives a cats whiskers?[/quote]
morfumax

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Henry.
frostjunkie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the demo since it was released and think it's quite good. I fell victim to judging the album by its artwork though, I hate that Blut Aus Nord looking crap that all looks the exact same and it made me not want to even listen to it so I never did. If it had a black and white goat on a stick for the cover I probably would've.
morfumax

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frostjunkie wrote:
I've had the demo since it was released and think it's quite good. I fell victim to judging the album by its artwork though, I hate that Blut Aus Nord looking crap that all looks the exact same and it made me not want to even listen to it so I never did. If it had a black and white goat on a stick for the cover I probably would've.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
frostjunkie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad but true! This thread is convincing me otherwise Embarassed
morfumax

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBpKVac0DJU
Thoth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Burning Tongues is some of the best black metal released in recent years. Consolamentum was a disappointment. Flat album, not much interest and some really boring compositions. I actually heard that they are working very hard on their new album and that in fact they had a 2nd album fully written very shortly after Consolamentum but they decided to scrap it altogether because they weren't satisfied with it.

Hopefully this new one brings back some of the feelings of the demo. Great band otherwise.
Infernal Dominion

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hallucinogen wrote:
Typical metalheads. The album has some amazing riffs and songs, but all they care about is whether or not the production is necro enough. Fucking sigh...
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was/is a great band.

The problem with bands like this... initially they make a stir, but they are too sophisticated and artistic and after the initial interest in the odd creativity offered by these kinds of acts everyone resorts back to the simple and brutal chaos of a less creative nature and the overtly complex artistic bands slide off to the side again in favor of ...well, vile and straight forward bestial metal.

This seems to happen with all the black metal bands trying to expand the realm of black metal artistically... deep rich and complex concepts, initial interest, becomes too intricate and layered and the simple stuff maintains it's grip on the underground.

Lots of highly detailed bands not talked about so much anymore that made huge initial waves. Deathspell Omega for example is probably the biggest name I could mention.
Stormheit

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thoth wrote:
With Burning Tongues is some of the best black metal released in recent years. Consolamentum was a disappointment. Flat album, not much interest and some really boring compositions. I actually heard that they are working very hard on their new album and that in fact they had a 2nd album fully written very shortly after Consolamentum but they decided to scrap it altogether because they weren't satisfied with it.

Hopefully this new one brings back some of the feelings of the demo. Great band otherwise.

Give Consolamentum some more chance. I simply can't understand that those who liked With Burning Tongues did not like the continuation. Personally, my favourite compositions on WBT were Grey Queen, Coldblooded Grace and The Serpents Gate. These are ultimate masterpieces on that killer demo and if someone listens to Consolamentum carefully it can be clearly heard that the initial ideas of With Burning Tongues that were great were transformed and worked into an even more superior art with killer compositions and songwriting and with killer production from all the instruments. I did not find any boring there. If I had to pick most boring songs from those Ascension has released so far I would say Sin Harvest and With Burning Tongues songs from the demo - even if they are good too.
In Solitude

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thoth wrote:

100% agreed. The full-length does not stand up compositionally or atmospherically. Demo had way better songs/feeling.
Thoth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demoniarch wrote:
The problem with bands like this... initially they make a stir, but they are too sophisticated and artistic and after the initial interest in the odd creativity offered by these kinds of acts everyone resorts back to the simple and brutal chaos of a less creative nature and the overtly complex artistic bands slide off to the side again in favor of ...well, vile and straight forward bestial metal.

This seems to happen with all the black metal bands trying to expand the realm of black metal artistically... deep rich and complex concepts, initial interest, becomes too intricate and layered and the simple stuff maintains it's grip on the underground.

Lots of highly detailed bands not talked about so much anymore that made huge initial waves. Deathspell Omega for example is probably the biggest name I could mention.

I do agree to some degree. It seems sometimes in complexity we may lose the essence of the work itself. Carefully crafted, simple melodies and riffs can be much more effective than multiple layers of instruments - I think Mgla's latest album is a good example. However, depth and detail can also make even more grandiose and marking albums, if they are layered adequately and are not disposable.

I for one, listen to Ascension, Deathspell Omega, Aosoth, Nightbringer, etc. extremely often because their work is so finely done; I never get tired of them and the complexity/depth of their albums always make me rediscover the songs. However, I understand not everyone appreciates complexity and also find that sometimes, straightforwardness can be just as rewarding as complexity. I guess it's all a matter of how and why it is made.

As for Consolamentum, I have given it enough proper listens since it has come out to be certain of my judgement. I tried again & again to appreciate it but I simply cannot get down to it. There are some good parts, but they are few & far between.
holyhell666

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoping for a new release this year...
ApparitionOfferings

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

morfumax wrote:
Do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBpKVac0DJU

Killer fucking riff at 54 seconds. Good song.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: