P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

First listen - "Nope", Second listen - Yeah
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snakenuts

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject: First listen - "Nope", Second listen - Yeah Reply with quote

Some albums break your balls from the first listen. Others take time to grow, and like a bottle of fine red, only get better with age. But what are some of the albums (any genre) that you almost passed on after the first listen, but for some reason or another you listened to it again and thought, "damn, this is awesome!"

There will probably be a countless number of albums like this, and maybe the memory of the impact has faded, but what are some albums like this that stick out in your memory?

There might be many reasons why you didnt take to it on the first listen, such as being distracted with other things, or not in a good state of mind, little time for deep appreciation, etc etc.

List some titles like this.

I have a lot over the years, but two recent ones are are sticking out in my mind lately:
Yellow Eyes - Sick with Bloom
Mispyrming - Songvar elds og Oreiou

I somehow gave up on these two with the first listen, but after a bit of a breather I decided to give them another go. On the second listen I was blown away by their brilliance. Two of 2015's finest (not in my Top 10, but still pretty effing good) indeed!

Last edited by snakenuts on Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:20 am; edited 5 times in total
lifeless

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macabre omen - gods of war, at war

was really really retarded to write it off upon first listen, but I was clearly distracted
Aargh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deathrow - Deception Ignored.

Didn't really like it at all initially, because it doesn't really sound like Deathrow at all and the vocals probably aren't all that great either, but it's actually pretty great and unique, in my opinion their best and certainly most interesting album by quite a large margin. I absolutely love the guitarwork on that album, as it's really complex, varied and creative without ever crossing the line to pointless wankery.
In sea or sky or underground
autonomous deity

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercyful Fate - Melissa

Never heard vocals like that the first time I listened to it. Didn't know what to think. On the 2nd listen, everything clicked instantly.
holy ghost

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took me a while to really understand the greatness of YES. Initially upon hearing Close to the Edge it didn't grab me.

Now I get they are the greatest band in the UNIVERSE.
One-master

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

autonomous deity wrote:
Mercyful Fate - Melissa

Never heard vocals like that the first time I listened to it. Didn't know what to think. On the 2nd listen, everything clicked instantly.

Took me more than 10 years to retry this, I now listen atleast once a week.
metalheadjoe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

autonomous deity wrote:
Mercyful Fate - Melissa

Mercyful Fate/King Diamond in general was like this for me because of the vocals. Now I think they're fantastic.
RIDRID

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soundgarden - Superunknown
Badmotorfinger will always be my fave, but this one has good grooves, man. Feels good.

You are in the middle of the road.
snakenuts

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll add another band/album to this list

A Japanese pop/rock band called Passpied. When I first listened to their second last album "Marunouchiism" I hated it because of the female lead vocalist's whiney voice.
I thought, "fucking hell, not another one/pop-vocalist-clone" - because here in Japan almost all females sound the same, and it gets annoying sometimes.
But for some reason I decided to listen again, and paid more attention to the vocals this time - and they are actually quite distinct when you listen carefully.
Also, her lyrics are insane. She uses words and phrases that even a lot of Japanese people don't get. So maybe that's part of the attraction for me as well.
Now, their albums are constantly in my iphone.
Rostam

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triptykon

Katatonia's "dark rock" (or whatever you want to call it) material. I think I might have literally said "NOPE" as I closed my browser less than a minute into the video for "My Twin," but The Great Cold Distance is now one of my favorite albums of all time.
NLP

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As written above. Mercyful fate/King Diamond really took ages before I could even understand and appreciate the vocals. Now its some of the greatest ever.

Remember I had the same problem with Burzum when I first heard it.
nomapple

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urfaust, just getting past the vocals. Now I love them.

Vemod because I didn't like the ambient tracks at first.

Svartidaudi because I initially wrote them off as a DSO rip off.
Evilman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incubus - Serpent Temptation (original mix)

I was rather young when i discovered this one and was a big fan of Megadeth, Coroner, Sepultura, and more on the technical side of thrash metal. The muddy mix and the vocals made me think of a very, very average record at the time... Now i totally understand it's reputation.

Morbid Saint - Spectrum of Death

Same as above, i was pretty young and it was maybe too much overcharged for me haha, this is one goddamn killer album of course.

Metalucifer - Heavy Metal Drill

I was already fan of Sabbat for a long time but never took the time to check Metalucifer, i just knew their over-the-top attitude. I thought it was a good album, but very repetitive, with few great songs. I liked it, but not that much. But the more i listened it, the more I loved these riffs... And that amazing guitarwork !

That's just examples when i was quite young however, I can't think of any recently discovered record right now...
MezzoForte

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iron Maiden - Brave New World

only a few songs really stuck out to me on first listen, but after being able to really digest the album I came to love pretty much the whole album. I still usually skip The Mercenary, though.
TEKWRX

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inquisition. First hearing it the vocals maybe me say "nope". Then saw them open on the Moonspell tour and was blown away. I've since bought all the albums on vinyl and it is some of my favorite black metal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: