P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Deris-era HELLOWEEN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Post-Kiske
Master of the Rings
17%
 17%  [ 3 ]
The Time of the Oath
35%
 35%  [ 6 ]
Better Than Raw
23%
 23%  [ 4 ]
The Dark Ride
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Rabbits Don't Come Easy
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Keeper - The Legacy
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Gambling with the Devil
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
7 Sinners
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Straight out of Hell
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 17

NK7
banned

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:51 am    Post subject: Deris-era HELLOWEEN Reply with quote

So there's general agreement on Walls of Jericho being the best album of the early stuff, let's move on to the post-Kiske period. I admit I'm not familiar with absolutely everything they released in the last years and haven't heard a note from the last one yet, but I enjoy Master of the Rings, TTotO and especially Better Than Raw a lot. How can one possibly dislike these lyrics? http://heavylatin.blogspot.it/2008/04/helloween-laudate-dominum.html

Props to Weikath for being a practicing Catholic as well as a great songwriter. Anyway, some great tunes on that album, Falling Higher, I Can, Hey Lord and at least a couple more.
Dalen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dark Ride. Better Than Raw is better quality-wise, but what I really enjoy about TDR is the style, nothing sounds similar imo. Push, Time, A Handful of Pain are also great, I think this album is the best combination of single-hit songwriting without making 'em sound flat in a radio friendly way.
Professor Black

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough call between Oath and Better Than Raw. They were still a very organic band for these albums, whereas the last 3-4 are total brickwall/autotune exercises. Some cool songwriting of course but missing the warmth of the mid 90s stuff.
Dalen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the gap Uli left, you were totally right. He was one of their basic composers during that era. I enjoy more the second half of TDR for the same reason, it is its most organic part, sort of.

Masterplan weren't bad at all by the way, but it's been seriously too long since I listened to their stuff. I remember I really enjoyed Black In The Burn, the 10 minute track from their second album.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: