P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Hyped Metal albums of the 90's
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snt

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

burzum - hvis lyset tar oss
Destrozer

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the mid/late 90s I was in a band here in Stockholm and we shared stage twice with Raise Hell. They were pretty cool guys but the music was not the greatest. But at least they were a thousand times more skilled musicians than us. Laughing
captainretardo

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Six Feet Under was another massively-hyped crud band that garnered enough attention for people not into metal to notice.
Madhukapala

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Storm_Of_Damnation wrote:
The Farthest Star wrote:
asmael LeBouc wrote:
Petrificado wrote:
Myrkwidr wrote:
There was a lot going on with slipknot, marilyn manson and korn stuff at the end of the 90ies. Donīt know if kids are still into those kind of bands.

Theyre definitely into Slipknot, not sure about Korn or Manson. It amazes me when you see bands like Papa Roach and Disturbed still going. What the fuck? They were of an era and I can't believe they endured beyond their trend.

Your "rebel" kids still listen to Slipknot and Korn nowadays. Manson not so much. What's surprising is that since Slipknot there hasnt been a "metal" band with "provocative" imagery that has been followed by an entire generation of teens worldwide. Nothing since Korn and Slipknot. Ghost BC isnt extreme enough music-wise for rebellious teens. L
In the 80īs almost EVERY teen had been into Metallica or Slayer even for a short period, almost any kid back then had had a "metal phase". That sort of phenomenon is over it seems. The 00īs havent offered anything new for the kids.

It's a two pronged issue.

First, you got the fact that metal was very novel back then. Novelty meant a lot more in the '80s because there was simply less novelty to go around. Metal was the loudest, angriest -- backed and condemned by the media in equal measure. By the time people got relatively used to the presence of metal, the novelty was gone. It just wasn't as wild and threatening anymore and that was essentially the whole appeal for weekend warriors. Come the '90s and you've got rap and rave culture making themselves comfortable in the mainstream as well as an influx of home consoles and PCs. It's no wonder that grunge was essentially a statement of "We got so much shit to do, but we're bored, depressed and aimless".

Second, well -- I very much doubt we'll ever see a huge, long-lived universal fad take the world by storm, ever again. The internet made plenty sure that whatever novelty appears, it's already old and scoffed at before 5 minutes are through. Let alone Metal -- which the "smart kids" look down upon as LARPing because being a kid, having imagination and not being afraid to project it is, well, childish. The internet with it's constant bombardment with information made kids confused and disillusioned. God forbid they admit that, instead, they'll do their best to emulate "mature, adult behavior" to cope with the fear and pressure. You know how it is -- metal is for children.

It's always best to remember that a majority of listeners aren't really into it for the music, but the culture and the aesthetic. The hipster internet warriors with their last.fms and "diverse taste" are worst offenders yet because being a poser today is a lot more work than it ever was. Maintaining your precious, unique taste requires dedication and once you crawl into your ass far enough, there's little chance you'll ever find a way out.

Best post on NWNprod.com forums.

Agree. Hitting the fucking nail on the head.
ADK

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NK7 wrote:
Also, count me in for bashing the clueless newbees ignoring them or Raise Hell. Fuck off back to school already.

Best thing about the stupid youth of today is that they STILL think they need to participate a discussion and spread random bullshit, even though it's obvious that they neither witnessed nor experienced the topic in question.
ias

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raise Hell, the mighty axe against the poser youth.
ADK

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, just accept it, things you can't change you shouldn't fight!

WE > you

Forever.
holy ghost

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xeniteia wrote:
However, the trend noticed by nileppez and others is true. Young generations and some adults don't seem to have a bit of focus when it comes to their musical tastes.

I refuse to believe you guys are serious with this nonsense... you're going to try to make a case against listening to what you want, not just metal (and accepted safe bands)?

Get real.... the internet didn't change everything as much as you think, it just widened the networks a lot.....
ias

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADK wrote:
Hey, just accept it, things you can't change you shouldn't fight!

WE > you

Forever.

What is this great fight that you speak of?
the wizard

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they mean the problem isnt having a large musical spectrum(?) but having a foot everywhere and finally not knowing anything in depth, i focus on Metal 'cause it's what pleases me the most and my wallet doesnt allow me to buy evrything i'd like to( some aor or prog, 60' 70' pop, surf, etc ) i even let down punk ... And I still can't claim i know everything, well it's not the goal, let's say musically i have priorities.

Sorry if not clear
Dalen

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy ghost wrote:
Get real.... the internet didn't change everything as much as you think, it just widened the networks a lot.....

As a matter of fact it did on nearly every music related aspect, but that's a completely different subject
holy ghost

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you can understand the context I'm referring to without too much difficulty
Dalen

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, and it did change everything on every aspect, even the one you got in mind. People used to bash new sounds cos that was the metal way of those times, now people do listen to other things besides metal but they still bash those with diverse taste. lol
holy ghost

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the people I knew pre-internet had pretty diverse musical interests. It was only the skinheads, crusty punks and a very shallow cross section of metalheads stuck in a very specific idea of what was true and what wasn't that flew the flag of the straight and narrow.

I know many people nowadays that have diverse tastes and hardly use the internet at all.....

I dunno, maybe I only hung out with faggots.....

Being so stuck in this mode of musical conservatism almost feels more like historical revisionism from those that weren't there, but that could just be me.
Dalen

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah no, I was referring to those guys' posts above and how such examples exist, not to music listeners nowadays in general
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: