P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Why don't bands/labels reproduce old shirts/records"
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ADB

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cursed Emperor wrote:
While we're at it, I'll say it again: backprints for shirts are retarded!

Depends what it is, some back prints are killer, pretty much half my shirts. But they don't have bullshit slogans on them
Aaattaack

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bandphotos on the back are horrible as well. I stick with bootleg shirt...
HotBlack

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I want to know is... why don't they make shirts now like they used to!

When I look at the print quality and aesthetic of the prints on my old shirts compared to new shirts... the older prints are hands down better. More colors, finer detail and the designs/artwork in general are just ...more suited to being a shirt print, like the people doing the artwork were really taking into consideration that they were making something that was meant for a garment, not just a cool piece of artwork that can then be slapped onto any kind of merchandise-able item... hard to put into words exactly the distinction, but it is there...obv. there are still top quality shirts being made and my sentiments are not universal..

Bring back Blue Grape!
xyosefx

Location: We lived among the people. I think you say, convenience store. We lived above it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HotBlack wrote:

When I look at the print quality and aesthetic of the prints on my old shirts compared to new shirts... the older prints are hands down better. More colors, finer detail and the designs/artwork in general are just ...more suited to being a shirt print, like the people doing the artwork were really taking into consideration that they were making something that was meant for a garment, not just a cool piece of artwork that can then be slapped onto any kind of merchandise-able item... hard to put into words exactly the distinction, but it is there...obv. there are still top quality shirts being made and my sentiments are not universal..

Bring back Blue Grape!

Really? I look at the shirts being made by, for instance, Vault of Dried Bones, and I'd say they're far superior to any older shirts, n quality and design.

Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
xray

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HotBlack wrote:

A lot of places don't bother screen-printing anymore. They use what is essentially a large ink-jet printer to get the "ink" onto the shirt. While it has some advantages (full-color prints, don't have to burn separate screens) that make it muuuuch cheaper to print, the quality of the print itself (ink durability especially) sucks ass. Nothing worse than seeing fucking pixels on your print. The only ones made in this fashion that I can handle are those made with discharge ink.

I design and print t-shirts on occasion, and I always opt for a traditional screen-print. The print itself holds up better in the long run, and I've found that it also makes people think more about what they're putting on the shirt. Is the design too busy, too many goddamned colors, etc? You know, employing some actual design sensibility rather than just vomiting a mess onto cotton.

Re: backprints. Within reason, I like them. I have a Teitanblood shirt with a killer backprint -- logo on the front, artwork from the split with Proclamation on the back. But moronic slogans or band photo? Fuck me, no. Gods, those kinds of backprints are shit.
HotBlack

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xyosefx wrote:
HotBlack wrote:

Bring back Blue Grape!

Really? I look at the shirts being made by, for instance, Vault of Dried Bones, and I'd say they're far superior to any older shirts, n quality and design.

HotBlack wrote:
...obv. there are still top quality shirts being made and my sentiments are not universal..

xray wrote:
...a traditional screen-print. The print itself holds up better in the long run, and I've found that it also makes people think more about what they're putting on the shirt. Is the design too busy, too many goddamned colors, etc? You know, employing some actual design sensibility rather than just vomiting a mess onto cotton.

This is precisely the crux of my gist.
ravage

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one thing. Fuck changing album covers on reissues. In 9 cases out of 10 the new cover is worse.

Don't care for shirts though, mostly wear my old metal shirts at home anyway or if not, then under more normal clothes as I'd wear any random shirt. Hardly ever buy new ones.
xray

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HotBlack wrote:

This is precisely the crux of my gist.

Yep, I totally get where you're coming from. While there are still some great shirts being made, a lot of shirts are just ill-considered shit because it's easy/cheap to make those nozzle-printed shirts. Just upload any old photo or crap design that you slapped together in photoshop, rip it to the proper file type, and print away! No thought given if the art itself will look terrible printed on a black t-shirt (because the nozzle ink is thinner and less vibrant than those used in traditional screen-printing), or if the colors will end up looking muddy and the image indistinct because cotton is an absorbent matte material not generally suited to artwork with fine tonal gradation.

ETA: I've ranted about a lot of things in my life, but this is a first for ranting about t-shirt printing techniques. A strangely satisfying way to start my day. Laughing
moonan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cursed Emperor wrote:

Yeah logo shirts are the best I have so many great shirts with good front prints that I don't wear because they have some cheesy quote taken out of context printed on the back in block capitals.
Haunt In The Dark

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cursed Emperor wrote:

I agree.

Backprints, sleeveprints and hoodprints make you look like an idiot. Slogans are even more stupid. I can't take any adult with some immature "Fuck off and die" -like slogan or anything about panzerfistfucking necrobitches written on their back seriously. Grow up.
Haunt In The Dark

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, regarding tshirts, massive thickass colourful prints look dumb because the thickness of the ink prevents the tshirt from "falling right" on the body. I hate that.

And traditionnal screenprinting definitely holds better, looks better on the fabric, and is much cheaper to make in general (and it's also more ecological but I understand that it's a concept pretty hard to grasp for most basement-dwelling goons trying hard to practice their internet misanthropy and the least of their concern.)
ADB

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HotBlack wrote:

Bring back Blue Grape!

You're kidding right? Blue Grape were responsible for the worst designs known to man (I present exhibit A: Pantera all-over fucking hostile faggot shirt). Most of the time these sorts of shirts just had the album artwork on the front and some bullshit "Brutal Music for Brutal Aspies" on the back. The reason they could afford to do full colour shirts was because they were only paying the artist some bullshit 4c royalty, so they had enough money to splash around on 40 screens for one shirt.

My Heresiarch and Teitenblood shirts individually rule over all my shitty Blue Grape shirts I bought as a dumb kid in the 90's combined (Divine Intervention Slayer shirt excluded, because that's the tits)
Reaper's Grave

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the designs were probably more of the time anyway. Some of them look downright cartoonish on that site compared to whats pumped out these days.

I dislike back prints except for tour dates, useless and dumb, though i generally dislike most shirts anyway so who am i to judge?
VOTHANA666

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...they always printed logos/images so small on old metal shirts that one would have squint their eyes to see it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: