P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

The Black Album(s)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
captainretardo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CoC Deliverance (and Wiseblood) are good if you are a fan of southern rock in general. They both have plenty of good songs.

Blind is the album where they 'went commercial,' as it is the most blatant mixture of pop/thrash I've ever heard. It's literally 'thrash' played in pop style.
under a funeral shroom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As terrible as the albums in the original post are, as well as the ones mentioned throughout, they were instrumental in me searching out underground bands/labels since I could no longer just buy new releases from bands I was already familiar with.
hellmask

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Blind is the album where they 'went commercial,' as it is the most blatant mixture of pop/thrash I've ever heard. It's literally 'thrash' played in pop style.

Yep, I agree...but there's something about that album that I really liked when it came out. I haven't listened to it in ages, but at the time it got a lot of spins. Of course, I had to pretend it was a different band...it was about as far from Eye For An Eye and Animosity as possible!
NK7
banned

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

under a funeral shroom wrote:
As terrible as the albums in the original post are, as well as the ones mentioned throughout, they were instrumental in me searching out underground bands/labels since I could no longer just buy new releases from bands I was already familiar with.

Just too bad the underground bands/labels you most likely stumbled upon were even worse than those albums.
captainretardo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellmask wrote:
Quote:

Yep, I agree...but there's something about that album that I really liked when it came out. I haven't listened to it in ages, but at the time it got a lot of spins. Of course, I had to pretend it was a different band...it was about as far from Eye For An Eye and Animosity as possible!

I'm not knocking these albums at all; I like Blind just fine. Deliverance marked a shift in sound for sure, but the commercialization of their sound occured earlier, and is apparent in the groove/pop/thrash album that is Blind.

I still think Blind/Deliverance/Wiseblood are the best CoC albums. The addition of Pepper Keenan really improved their sound (although the post-Wiseblood albums sucked).
under a funeral shroom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NK7 wrote:

Just too bad the underground bands/labels you most likely stumbled upon were even worse than those albums.

You seem own the majority of the early 90's death metal albums I discovered at that time if those pictures you posted in the collections thread are actually yours, so I think you may be wrong there.
NK7
banned

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NK7 wrote:

You seem own the majority of the early 90's death metal albums I discovered at that time if those pictures you posted in the collections thread are actually yours, so I think you may be wrong there.

Was just joking man.
ADK

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, now I understand the thread! Idea Maybe reading the OP wouldn't hurt next time... Embarassed

Spot on whoever mentioned Samael's Passage. But seriously: Didn't we all know with "Ceremony of Opposites" that this is not going to end well? Ok, this was maybe a bit too revisionstic, but with that Mini afterwards, "Rebellion"? Everyone should have known that they are going to fuck us up now.
jameswolfe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dalen wrote:
jameswolfe wrote:
Gonna throw out some odd ball stuff here.

Paradise Lost-Draconian Times
Samael-Passage
Sentenced-Frozen

Granted none of these bands ever reached the commercial success of metallica. But it is my belief that they saw what the black album did for metallica and tried a similar approach on the smaller scale. All these albums were a dramatic departure from previous material and took their sound to a radio ready formula (verse chorus verse chorus). All songs were made to be similar length, short and catchy...less moody more happy and a clean production. You can probably throw 50% of major label metal bands into this concept.

Sentenced were pretty much a different band from the Love and Death ep & onwards, and I don't think Down sounds all that different compared to Frozen. A bit heavier for sure, but I hardly call that a dramatic departure. Totally disagree on the comparison between Passage and Black Album, but it does make sense for Paradise Lost. In fact, if Draconian Times is their Black Album, you can definitely tell One Second is their own Load.

My mistake....Down is the album I was thinking of, not Frozen.
Nosferatu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cochino wrote:

Man, I was so disappointed with that album. Well, not really disappointed, I wasn't expecting anything great but it's the first time I get bored of a Macabre album. I don't think I listened to it more than twice. If they ever released that Albert Fish album I hope at least half of it consists in old songs because it feels like they don't really have it in them anymore.

next album will be part 2 of this. 20th century stuff.

I think that medieval stuff invited to some real silly songs. hoping this new one will be like murder metal
ADB

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weltering in Blood wrote:
To be honest I struggle to think of any band where the members are over 35 and still playing music I want to hear. nevermind these reunions. Was there one reunion that wasn't meh?

Ummm, a fair deal of decent underground metal is made by the over 35 bunch, sort of a strange thing to write
DevilWorshippingGarbage

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razor-shotgun justice was pretty much a big middle finger to the rest of the thrash bands making their own black albums and they were making kick ass thrash still.
scentofdeath

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VnholyCvntz wrote:
Demolition Hammer's Time Bomb

"It's me and him, and whatever guy we catch, we're gonna put him in jail, we're gonna lock him up, and we're gonna take his fucking money! Fuck him, fuck them and fuck you! Fuck You!!!"

Always wondered where this intro is from? Or did they actually record this?
Reaper's Grave

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, a few exceptions aside, i've pretty much lost interest in most thrash metal post-88 or 89. Too many bands trying to become more complex, while commercially appealing by these years, a lot of the more "technical" and "progressive" thrash albums came by during this time, and even most of the original runners in the global scenes were starting to release albums that i tend to pass on. By the 90's it only got worse and the bands that live through this decade release nothing but garbage. Look up any thrash band. If the band released 2 or more albums prior to 1990, chances are anything they had to release in the 90's is not worth your time.

That said though, even 00's is pretty dismal for 80's thrash. Most bands either made early 00's comeback albums that were a hollow shell of their original aggression, or the bands continued to make bad albums until having some sort of reawakening to go back to their roots (Anthrax, Metallica, etc).

I have to second the person earlier though that is there anything bands from the 80's or earlier are doing now that's even worth mentioning? Or any reunions that aren't mediocre, or only worthwhile for the live novelty of getting to see them? Seen enough of both sides and realizing that nothing of value would be lost if some of this stuff just stayed dead.
God Slayer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grave - Hating Life
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: