P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Headphone Upgrade Advice
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lsid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Headphone Upgrade Advice Reply with quote

I have been using a pair of Grado SR60's for a good few years now and although I don't have any problems with them I was wondering if anyone else has tested and used other headphones that go great with metal specifically.

At the moment I am running my headphones though my Sansui amp (connected to my turntable and tape deck) and that is pretty much how I listen to my music 99% of the time. Overall the sound I am getting is nice and warm with punchy bass. I have found these phones pretty good bang for buck.

I have been looking at the Sennheiser HD 650's and a few folk have said that they find them smooth and relaxing and generally they are pretty highly praised. Thing is I don't want to lose some of the harshness that comes with metal recordings. These phones are also a huge jump in price compared to the SR60's. Is it really worth it?

My budget would be about Ģ300-Ģ400 tops but if there are cans out there that are cheaper and more suited to listening to metal then I would consider them. What do you guys think? Should I just stick to my SR60?
Fallen_Empire

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found the Grado SRs to be great for metal, especially metal on the more lo-fi end of of the spectrum. My 60s broke a few years back and I upgraded to 80s.
Reversed Mentality

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770s. Great sound, nice punchy, yet very clean bass. Very comfortable for long listening sessions, the pads are covered in super soft velour.

I have them plugged into a Cute headphone amp with power supplier, and to be honest they could probably use a little more power.

I've heard a lot of good things about the Grado's, as well.
asmael LeBouc

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends for what use

Grado are audiophile, sure, but they're open: made for indoor listening only, without noise around.

If you move or listen outdoors, Grado is a very poor choice, a waste almost. Outdoors nd worse, in public transports you'll need "closed" headphones which physically block the sound both of the external world (for you) and of your music (for the others close to you)
There are also noise canceling ones, top-notch for outdoor+public transport use. That's what I use and it's fantastic. I bought the Sennheiser PXC450 itīs promly the best noise-cancelling one. There's also the Bose QuietComfort 3 which is badass. But Sennheiser are known for their generous low end so I went with that. A mint second hand PXC 450 cos the fucker is $400 new.

A French brand, PARROT has recently released a killer noise-cancelling bluetooth set with an amazing design. Recent so no second hand and expensive as fuck too, $300-$350. Perfect for outdoor use. The wireless thing is a must. BEATS by Dr Dre are too bassy and too loud, the sound is exaggerated and not as refined as Bose and Sennheiser, though they have a noise-cancelling model.

At home I use a true wireless Sennheiser 160 (something) which has a radius of 10 meters through walls. Killer bass and definition. I plug it in my vinyl amp and it's magic. There are a few superior models but the 160 is already a $150 one and outstanding quality for the price. So you can do anything in the house with your vinyl blasting in your ears. Priceless

TRADE / WANT LIST ! ! ! :
http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12006/
Good sellers/traders: ChapelOfDoom, thetrueevil/ GoldenBull, Hobophobic, NWN PROD
Heliogabalus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.motorheadphones.com/en/products/headphones Wink
duff138

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own the Grados SR80 and Senn 650. I have a good headphone amp for the 650, which is some imtes recommended. If you're worried about losing the harshness of metal the 650 may not be what you want. They are/were sometime described as having a "veil" meaning not as bright as some other phones, especially if you're use to the Grados. This may refer to older 650, not sure.
I'd say for that money try first if possible, or research some more, check out reviews for other brands as well.
Heliogabalus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duff138 wrote:
I own the Grados SR80 and Senn 650. I have a good headphone amp for the 650, which is some imtes recommended. If you're worried about losing the harshness of metal the 650 may not be what you want. They are/were sometime described as having a "veil" meaning not as bright as some other phones, especially if you're use to the Grados. This may refer to older 650, not sure.
I'd say for that money try first if possible, or research some more, check out reviews for other brands as well.

So would you say these retain a good bass sound and remain a little easier on the ears? I'm willing to give up some of the higher end freq. due to the tinitus.
Doomerology

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any recommendations for a good, but not stupidly priced, headphone amplifier?
Mr.O

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year I bought Sennheiser HD598, they are open, not black as the usual, cord is on the left, which took me some time to get used to. Overall high quality not so high priced headphones, I recommend these warmly! sry for drunq engrish!
schoolslave

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultrasone HFI 580 is what I use.
Nice clear bass, with an adequate punch.
The highs is were they shine though (excellent for BM I think), although some people may find the higher frequencies too "piercing".

With headphones, I suggest you try before you buy though, there are as many opinions as there are headphones...
Nanking

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently broke my headphones.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what headphones to use for recording and then mastering/mixing on an analog recorder? / Can anyone tell me what headphones they use?

I was thinking I would just get the Audio Technica ATH M50's as they seem to be the industry standard for this kind of stuff, especially in terms of my price range. They're closed and available in straight and coiled cable. I'm not too happy that the headphones supposedly have 6db of added bass as I want something completely flat. I also don't really want to invest in studio monitors; it just feels silly when I have a nice stereo with 3 good sets of listening speakers.

The other option I was thinking of was getting the Sony MDRV6's for recording and then also getting the AKG 702's for the mixdown. The latter is a pair of open reference headphones that seem to be part of a generally agreed trinity of the best mid priced cans. I also just want excellent headphones so I don't really think it's viable just buying the Sony MDRV6's which are dependable closed headphones for recording, as I'm sure I would miss a lot of details and the AKG's also seem much more comfortable and nicer for listening. I wish there was I place I could demo all these headphones.
asmael LeBouc

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nanking wrote:
Does anyone have any suggestions for what headphones to use for recording and then mastering/mixing on an analog recorder? / Can anyone tell me what headphones they use?

I was thinking I would just get the Audio Technica ATH M50's as they seem to be the industry standard for this kind of stuff, especially in terms of my price range. They're closed and available in straight and coiled cable. I'm not too happy that the headphones supposedly have 6db of added bass as I want something completely flat. I also don't really want to invest in studio monitors; it just feels silly when I have a nice stereo with 3 good sets of listening speakers.

The other option I was thinking of was getting the Sony MDRV6's for recording and then also getting the AKG 702's for the mixdown. The latter is a pair of open reference headphones that seem to be part of a generally agreed trinity of the best mid priced cans. I also just want excellent headphones so I don't really think it's viable just buying the Sony MDRV6's which are dependable closed headphones for recording, as I'm sure I would miss a lot of details and the AKG's also seem much more comfortable and nicer for listening. I wish there was I place I could demo all these headphones.

No. Here is the obvious for you:
Beyerdynamic DT 770

This is far superior to Audio Technica or Sony.
Closed, super comfy, warm as hell sound, natural & powerful: perfect for recording/mixing. Also great for listening leisure.

Its contender is the outstanding
SENNHEISER HD 25

Very powerful and excellent for mixin and listening leisure.
Closed again of course.

TRADE / WANT LIST ! ! ! :
http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12006/
Good sellers/traders: ChapelOfDoom, thetrueevil/ GoldenBull, Hobophobic, NWN PROD
Typhon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That delivers an excellent sound for a great price, which I strongly recommend!
Eiskrieg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Sennheiser HD 650's. I can't imagine needing anything else to listen to metal with. The burn in time is a lot higher for higher end headphones from my experience, so take a while for the sounds to come through as intented, 50-60 hours or so, but after that they are intense.

Whoever mentioned the headphone amp, these are really not needed if you have an amp that is capable of driving your headphones well enough already.
Nanking

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asmael LeBouc wrote:
Nanking wrote:

No. Here is the obvious for you:
Beyerdynamic DT 770
[img]http://www.music-land.be/applications/galerie/images/galerie/grandes/944.jpg[img]
This is far superior to Audio Technica or Sony.
Closed, super comfy, warm as hell sound, natural & powerful: perfect for recording/mixing. Also great for listening leisure.

Its contender is the outstanding
SENNHEISER HD 25
[img]http://en-de.sennheiser.com/images/352/all/square/3588/square_louped_hd_25-1_ii_01_sq_studio_sennheiser.png[img]
Very powerful and excellent for mixin and listening leisure.
Closed again of course.

I was looking at those Beyerdynamics. I may have to try and snag the 32 ohm version for a good price. They look mighty fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: