P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Haw far do YOU go in the Iron Maiden catalog?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
illomen

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Haw far do YOU go in the Iron Maiden catalog? Reply with quote

(I dont think this has been a topic yet)

Anyway, obviously if you dont like iron maiden you probably like dick in your mouth and should be banned from the board.

but for the rest of us, there is still some debate as to how much of the catalog is worth listening to. i have heard people whose opinions i otherwise respect, say that only the first album merits repeat listens. (what!?!) and yet there are those who listen to everything even tangentially related to maiden including the bruce dickinson solo album (does he have more than one at this point?) and dianno etc.

personally, i stopped after seventh son...im not even into that album so much really, but i think its decent. i couldnt even tell you how many albums there are after that point.

in addition to discussing your cutoff point, feel free to open this thread up to more general discussion as to the highs and lows in the Iron Maiden catalog or just anything Maiden related.
Stygian Shadows 'zine

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Haw far do YOU go in the Iron Maiden catalog? Reply with quote

Great topic!

Well, personally my fave Iron Maiden album is their "The 7th son..." . I like all previous albums and later "No prayer for the dying"/"Fear of the dark" too, but not interested in Blaze sung stuffs nor the reunion era's albums.
Endless Morbidity

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right up to A Matter of Life and Death. I'm not too crazy about the Blaze years, though I do like much of it. Every Maiden album has something to offer and Maiden on their worst day is ten times better than most other bands on their best.

Dance of Death was pretty lackluster though and they should seriously reissue that fucking thing with a better cover and layout.
Invictus Productions

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Seventh Son...." is the last LP I own but I like a few tracks off both "No Prayer..." and "Fear of the Dark". Was never the biggest Maiden fan anyway & their mid 90s output is weak (regardless of Bayley). Their recent material doesn't interest me much either despite being told countless times it's very good.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce has many solo albums. Tattooed Millionaire, Balls to Picasso, Skunkworks, Accident of Birth, Chemical Wedding, the other one, and the live one.

I love everything up to and including Seventh Son. After that it is just various songs that I like, fewer and fewer with the recent albums...

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything Maiden did is just brilliant, except for those Bayley albums + No prayer for the dying. Even their least good albums smoke the shit out of ALL your average ug black metal. I appreciate the first Dickinson's solo lp as well and some of the stuff Dianno did after he got kicked. Maiden is still the best Metal band out there.
gravesnatcher

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

get The Fucking Soundhouse Tapes! and the first four lp's
CR99

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first ones esp. the debut are my favourites. Up to Somewhere in Time I like them very much.
The others...well not so. I must say I didnt heard all of the "newer" ones so far
Demonomancy

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped after Seventh Son also....I never heard "No Prayer for the Dying" but some records after that one.
Iron Maiden is Awesome and kills every Manowar LP. (My opinion Cool )
"Number of the Beast" and "Piece of Time" are my Faves !
Invictus Productions

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has always amused me no end how the "cultfago" headbangers out there who used to bang on about being so "underground" would have Maiden patches on their vests...The irony being completely lost on them. Laughing

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Till Fear of the Dark is Listenable, but after all not really
Must Have for me or so. I have some LP's and if i get some
Cheap i buy it. If not..well, i'm not really need it so much
masters_throne

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DiAnno era will always remain the best. The worst/most boring era was with Blaze. The last albums are all good with some killer tunes here and there, but over-all seen, these are nice background music to listen to whilst working...

= KILL I =
= KILL II =
Opolus

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Haw far do YOU go in the Iron Maiden catalog? Reply with quote

illomen wrote:

Anyway, obviously if you dont like iron maiden you probably like dick in your mouth and should be banned from the board.

First up, the above must rank among thee ultimat quotes ever, made me nearly piss myself, ha, ha!! Laughing

When it comes to me MAIDEN and myself go a long way back (1987 precisely) and ever since, it was never a 100 % love thing. I used to near-religiously love them in the beginning, but lost interest after "Fear Of The Dark", which to this day remains -BY FAR- my least favourite MAIDEN album. Other than that, there were always times when I was simply fed up with all of their more well-known hits, as well as simply overplaying their records back then. Frankly I used to despise them most of the whole 90s, thinking that especially the Blaze albums were utter crap! I completely re-establishec my MAIDEN enthusiasm at the time "A Matter Of Life And Death" came out, because I just checked some snippets of that one, out of plain curiosity, and BOY, this one is sooo bloody good, it made me re-discover a lot of the albums I fucking hated many years ago, especially when it comes to "The X Factor" and "Virtual XI"! Both are surely far from flawless, and seeing Blaze singing some classic MAIDEN songs (e. g. on "YouTube" or at the time on "Headbanger's Ball" and such) is a serious pain in the ass, BUT especially when it comes to "The X Factor", there's some really great and fresh songwriting going on, and there's a pretty strong "back against the wall" feeling present. Also his singing on that one fits the -dark and moody- songs, me thinks. Eventually - OF COURSE- nothing will EVER touch their first records! There's simply VERY few bands who released so many nearly flawless records as MAIDEN did within just a couple of years, BLACK SABBATH and early METALLICA coming to my mind at the very moment now!! Everything up to "Seventh Son..." is great except for some minor let-downs ("Can I Play With Crapness", anyone)!! My personal favourite used to be their debut, when it comes the marvellous Di'Anno era, and "Piece Of Mind" concerning the Dickinson one, but fuck me, currently I'm going completely apeshit over "Powerslave" again as well!! Enough of my bullshitting, IRON MAIDEN have recorded some of THEE very best METAL ever for fuck's sake!!! UP THE FUCKING IRONS!! Can't wait to see them in Twickenham in July on their "Somewhere Back In Time" Tour... "We Shall Never Surrender!!!"
Caina

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huge Maiden fan here. However, there are places where I skip albums.

'Iron Maiden' all the way through to 'Seventh Son', then nothing except for Bruce Dickinson's 'Chemical Wedding' (GREAT record) till 'Brave New World' and onwards. Dance of Death is pretty weak, but far better than the 90's albums.

www.myspace.com/cainaband
http://www.last.fm/user/WilburWhateley

Good traders/sellers: Yosuke, Grief, s.charlach x2, Blekt , headnhalf x2, destrucSEAN, Sadovahr x3, GROUND ZERO Entertainment, Ykh
illomen

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i doubt that ive even given the later material the attention it deserves before i rejected it. What is the best post-seventh son recording? im planning to try again with this era of i.m..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: