P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

BOLT THROWER announce US tour with BENEDICTION!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Twilight Command

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brooklyn Bastard 666 wrote:
Travis N. wrote:
Wow, those shirts are sick and cheap as hell. I'll be getting a few in Chicago.

T-shirts do not HAVE to be $20 or $25.
Bolt Thrower know this.
Hope they do a NYC show before I am dead.

Bolt Thrower's entire economic model is totally different from pretty much any other band. At its heart is their lasting popularity.

Most popular bands are on major labels. Ever read Steve Albini's "The Problem With Music?" He does a really good job explaining why most major label artists are fucked. Those big paychecks they receive are actually advances that have to be paid back to the labels. Only the biggest bands ever do. The rest are in perpetual debt. Bolt Thrower may release their albums through the big independents, but they're still not caught in the web of major label debt. That means they don't have to worry about t-shirt sales as their only source of touring income or as a means to pay back the label. This keeps prices down.

Furthermore, Bolt Thrower doesn't play out too frequently. Combine that with their popularity and you're on your way to sold out shows. That lets them ask promoters for more money than other bands and reasonably expect to get it. Bigger checks just for showing up means less reliance on shirt income.

Bolt Thrower also goes after bootleg merch. This may seem fucked up at first glance, but it increases demand for official merch. The band's refusal to sell merch online amplifies this factor. That means they can print a ton of shirts for gigs and get the sort of prices that go along with quantity ordering. The demand for merch also means that promoters can expect even more tickets to be sold because of the purchasing opportunity presented by a Bolt Thrower show. The merch lines that accompany these shows mean more people showing up early. For club owners, that means more beer sold. The expectation of more beer being sold means club owners can be amenable to a promoter's efforts to negotiate a lower price for renting the hall. Less money spent on the space means promoters finding themselves better able to meet Bolt Thrower's guarantee, transportation requests, traveling crew costs, etc. As mentioned above, actually getting paid by promoters leads to less reliance on shirt income.

Punk bands keep prices down through an entirely different set of methods. Many print their own shirts. The designs are simpler and the quality is sometimes a little off, but it's punk and cheap. There's also the whole "fuck money" punk rock attitude. Barely making a profit on merch and losing money on touring means the kids can afford to go to shows and buy shirts, but it keeps punk and hardcore a playground for middle class kids. If you want to stay active in punk/hardcore long term, you either have to be able to afford to lose money on your hobby or you have to "sell out" and start running your band, label, etc like the business it really is.

Most underground (or even "big") death/black metal bands don't enjoy Bolt Thrower's popularity. They can't ask for the big show guarantees, save money on massive shirt orders, etc. I paid more for a Deiphago shirt at Deathfest than I did for a Bolt Thrower shirt. Made sense to me. It was more expensive for Deiphago to print that shirt and they weren't getting paid as much to be there. It's also likely that they were incurring more expenses by touring. Bolt Thrower has everything going for them in terms of selling cheap shirts. Other bands pay more in the first place and have to make more money per shirt just to get to the next tour date.
EARLGREYTEA

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WELL SAID ...
MoshItUp

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

satanic ritual abuse wrote:
RottingGrandmaCorpse wrote:
Why do punk/crusters like BT?

old English grind/punk scene, anti-war sentiments, good music...

BT is technically a UKHC band. they don't have roots in death metal. earache is their connection to death metal. BT is more associated with the Peaceville bands like Deviated Instinct, Axegrinder. earache broke them into the metal world. i'll be at the saturday chicago show. haven't seen BT since the 90's.
Brooklyn Bastard 666

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoshItUp wrote:
satanic ritual abuse wrote:
RottingGrandmaCorpse wrote:
Why do punk/crusters like BT?

old English grind/punk scene, anti-war sentiments, good music...

BT is technically a UKHC band. they don't have roots in death metal. earache is their connection to death metal. BT is more associated with the Peaceville bands like Deviated Instinct, Axegrinder. earache broke them into the metal world. i'll be at the saturday chicago show. haven't seen BT since the 90's.

Tons of my HC friends love BT and have since the early 90s.
The sick record covers, logo and Punk background helped, but mainly it was about the mosh parts a-plenty!
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the setlist been like for the post-MDF shows ?
funeralfog666

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blodhemn9 wrote:
What's the setlist been like for the post-MDF shows ?

The portland show was similar to this just a different song order i think, My memory isn't exact though.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/bolt-thrower/2013/oakland-metro-oakland-ca-13d9a1b5.html
Mortado

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seattle had a similar set list as well, again in a different order. Hail the undisputed champions of live death metal!
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, can't wait for rounds 2 and 3 this weekend !
Humus

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twilight Command wrote:
Furthermore, Bolt Thrower doesn't play out too frequently. Combine that with their popularity and you're on your way to sold out shows. That lets them ask promoters for more money than other bands and reasonably expect to get it. Bigger checks just for showing up means less reliance on shirt income.

Except that I've heard they keep their fees down and in return demand the promotors to do the same with their ticket prices. Don't know if they do this for festivals, but at Bolt thrower gigs I think I've never paid more than 15 for them and the opening bands. Considering all bands in the same death metal class are easily 25 entrance price (if you're lucky...) I think this could very much be true.

I've never ever had the impression money means a big deal to Bolt thrower.
Twilight Command

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humus wrote:
Twilight Command wrote:

Except that I've heard they keep their fees down and in return demand the promotors to do the same with their ticket prices. Don't know if they do this for festivals, but at Bolt thrower gigs I think I've never paid more than 15 for them and the opening bands. Considering all bands in the same death metal class are easily 25 entrance price (if you're lucky...) I think this could very much be true.

I've never ever had the impression money means a big deal to Bolt thrower.

Goddamn. If they're really doing this while charging $15 for a full-color double-sided tour shirt, then these guys are heroes.
Tireheb

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've understood that in Europe they are enough requested band on festivals that they can choose where to go play. They get that many offers.

At least they are finally coming back to Finland in one month. First and last time was in 2006.

"You can't hide the hook!"
Humus

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw them at two festivals last year. One was in the north of Holland where I paid 7 or so to see Bolt thrower, Enslaved and a load of other bands. The other was Ieperfest in Belgium which is a DIY non-commercial small scale hardcore festival.
I don't know their fees but for sure they could ask a LOT more if they decided to play Wacken or Graspop instead of small non-profit festivals.
Werewolf

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard once that they were offered to play Wacken and they turned down the offer. A part of the reason was (according to what I heard) that Wacken take a cut from the merch sales and they wanted BT to chrage at least 20 Euros or so per shirt...
Reaper's Grave

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humus wrote:
I saw them at two festivals last year. One was in the north of Holland where I paid 7 or so to see Bolt thrower, Enslaved and a load of other bands. The other was Ieperfest in Belgium which is a DIY non-commercial small scale hardcore festival.
I don't know their fees but for sure they could ask a LOT more if they decided to play Wacken or Graspop instead of small non-profit festivals.

Im sure there's some kind of scale for them, and chances are if they agreed the wacken they're making a much larger guarantee than if they're playing some small independent fest.

Since they can pick and choose. I'm wondering if the US appearance was then a the money is right thing, or it was more based on the time lapse the first time around.

it sounds like they keep a low guarantee, but istill wouldn't be surprised if they negotiate a high guarantee based on the sell out reputation for their shows because theres less risk of financial loss.
Climbatize311

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunday's Chicago date was great. Everything was mixed perfectly and the songs were crushing. I can't believe they played Salvo, Entrenched, and Killchain...my favorite songs from TWL.

Benediction was good too but they overstayed their welcome a bit. They played just as long a set as BT (or so it seemed). I can only put up with so much mediocre slam dm and punk riffs before my patience is up. Couldn't help but wonder if Benediction had played a shorter set, if BT would have gone on longer..ah well

EDIT:

I also wish they would have supported Honour Valour Pride a little more (or at all? I don't think I heard anything from it). That's an underrated BT album.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13

Jump to: