P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Classical music - tips?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcompton

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sergei Rachmaninoff both as a composer and performer

https://open.spotify.com/album/0VbNcSOMtxgjpbYlDMCjKd
GoldenBull

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcompton wrote:
Sergei Rachmaninoff both as a composer and performer

https://open.spotify.com/album/0VbNcSOMtxgjpbYlDMCjKd

Really can't second this comment enough.

I recommend Horowitz' version of the Rach 3. It'll flatten you.
NK7
banned

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deathcrusher wrote:

Well, not really, no. What I meant was that you seem to associate certain musical genres with specific social settings, dresscode, interests, even class. If that's not prejudice, I don't know what is. Rolling Eyes

The appreciation of classical music is not limited to people, who wear suits and carry briefcases to work. I think this is the mental image that you keep for no good reason. Similarly, I don't look anything like the people on your picture, yet I've enjoyed metal since my early teens. The bottom line is that great art has an universal appeal and reaches out to the individual, as opposed to the consumer and his need conformity and social validation. I would argue the same for both Consuming Impulse and Chopin's nocturnes.

I see your point and I'm not denying there are legit classical music listeners among metal fans just like there are legit fans of Eiffel 65 and turbofolk for that sake. What I'm saying is that for the large majority this is yet another strategy to try sounding intellectual to the eyes of non-metal crowds.
cochino

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny to see how NK7, who tries to objectively justify x band/record/song is better than y says what he has said about classical music which is superior to metal in any level if you want to get objective.

Anyway, I've always enjoyed this Liszt piece
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM5Qt_MtiiI
NK7
banned

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cochino wrote:
It's funny to see how NK7, who tries to objectively justify x band/record/song is better than y says what he has said about classical music which is superior to metal in any level if you want to get objective.

I fail to see how my remarks about classical music being boring (albeit technically advanced) to listen to contradicts any of my points about metal. I can and will on demand mention more music styles whose composers are better musicians/performers than Watain and still release boring music.
cochino

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But isn't "boring" a very subjective parameter, and therefore worthless of bringing up in a music discussion? Shouldn't the discussion be about objective qualities, as you always claim?

Besides all that, I do agree with the point you make about the supposed like for classical music as a pose for a lot of people into metal. 99% of the time they're gonna say Wagner right away Rolling Eyes
NK7
banned

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I stated clearly enough that classical music is objectively well played, it surely takes a lot of talent and skills to write those complex orchestral lines. Subjectively, I find it boring and sleep-inducing for the most part.
asmael LeBouc

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok another well-known, mandatory masterpiece:

Shubert's "Trio en Mi bémol Majeur"

Just fucking sublime and full of despair

http://touch.dailymotion.com/video/x2rgg9_schubert-trio-mi-bemol-majeur-op-10_music

How the lines of the piano and the chords switch is KILLER

TRADE / WANT LIST ! ! ! :
http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12006/
Good sellers/traders: ChapelOfDoom, thetrueevil/ GoldenBull, Hobophobic, NWN PROD
Nolan_B

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got into classical alongside of getting into metal, and started playing piano shortly after picking up a guitar. Though they are completely different animals, I can see why metal fans might be attracted to many forms of classical. Both forms of art deal with heavy, otherworldly, or triumphant subjects. Also, they both require a lot of time and attention to fully appreciate.
Madhukapala

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Classical music' (almost meaninglessly broad term) was in its day like any other form of popular music. You had a lot of very dull stuff that fulfilled the basics of some kind of stylistic criteria without doing anything else, and then you had some really brilliant material. While it's true that there's kind of a stupid mystique and undeserved aura of sophistication around everything associated with 'classical', it's just as lame to avoid the music on these grounds as it is to be attracted to it by them.

I second all Mussorgsky recommendations in this thread.
Scapegrace

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A true metal fan would absolutely appreciate Schönberg and Stockhausen. If you don't like them and the 12-tone style, you are not true at all.
heavyfelly

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asmael LeBouc wrote:
Medieval and Renaissance music is awesome too.

Profane stuff was more "dancing" but the religious/sacred stuffs were more dramatic.

Religious choirs and monk chants are great as well. Carmina Burana is mandatory.
Pergolese's "Stabat Mater" is so beautiful TBH... (Though Baroque Opera)
Organ pieces can be immense.

There is this Spanish theme called "Folias" upon which MANY composers have created variations durong the Renaissance period. You have that main melodical line and to add and create your own personal variations.
Well that original "core" melody in the "Folias" is fucking beautiful and would make a KILLER black/doom riff.

Great XXth composers have been mentioned already.

First, thank you all for the tips. I´m gonna take a day to go through all of these.

But concerning what you, asmael LeBouc, wrote here about religious choirs and monk chants; i´d love more of that! If you have more of that up you´re sleave (or someone else here) please share. Choirs and chants are right up my alley.
Hallucinogen

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seconding Pergolesi's Stabat Mater. The first part of it is incredibly beautiful, the rest is kind of boring though.
nileppez wrote:
meanwhile the more serious side tends to suffer from overlengthy pieces filled with unneeded quiet sections.
this, this so much

I don't listen to much classical overall, but I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Alfred Schnittke yet.
Also, I personally tend to like classical guitar (or lute or whatever) compositions the most. Stuff like Robert de Visee, Mauro Giuliani, Dionisio Aguado
Carlzilla

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scapegrace wrote:
A true metal fan would absolutely appreciate Schönberg and Stockhausen. If you don't like them and the 12-tone style, you are not true at all.

I HATE most of the 12 tone stuff. I like some of the more traditional pieces by guys who messed with that style, and I do enjoy the opera Solome by Strauss, which was during his flirtation with the 12 tone style.

And now we have fags complaining about other fags. A "fagoboros" if you will.

http://www.last.fm/user/carlzilla
into_the_night

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A more recent composer, Nikita Koshkin. John Williams played the song below on an album, but the composers wife/ apprentice plays it harder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-wd3NimhbM

Also, Still dark but not so brutal would be the gnossienes by Erik Satie.
The aldo ciccolini recordings of that are pretty good; seemingly slower.

And I must attest to mussorgski reccomendations above all.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: