P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

"Is it really mandatory?" part II: Seasons in the
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Mandatory?
Of course, Slayer still in their finest form here
43%
 43%  [ 51 ]
Not really, only Show No Mercy/Hell Awaits for me
37%
 37%  [ 43 ]
I'm HIV+ and listen to Katharsis
18%
 18%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 116

Black Mass Hysteria

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel it is mandatory because it shows Slayer in a more nuanced and atmospheric light. The title track, Dead Skin Mask and Skeletons Of Society demonstrate a menacing Slayer without relying so much on balls out speed. Still, after this album they more or less become irrelevant.
Knucklehead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had pretty well stopped paying attention to them by the time this was released. Perhaps it was the production, which seemed just a little off from the great sound on RIB and SOH. Perhaps it was that the songs just didn't grab me the way the earlier output did. Either way, I've never really given this one a thorough listen.

With that caveat, I'd say not mandatory.
lordoftherim

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellmask wrote:
Quote:
I hold "Hell Awaits" in nearly as high regard but clearly "Reign in Blood" is one of the most perfect and balls-out thrash records there is.

Completely agree, although I'd take it a step further and say Reign In Blood is one of the most perfect and balls-out records there is - regardless of genre.

AMEN and high five brothers. My thoughts exactly. I can't believe matters like this are even debated. This album goes beyond description aside from complete and total metal perfection. Flooring from start to finish. I will never be able to praise this album enough
Numerator41

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't really consider this one mandatory, though War Ensemble is a great track. First three are certainly mandatory though, and South of Heaven is great as well.
GoldenBull

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lordoftherim wrote:
hellmask wrote:
Quote:
I hold "Hell Awaits" in nearly as high regard but clearly "Reign in Blood" is one of the most perfect and balls-out thrash records there is.

Completely agree, although I'd take it a step further and say Reign In Blood is one of the most perfect and balls-out records there is - regardless of genre.

AMEN and high five brothers. My thoughts exactly. I can't believe matters like this are even debated. This album goes beyond description aside from complete and total metal perfection. Flooring from start to finish. I will never be able to praise this album enough

I agree with you 100% but RIB is absolutely an album that I have played way too much in my life. At this point I probably play it once a year, maybe not even then because you end up hearing it anyway just by going to bars, etc. I actually wish I wasn't so burned out on it. More than anything it takes a toll going out and seeing redneck shitheads yell "OH SHIT" when "Angel of Death" comes on the jukebox. A decade of that kind of thing will really change the way you look at a song or an album.

Still, that is all just bullshit. It doesn't do a damn thing to change the sheer untouchable nature of Reign in Blood. What legit criticism is there for that record anyway? It's too well known? Ha.
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoldenBull wrote:
What legit criticism is there for that record anyway? It's too well known? Ha.

The closest to 'legit' criticism I've heard is that some think that besides angel of death, postmortem and raining blood, the rest of the album all sounds the same and is basically filler.

I couldn't disagree more, but I have heard that complaint more than a few times.
GoldenBull

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard that too but I've always been kind of confused about that idea - you could argue that the vast majority of Slayer's quality material has a really similar sound. I think about 75% of the guitar work on Slayer records is just fast palm muted low e picking. Kerry is not what you'd call an "eclectic" guitarist. Laughing
Dismal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great album. Although, probably like loads of "mandatory/classics", I haven't listened to it in a while!
ADK

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NK7 wrote:
ADK will probably kill me for constantly stealing his ideas for threads.

Where is my internet-money??? Mad

Seriously, I belong to option 2. It's surely not a bad album, but nothing besides the first two is mandatory for me.

But what is there not to like with the artwork? I think it's great, totally morbid art!
FengisRipRider

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THere are some good tracks but overall I don't like it, I prefer Divine Intervention, way more riffing.
DSS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slayer reached their full potential with "Seasons...". A great album from start to finish. No song gets skipped when this album is on. And they somehow went down hill after that. Maybe it was hard to top one of the best albums. Who knows?
Carpathian Florist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADK wrote:

But what is there not to like with the artwork? I think it's great, totally morbid art!

To me it just looks like a prop from a detective show, where the teacher would say "this is what little Johnny has been drawing in class Shocked " after the allegations of sexual abuse have arisen. I guess then he'd point to the Diabolus in Musica cover and say "that's the bad man".

NOBODY KNOWS IM A WEREWOLF
Brooklyn Bastard 666

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SEASONS is a great record, but SOUTH and REIGN are better.
ADK

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carpathian Florist wrote:
ADK wrote:

To me it just looks like a prop from a detective show, where the teacher would say "this is what little Johnny has been drawing in class Shocked " after the allegations of sexual abuse have arisen. I guess then he'd point to the Diabolus in Musica cover and say "that's the bad man".

Laughing

Yeah, I see somehow what you mean (or better said I see the different perspective you have), but isn't the drawing of a molested child pretty sick?

I don't know, I also like the colours. Together with "South of Heaven" and "Reign in Blood", the best artwork of SLAYER.
NK7
banned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADK wrote:
Carpathian Florist wrote:
ADK wrote:

Laughing

Yeah, I see somehow what you mean (or better said I see the different perspective you have), but isn't the drawing of a molested child pretty sick?

I don't know, I also like the colours. Together with "South of Heaven" and "Reign in Blood", the best artwork of SLAYER.

It's a great piece of art but definitely far too advanced for the brain of the average metal fan to process. Bear in mind the conception of "art" most people here embrace is a bunch of goat-headed skeletons with upsidedown cross pendants choppin off the head of Jesus in a pentagram.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: