P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

"Is it really mandatory?" part II: Seasons in the
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Mandatory?
Of course, Slayer still in their finest form here
43%
 43%  [ 51 ]
Not really, only Show No Mercy/Hell Awaits for me
37%
 37%  [ 43 ]
I'm HIV+ and listen to Katharsis
18%
 18%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 116

Aeonblade

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't call it essential, but I think it's a great record. Shows them expanding a little on the sound they had with South of Heaven. Has a little bit of everything.

It was an important album for me when I was first getting into metal.
SWO

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aeonblade wrote:
Has a little bit of everything.

That's why it's the weakest of the first 5 imo. Slayer was best with the razor sharp focus and cohesion of the first 3.

Fuck metal, hail interludes
CrucifixionWounds

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Slayer album, certainly not their greatest. I never intend to part with it. I really enjoy Divine Intervention occasionally, and I pull out Undisputed Attitude every once in a while, but that's where it ends.

Edit: Wow, can't believe people criticize the album cover!??! The art for Reign in Blood, South of Heaven and Seasons in the Abyss are probably my alltime favorite album covers. Morbid masterpieces that perfectly suit the music and content.

Edit 2: Actually, I might like the album artwork more than the album...

Last edited by CrucifixionWounds on Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
ritualsodomy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Far from their greatest album and not necessarily mandatory. But it's a good album with good songs and I still listen to it every now and then.
CrucifixionWounds

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the past few days I've been thinking about listening to Reign in Blood... think I'll finally dig it out...
Descension

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VATRA I SUMPOR wrote:
Meh. Definitely prefer Katharsis.
Laughing
Blutkvlt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VATRA I SUMPOR wrote:

MY TRADELIST/WANTLIST:
http://nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21928
VnholyCvntz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Descension wrote:
VATRA I SUMPOR wrote:
Laughing
wasteland

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dalecooper wrote:
VnholyCvntz wrote:
Also, the second option should be ''Not really, only Show No Mercy/Hell Awaits and Reign in Blood for me" Cool

True culties now say "Reign" is overrated and they were only good before Rick Rubin got a hold of them. Please hand over your NWN forum card; Yosuke's bird will give you a courtesy crap as you pass under his cage on the way out.

hahahahah yes.

Seasons is their last good album aside from Undisputed Attitude but it definitely sees them going downhill from the first 4.

Oh and I voted Katharsis because NK7 is a moldy old troll in a rascal scooter.

morg wrote:
Fuck is end!
NK7
banned

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see how people can like South of Heaven better than Seasons. The number of outstanding tracks on SitA is largely superior.
Carpathian Florist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADK wrote:
Carpathian Florist wrote:
ADK wrote:

But what is there not to like with the artwork? I think it's great, totally morbid art!

To me it just looks like a prop from a detective show, where the teacher would say "this is what little Johnny has been drawing in class Shocked " after the allegations of sexual abuse have arisen. I guess then he'd point to the Diabolus in Musica cover and say "that's the bad man".

Laughing

Yeah, I see somehow what you mean (or better said I see the different perspective you have), but isn't the drawing of a molested child pretty sick?

I don't know, I also like the colours. Together with "South of Heaven" and "Reign in Blood", the best artwork of SLAYER.

Well it is said that first impressions mean a lot. I used to watch a lot of those crime drama shows round about the time I was first introduced to Slayer, so that could have tainted my perception. If I were to rank them I'd say Hell Awaits, closely followed by Reign in Blood are the superior artworks.

NOBODY KNOWS IM A WEREWOLF
Too Dark Park

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only listen to "Reign in Blood"
lordoftherim

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blodhemn9 wrote:
GoldenBull wrote:
What legit criticism is there for that record anyway? It's too well known? Ha.

The closest to 'legit' criticism I've heard is that some think that besides angel of death, postmortem and raining blood, the rest of the album all sounds the same and is basically filler.

I couldn't disagree more, but I have heard that complaint more than a few times.

I've heard that too, and its sorta funny as I find those songs to the be ones I am most burned out on (if such a thing could ever happen) I suppose Angel of Death being a song I could do without hearing "quite" so much. these so called filler tracks are where its at though! Necrophobic for example may be my favorite from this album. of course Piece by Piece, Criminally Insane, and Epidemic are also total ragers/essentials

*edit* shit, Altar of Sacrifice has some killer ass riffing too. again, one would have to be CRIMINALLY INSANE to downplay or consider this "filler" crap. literally just as one song finishes, I immediately get excited for the next onslaught. as I was typing this, it rolled into Jesus Saves and more killer riffing
midgetviolence

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lordoftherim wrote:
blodhemn9 wrote:
GoldenBull wrote:
What legit criticism is there for that record anyway? It's too well known? Ha.

The closest to 'legit' criticism I've heard is that some think that besides angel of death, postmortem and raining blood, the rest of the album all sounds the same and is basically filler.

I couldn't disagree more, but I have heard that complaint more than a few times.

I've heard that too, and its sorta funny as I find those songs to the be ones I am most burned out on (if such a thing could ever happen) I suppose Angel of Death being a song I could do without hearing "quite" so much. these so called filler tracks are where its at though! Necrophobic for example may be my favorite from this album. of course Piece by Piece, Criminally Insane, and Epidemic are also total ragers/essentials

*edit* shit, Altar of Sacrifice has some killer ass riffing too. again, one would have to be CRIMINALLY INSANE to downplay or consider this "filler" crap. literally just as one song finishes, I immediately get excited for the next onslaught. as I was typing this, it rolled into Jesus Saves and more killer riffing

Oh come on, Angel of Death is one of the best metal songs ever. In all categories. I will never get enough of that track.
Really agree on Altar of Sacrifice though, and yes, the way it rolls into Jesus Saves is amazing. Gotta spin this record tonight.
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lordoftherim wrote:

I've heard that too, and its sorta funny as I find those songs to the be ones I am most burned out on (if such a thing could ever happen)

Exactly... I find the most enjoyment from the album in the not so well known tracks, although I could never part with Angel of Death. I honestly never get sick of that song, it's just absolutely perfect from start to finish. Raining Blood, however ? I could do without hearing that one again for at least a decade.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: