P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

The Black Album(s)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cochino

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zone wrote:
Exodus Fabulous Disaster and Impact is imminent fit the bill, the first for having two good songs and the rest being mediocre shit and Impact is imminent being mid-paced groove unlike the prior album.

While those two albums are quite bad, and I can understand why Divine Intervention might not please many fans, I think they're not the same as the albums this thread is supposed to be about. They might be just mediocre or straight up awful albums, but not commercial sellouts like the Black Album.

Nosferatu wrote:

Macabre!

although their last album was pretty bad

Man, I was so disappointed with that album. Well, not really disappointed, I wasn't expecting anything great but it's the first time I get bored of a Macabre album. I don't think I listened to it more than twice. If they ever released that Albert Fish album I hope at least half of it consists in old songs because it feels like they don't really have it in them anymore.
NK7
banned

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: The Black Album(s) Reply with quote

Dalen wrote:
NK7 wrote:
Youthanasia and Cryptic Writings were much more obvious sell outs.

Even though I do love that album, I think Megadeth became a better band after Rust In Peace. What's exactly you don't like about these two?

As I mentioned elsewhere Youthanasia has three good tracks (Day of reckoning, Addicted, A Tout), everything else is wimpy shit with gay melodies (Elysian fields = possibly the gayest refrain in the history of metal). Cryptic is just too far away from the classic Megadeth sound + I hate it when bands change their logos, it's regularly a guarantee for sell outs.
Frozen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Whiplash's Cult of One fits the bill to a certain extend. I know Tony Scaglione was a big fan of The Black Album and it definitely shows on this album.

EDIT: Listening to it a bit more I guess it's more "Groove Metal" based. Pantera.. That kind of stuff.
Dalen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: The Black Album(s) Reply with quote

NK7 wrote:
Dalen wrote:
NK7 wrote:
Youthanasia and Cryptic Writings were much more obvious sell outs.

Even though I do love that album, I think Megadeth became a better band after Rust In Peace. What's exactly you don't like about these two?

As I mentioned elsewhere Youthanasia has three good tracks (Day of reckoning, Addicted, A Tout), everything else is wimpy shit with gay melodies (Elysian fields = possibly the gayest refrain in the history of metal). Cryptic is just too far away from the classic Megadeth sound + I hate it when bands change their logos, it's regularly a guarantee for sell outs.

You don't like Train of Consequences? Cryptic is an excellent album, but it's what you said, way too far from classic Megadeth. I'm not surprised it's not your cup of tea, but seriously go listen to Youthanasia again now, haha. I can't believe you call it wimpy shit.
NK7
banned

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nosferatu wrote:
ADK wrote:
I didn't say it's a bad album, quite the opposite. I always liked it.

But you know, more or less released the same year, videoclip with heavy rotation on MTV....there are some parallels.

indeed, it's their first album of the "modern" era. Black album is still a solid metal album, I will always be like it. say what you want about it but it brought heavy music into the homes of millions. probably boosting record sales for the rest too.

Is that a good thing? And I don't think it's solid at all, I would save like 2-3 songs at best. CtE is a far better album as far as I'm concerned.
ADK

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to wimpyness, then Youthanasia is definitively more like the Black Album.

"Countdown to Extinction" still has some thrashy moments and is an overall DARK album, while Youthanasia has maybe 1-2 riffs that are remotely "hard". The rest is just sugarpoof conditioner bullshit.
NK7
banned

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: The Black Album(s) Reply with quote

Dalen wrote:

You don't like Train of Consequences?

No, not really. My opinion on Youthanasia hasn't changed through the years, thought it was Megadeth's sell out when I first bought it in '95 and still look upon it that way nowadays. That being said, I'll still take it over most of the other more or less obviously commercial albums mentioned so far in the thread.
jameswolfe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voivod's Angelrat-I actually love this album though.
COC'a Deliverance-Not a thrash band, but obviously changed to a more commercial sound.
Dalen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like songs like Youthanasia (the title track) and Victory, no matter how wimpy they sound you tough goatsters. : P They sound a bit more up-tempo at times, but that doesn't bother me, Megadeth always had radio-rock hits on every album since CtE. In fact, I think Cryptic Writings had the potential of being the most solid metal album by Megadeth since Rust In Peace, but I don't really like how it sounds. I'd prefer a thrashier approach.
jameswolfe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Megadeth, CTE was their "black" album. Yes it is better than the black album and way better than youthanasia, but that is when they stopped thrashing and wrote saongs that could be played on the radio. Youthanasia was a continuation of that. And Train of Consequences is retarded.
jameswolfe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonna throw out some odd ball stuff here.

Paradise Lost-Draconian Times
Samael-Passage
Sentenced-Frozen

Granted none of these bands ever reached the commercial success of metallica. But it is my belief that they saw what the black album did for metallica and tried a similar approach on the smaller scale. All these albums were a dramatic departure from previous material and took their sound to a radio ready formula (verse chorus verse chorus). All songs were made to be similar length, short and catchy...less moody more happy and a clean production. You can probably throw 50% of major label metal bands into this concept.
GoldenBull

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jameswolfe wrote:

COC'a Deliverance-Not a thrash band, but obviously changed to a more commercial sound.

I forgot all about this one. The change is even crazier than you make it sound. From pioneers of crossover/thrash to what basically amounts to Southern fried rock music? The first time I heard "Albatross" I almost dry heaved.
under a funeral shroom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desultory "Swallow the Snake"
What a festering pile of dung that thing was.
hellmask

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sacred Reich - Independent

Hard to believe its the same band that released the mighty Ignorance...

As for Exodus, I think both Fabulous Disaster and Impact Is Imminent are both excellent thrash albums. But Force of Habit is mostly awful.
Dalen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jameswolfe wrote:
Gonna throw out some odd ball stuff here.

Paradise Lost-Draconian Times
Samael-Passage
Sentenced-Frozen

Granted none of these bands ever reached the commercial success of metallica. But it is my belief that they saw what the black album did for metallica and tried a similar approach on the smaller scale. All these albums were a dramatic departure from previous material and took their sound to a radio ready formula (verse chorus verse chorus). All songs were made to be similar length, short and catchy...less moody more happy and a clean production. You can probably throw 50% of major label metal bands into this concept.

Sentenced were pretty much a different band from the Love and Death ep & onwards, and I don't think Down sounds all that different compared to Frozen. A bit heavier for sure, but I hardly call that a dramatic departure. Totally disagree on the comparison between Passage and Black Album, but it does make sense for Paradise Lost. In fact, if Draconian Times is their Black Album, you can definitely tell One Second is their own Load.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: