P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

CF/Hellhammer worship sound...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BENEDICTINE PALPITATIONS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Final Holocaust wrote:
pataphysicien wrote:
http://www.guitargeek.com/chat/complete-rig-27/celtic-frost-tone-73503/ wrote:
"I recorded all rhythm guitars for 'To Mega Therion' using my then standard rhythm guitar, a black Ibanez Iceman 50BK, the most simple and spartan version of the Iceman series but to me by far the best sounding of all Icemans for this kind of music. My leads were recorded using an Ibanez RR250 sharkfin.

"I mainly used the RR250 because it had a tremolo unit and the Iceman didn't. Other than that, I found the RR250's sound too thin for rhythm guitar recordings and thus never used it again after these sessions (in fact, I sold it).

"All pick-ups and accessories were standard factory issue.

"As far as amplification is concerned, I have used Marshall JCM800 stacks ever since the second half of Hellhammer's existence, and even though I have tried (and recorded) countless other amps over the years, I find the JCM800 to be superior to anything else when it comes to sheer brutality. I still used a JCM800 stack and an Iceman for almost all rhythm parts for the new album.

"For distortion I use an Ibanez tube screamer and the Marshall's distortion." - Tom Gabriel Fischer

as someone else said, the tone on the guitar should probably be turned down while pushing the rest of the mids and highs on the overdrive and the amp eq.

What about the low's? Pushed down to zero then, I assume?
B. Palpitations, I doubt all those Dunge÷nhammer/Apokalyptic Raids/Warhammer kind of bands use actual Marshall JCM800's. Well, some may...

Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe they used DSL2000's ? Its not like these are super rare or expensive amps Smile . Whats a used 800 or 900 lately $800? $1000? My point is that you want that 'sound' well .. in my opinion you can't really emulate the 'classic marshall sound' and have it ACTUALLY sound like that ..

But if you don't want to save for a real amp maybe go for something like an Ampeg VH140C .. Good bang for you buck for a good metal tone right out of the gate. It can more or less do it all. $300.
Weltering in Blood

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of CF/HH, just got Only Death is Real today...looking forward to reading it this weekend, looks excellent!
Primitive

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's this metallic crust/stenchcore bandI BELIEVE is called dog kill... I may be wrong, but I think that was the name, if not I'll edit this at some point. Anyways... saw em live once, and their guitar tone was like 100% identical in my opinion, they were even warming up with a hellhammer riff and I was like WTF???? But if you find a way to contact them and ask em what they use... i'd like to know what they use to, but was too drunk to pay attention or remember anyways. Shit was on target guitar tone wise tho.
dronevil

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: CF/Hellhammer worship sound... Reply with quote

Final Holocaust wrote:
Thanks for the tip... yeah, I got my tone knob turned all the way down. Now I think a Tube Screamer is all I need, I guess any would work, not necessarily that hard-to-get the TS9, right?

The Tubescreamer just acts as a booster which tightens the distortion of the amp and helps a bit on the pick attack, but it's not gonna provide you actual distortion you are looking for. If you can't afford a JCM800 then your best bet is to buy a good pedal that emulates a JCM800, for example AMT M-1 or Wampler Plextortion, then go into a good clean amp with enough headroom.

The Tubescreamer should be placed before the distortion pedal with the volume set on full and the gain set on 0, set the tone to your taste. The TS9 is not hard to get nor it's expensive. But if you really need a cheap Tubescreamer I would say look into a Joyo JF-01, which is probably the best cheap Tubescreamer you can find.

What amp are you using at the moment?
Freelance Fiend

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread reminds me of today when I was listening to the b-side of Enslaved - Hordanes Land. The first track on the b-side is total CF worship!
harald mentor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/URL]

Update your Marshall to Narsnall!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: