P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Godkiller - The Rebirth of the Middle Ages LP
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reaper's Grave

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drakk wrote:
mikelapocalipsis wrote:
It´s out now, 22 euro for it...

http://www.art-of-propaganda.de/shop/index.php?lang=en

What a joke. 22€ for a one-sided 12" of some mediocre third tier toilet bm? And people thought €25 for Tormentor was too much.

Deluxe packaging ain't cheap bro, besides who would buy it forthe music after all? Laughing
Tireheb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I bet it was not cheap to get a license from Peaceville for vinyl release.
I have this record and can someone tell me what it sounds like, please.

"You can't hide the hook!"
Cursed Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tireheb wrote:

This seems to be the biggest problem of all. I'm not familiar with these kinds of things, so can some one tell me if licenses are made for a press with a certain amount of copies, or is it just for the release on a certain format with no limitation involved?
DTBRex

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tireheb wrote:

Peaceville wrote:
We would be able to consider the license request for an amount of 2000 euros for a pressing, if that works.

Mikael

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DTBRex wrote:
Tireheb wrote:

Peaceville wrote:
We would be able to consider the license request for an amount of 2000 euros for a pressing, if that works.

Damn, that's a lot of money for such a small scale-release.
Cursed Emperor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DTBRex wrote:
Tireheb wrote:

Peaceville wrote:

So does that pressing come with a limitation chosen by peaceville or not? If not, then it's just plain stupid to press only 500 copies.
Haunt In The Dark

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cursed Emperor wrote:
DTBRex wrote:
Tireheb wrote:

Peaceville wrote:

So does that pressing come with a limitation chosen by peaceville or not? If not, then it's just plain stupid to press only 500 copies.

Yeah but if it's not limited enough customers will postpone buying it as soon as it's out and spend their money on other more limited releases.

Since this thread was made, I managed to grab a first press copy of the CD in perfect condition for 5€. Smaller artwork, I agree, but much better sound and cheaper price.
Deathexecution

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't think it's fair to publish the amount for the license in public after dtb can't pay this, but two other small ones had the guts to do this.
DTBRex

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deathexecution wrote:
I really don't think it's fair to publish the amount for the license in public after dtb can't pay this, but two other small ones had the guts to do this.

Why so? First of all, I could have paid it if I wanted to, but I did not. Adding this license fee to what you have to pay for a decent vinyl release would have made that release pretty much pointless economically, unless you gonna ask for 20+ EUR for each copy. What I did not want to do, either.

Secondly, who says the other two labels have paid the same amount? Maybe it was more, maybe it was less. I just quoted from my own correspondence with Peaceville from a few years ago, and that was the license fee they asked from me at that time.

Last but not least, maybe that license fee gives you some idea why the two labels have no choice but selling the vinyl at the price they do. It's not as if they gonna get rich by doing that, you know.
DTBRex

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cursed Emperor wrote:
DTBRex wrote:
Tireheb wrote:

Peaceville wrote:

Do you believe there are 1000+ people waiting for this release? You could have 1000 copies pressed, sell maybe 500 within a few months, and sit on the other 500 for years to come...
BlackMass

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haunt In The Dark wrote:
Since this thread was made, I managed to grab a first press copy of the CD in perfect condition for 5€. Smaller artwork, I agree, but much better sound and cheaper price.

Does anybody know what's the difference between the red-cd version and the white one ?
Twilight Command

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DTBRex wrote:
Last but not least, maybe that license fee gives you some idea why the two labels have no choice but selling the vinyl at the price they do. It's not as if they gonna get rich by doing that, you know.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Knowing that each record has a built in cost of 4€ just for Peaceville's licensing fee goes a long way in making the guys releasing it not look like price gougers. They're just paying the piper.

The 2000€ license might not make Peaceville look great, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. I was talking to one of the guys from Evoken at MDF and he said that they were pleasantly surprised that they were actually getting royalties from Peaceville's re-releases of their stuff. They didn't even have to pester the label about it. Peaceville bought the rights from Avantgarde, put out the CDs, and sent Evoken a check. Independent musicians get fucked around a lot, so hearing that Peaceville actually pays bands definitely builds some good will for them.
Cursed Emperor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DTBRex wrote:
Cursed Emperor wrote:
DTBRex wrote:
Tireheb wrote:

Peaceville wrote:

Do you believe there are 1000+ people waiting for this release? You could have 1000 copies pressed, sell maybe 500 within a few months, and sit on the other 500 for years to come...

Of course not. But I would say it's better to sell the first 500 in a few months and then sit on the other 500 copies for some years, when in the end you'll have more profit, you can charge less and people who discover this band later on won't have to pay the high price because it's a sold out collectors item. Every one benefits from this, appart from the record flipper.
exorientelux

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cursed Emperor wrote:
DTBRex wrote:
Cursed Emperor wrote:
DTBRex wrote:
Tireheb wrote:

Peaceville wrote:

Of course not. But I would say it's better to sell the first 500 in a few months and then sit on the other 500 copies for some years, when in the end you'll have more profit, you can charge less and people who discover this band later on won't have to pay the high price because it's a sold out collectors item. Every one benefits from this, appart from the record flipper.

Pressing 1000 copies instead of 500 would cost a lot more in the moment. So it would take years to make profit of it.
Twilight Command

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cursed Emperor wrote:

The 500 unsold LPs will take up space in the label's office (likely some guy's apartment, really) and the capital invested in pressing them will be sunk in this project instead of going toward publishing more records by more bands. This hurts the label, any bands that wanted to work with the label, and any fans who wanted more releases from those bands. The only people who benefit are people initially paying a few dollars less for the too numerous Godkiller 12" and the few people who will discover and desire the record over the coming years. The math doesn't add up.

Records like this have limited appeal and backstock only wastes a label's resources. Most labels only want backstock of evergreen, constantly selling releases. Only absolutely essential albums that everyone has in his collection (things like In the Nightside Eclipse) justify large pressings and backstock.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: