P R O D U C T I O N S
 
 FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 
 Profile 
 Log in to check your private messages 
 Log in 

How did you get into metal?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Invictus Productions



Joined: 13 Dec 2007
Posts: 673
Location: Dublin, IRELAND

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

harmless wrote:
I find this very strange; that a few metallers would ave their own club house. I think it's great but it's still strange to me.

Yep, same here. It's just not something you'd ever have in Ireland.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Tal666
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it was in '91, my older neighbor was into metal which was at the time pretty popular in Israel, he dubbed me Metallica AJFA on a tape, also back it the day you could catch a Skid Row video on MTV on regular times so they were also one of my first ones, then my older cousine after he found out that I started listening to metal gave me his cassettes of Piece of Mind and No Prayer for the Dying and things got in motion since then.
You'll probably find it amusing that I used some of the Bar Mitzva money to buy some metal albums Wink
Today I'm 28.5 btw.
Back to top
Nocturnal Deathstrike



Joined: 05 Jun 2006
Posts: 2275

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Invictus Productions wrote:
harmless wrote:
I find this very strange; that a few metallers would ave their own club house. I think it's great but it's still strange to me.

Yep, same here. It's just not something you'd ever have in Ireland.


Well, maybe it sounds a bit more than it actually was.
It was just a small hut in the garden of one of the guys father. They met there and held parties.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Nekrokunt_Usurper



Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 2985
Location: London

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nocturnal Deathstrike wrote:
Invictus Productions wrote:
harmless wrote:
I find this very strange; that a few metallers would ave their own club house. I think it's great but it's still strange to me.

Yep, same here. It's just not something you'd ever have in Ireland.


Well, maybe it sounds a bit more than it actually was.
It was just a small hut in the garden of one of the guys father. They met there and held parties.


Maybe its only in Germany... Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TryMyTrust



Joined: 25 Jul 2007
Posts: 344

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was a numetal loser growing up. i loved slipknot. though i never wore eyeliner and bought one of their shirts. i tought they were the heaviest band ever. like super brutal. so this kid who wore those baggy raver pants wanted to borrow my cd and he said he'd lend me one in return. i told him to lend me the heaviest cd he has. he told me he had some shitty cd he got when he went on some trip with his family. the cd he lent me was Suffocation - Breeding the Spawn. i was blown away. i was like..how can this be? THEY ONLY HAVE FIVE MEMBERS ha ha ha. some time passed [and i never returned the cd] and i met this dude in gym class wearing a static-x shirt. we started talking and he told me about a band hsi brother showed him called carcass. i was like HUH? so he showed me so i busted out my suffocation cd....we become friends and went on our metal voyage together ha ha ha even to this day. the dude now plays guitar in my band and i sing. and people have told me i sound like frank mullen. which is awesome.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
deathster



Joined: 27 Sep 2007
Posts: 1071
Location: Eesti

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was heavy metal kid. For me it was "For whom the bell tolls" by Metallica in 1986. They were my fave from 1986-89 (not " and Justice for all" album by the way!). Other very early faves were Iron Maiden and Accept ("Russian Roulette" album)... then very soon came Slayer, Nasty Savage, Helloween, Mercyful Fate, Anthrax... then it went harder and harder: Assassin, Testament, Kreator, S.O.D. etc.



Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nekrokunt_Usurper



Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 2985
Location: London

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually remembered some other bits and pieces of history I forgot about:

I checked out those Cherry Red books too, you know the ones on thrash, black, death etc metal and was also intrigued by their content. The Power Metal and Thrash Metal comps came with a bonus CD. That was also a help. Also the Fenriz Presents... CD was also an introduction.

I did briefly own CDs by Korn and Pantera however I thought they were boring, so it wasn't long before I got rid of them. 80s Pantera rocked though! Laughing

Also I was lent video tapes of Van Halen, Iron Maiden's 'Live After Death' and some live video Ozzy did during his 'Bark At the Moon' tour.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GHOAT



Joined: 26 May 2008
Posts: 2445
Location: Atlanta, GA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TryMyTrust wrote:
i was a numetal loser growing up. i loved slipknot. though i never wore eyeliner and bought one of their shirts. i tought they were the heaviest band ever. like super brutal. so this kid who wore those baggy raver pants wanted to borrow my cd and he said he'd lend me one in return. i told him to lend me the heaviest cd he has. he told me he had some shitty cd he got when he went on some trip with his family. the cd he lent me was Suffocation - Breeding the Spawn. i was blown away. i was like..how can this be? THEY ONLY HAVE FIVE MEMBERS ha ha ha. some time passed [and i never returned the cd] and i met this dude in gym class wearing a static-x shirt. we started talking and he told me about a band hsi brother showed him called carcass. i was like HUH? so he showed me so i busted out my suffocation cd....we become friends and went on our metal voyage together ha ha ha even to this day. the dude now plays guitar in my band and i sing. and people have told me i sound like frank mullen. which is awesome.


This is too funny. I can totally forgive your once-lameness because you are so open about it. "They only have five members" HAHAHAHA.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Dodens Grav



Joined: 12 Jun 2007
Posts: 1601

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother borrowed a Metallica CD from one of his friends probably in '96, when I was 9. Soon after I bought my first CD, which was the self-titled, followed thereafter by Ride The Lightning and Master Of Puppets. I really didn't listen to anything but Metallica for about a year and wound up collecting all of their albums, then I started to get into other bigger bands like Megadeth, Ozzy, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, and the like. The basics pretty much kept me satisfied until I found the internet (or more specifically, message boards) in '02, soon after which I'd run into some people who introduced me to tons of new bands. I pretty much got into a wide spectrum of bands rapidly, from Blind Guardian, to Burzum, to Bathory, to Entombed, to Helloween, to Kreator, etc., etc. In other words, the bigger bands of the more underground stuff. After that, year after year, I've dug deeper and deeper. So I've been listening to Metal in some form or another for about 12 years. I think it's a pretty typical story, to be honest.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TryMyTrust



Joined: 25 Jul 2007
Posts: 344

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GHOAT wrote:

This is too funny. I can totally forgive your once-lameness because you are so open about it. "They only have five members" HAHAHAHA.


man, you should have seen the reaction on my face when i found out immortal was three dudes.

that's when i learned about production and distortion and all that ha ha ha
that was a turning point actually. three dudes in makeup making faster killer ass songs. or 9 dudes in masks playing music that now seems slow and outdated...hm...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
1349



Joined: 31 Jan 2007
Posts: 681
Location: Texas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TryMyTrust wrote:
GHOAT wrote:

This is too funny. I can totally forgive your once-lameness because you are so open about it. "They only have five members" HAHAHAHA.


man, you should have seen the reaction on my face when i found out immortal was three dudes.

that's when i learned about production and distortion and all that ha ha ha
that was a turning point actually. three dudes in makeup making faster killer ass songs. or 9 dudes in masks playing music that now seems slow and outdated...hm...


Want to listen to mushroomhead after school man?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Demoniarch



Joined: 12 Mar 2008
Posts: 5804

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My uncles (a few years older) were into Black Sabbath, Kiss, Triumph, AC/DC, Billy Idol, Van Halen etc etc. Everything just escalated from there to being here.

After growing up with that stuff I was fairly interested in music already and then in my own teen years it was all Slayer, Metallica, and Iron Maiden plus a few of the bands my uncles left impressed upon me like AC/DC and Black Sabbath.

At some point in high school the older metal heads (high school was gr 8 to 12) were getting into Venom and Celtic Frost and that seemed to make the metal I was aware of seem really lacking something.

However it was mainly Emperor and then Mayhem that started the ball rolling on the current interests. All so many years ago now.
I wish bands still floored me like that today back then when finding a new act that was wicked. Embarassed
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
karimlan



Joined: 06 Mar 2008
Posts: 253

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The year was '88 and I was 12 years old. Had a few older friends who were into punk and new wave and so of course I was trying to follow suit and then my older brother who was into Metal brought home a cassette of Iron Maiden's "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son." He put it on and I just took to it instantly and more to that, all of a sudden all the other Metal that he was listening to (W.A.S.P., Priest, Dio, Sabbath) started to make sense to me.
_________________
www.exordiummors.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
S. Berserker



Joined: 17 Sep 2007
Posts: 62
Location: Australia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Venusian Death Cell got me into metal.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Invictus Productions



Joined: 13 Dec 2007
Posts: 673
Location: Dublin, IRELAND

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

S. Berserker wrote:
Venusian Death Cell got me into metal.


Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group