P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Classical music - tips?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Final Holocaust

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post, Pacifism-Sucks, I'll find it very useful.
And obvious yet good point with Mussorgsky's "Night on the Bald Mountain". Such part in "Fantasia" is sheer 2nd wave black metal. "Pictures of an exhibition" would rule as well for any Samael fan, I guess...
Carlzilla

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't just listen to "Night on Bald Mountain" by Mussorgski, a lot of his stuff has a really sinister tone. He did this collection of pieces entitled "Pictures in an Exhibition", a lot of them are also really good. Also, he only wrote for the Piano, but some of his works were later turned into full orchestral pieces by Maurice Ravel. Those versions are also very good.

My favorite pieces come from Hector Berlioz though. Both his Symphonie fantastique and La damnation de Faust are killer.

And now we have fags complaining about other fags. A "fagoboros" if you will.

http://www.last.fm/user/carlzilla
asmael LeBouc

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Medieval and Renaissance music is awesome too.

Profane stuff was more "dancing" but the religious/sacred stuffs were more dramatic.

Religious choirs and monk chants are great as well. Carmina Burana is mandatory.
Pergolese's "Stabat Mater" is so beautiful TBH... (Though Baroque Opera)
Organ pieces can be immense.

There is this Spanish theme called "Folias" upon which MANY composers have created variations durong the Renaissance period. You have that main melodical line and to add and create your own personal variations.
Well that original "core" melody in the "Folias" is fucking beautiful and would make a KILLER black/doom riff.

Great XXth composers have been mentioned already.

TRADE / WANT LIST ! ! ! :
http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12006/
Good sellers/traders: ChapelOfDoom, thetrueevil/ GoldenBull, Hobophobic, NWN PROD
nileppez

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most classical music bores me to death - I'd dare to suggest huge part of it is plain not well written, but because it was made 150 years ago there is some kind of obligation to show respect. I can't help but find Mozart extremely cheesy, same with the more bombastic and cheerful orchestra stuff, meanwhile the more serious side tends to suffer from overlengthy pieces filled with unneeded quiet sections.
I especially find cringeworthy seeing those shitful comparisions with metal like: X composer sounds like doom metal 200 years before it existed, Y composer played pure death metal riffs on strings and other gigantic overinterpretations that only pseudointellectual faggot on hard drugs could seriously see.

This one of my favourite pieces, though: Berlioz - Overture Le Corsaire
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azBA-Isf5Ew
holy ghost

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should check out Emerson, Lake & Palmer's adaptation of Pictures at an Exhibition, that LP fucking RULES.

A lot of their stuff was sourced from classical compositions, also check out Fanfare to the Common Man off Works Vol. 1. That is the most awesome rocking shit ever. Copeland as a composer and conductor was aces too.
NK7
banned

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nileppez wrote:

I especially find cringeworthy seeing those shitful comparisions with metal like: X composer sounds like doom metal 200 years before it existed, Y composer played pure death metal riffs on strings and other gigantic overinterpretations that only pseudointellectual faggot on hard drugs could seriously see.

Gotta agree with you for once. That tryhard shit is sooo annoying.
Mr_Belvedere

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i even heard the classical composers were submitted under the same laws of music theory like death and black metal bands. Wooh!
EternalNight

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arvo Pärt - Cantus in Memoriam Benjamin Britten

Suicide music....
Solarfall

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not boring classical (and famous) music pieces :

SCHUBERT - Death and the Maiden
DVORAK - New World Symphony
MOZART - a lot of stuff, the Requiem for ex.
BEETHOVEN - Symphonie n °7 en la majeur
VIVALDI - 4 seasons (quite happy stuff though..)
Some of CHOPIN or WAGNER's work...

There are many others (and I'm far from beeing a classical music addict).
Classical Music doesn't have to be slow and boring.

NK7 wrote:
I'll be a much happier man the day I understand how in the hell extreme metal fans may like classical music. I'm 100% convinced it's just a facade for the most part, I mean people pretend to be into Beethoven because it's a much convenient way to rehabilitate themselves on an intellectual level and give their ego a boost ("See, I'm not the degenerate alcoholic you thought I was"). 95% of the classical music I heard put me to sleep, I don't question the guys' skills and everything but come on, it's just boring to listen to. Sure, as an Italian I enjoy watching the occasional opera on tv if some good tenor is involved, but never in my wildest dreams I would consider buying cds or stuff. May be it's just me being too much of a diehard metalloid scum.

I don't think so.

But I can imagine your point of vue. I don't understand how metal fans can enjoy and buy hip-hop stuff. Sounds like pure shit to me.
asmael LeBouc

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally enjoyed the fact that Nilepepez sees and judges classical music with our modern "pop" criteria.
Taking the music COMPLETELY out of its context. Brilliant.
Claiming it's not well written while 98% of metal is NOT written music. Brilliant.
Too long sometimes and useless quiet passages as if they were not here for a reason and just following the musical codes of its epoch. Just like poetry. Brilliant.

Just like these old cathedrals which are impossible to heat-up and live-in. Totally not well built. And if you have to clean it up pfff it's too high and stuff it would take forever and those windows with all their dak colors, dont let the light in properly. Stupid for windows huh

TRADE / WANT LIST ! ! ! :
http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12006/
Good sellers/traders: ChapelOfDoom, thetrueevil/ GoldenBull, Hobophobic, NWN PROD
Petrificado

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know an awful lot of classical stuff property, but would be interested in exploring. I do already love Gorecki's 3rd Symphony. Possibly the bleakest piece of music I've ever heard.

The themes though would probably give quite a few round here a stiffy...
holy ghost

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NK7 wrote:
nileppez wrote:

Gotta agree with you for once. That tryhard shit is sooo annoying.

I'll agree with everything here. I really like classical music and have an appreciation for it, but this shit is totally annoying. "Man Bach was the Chuck Shuldiner of his day for real!! So burtal!!!"

Fuck off.....
Deathcrusher

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NK7 wrote:
Deathcrusher wrote:
NK7 wrote:
I'll be a much happier man the day I understand how in the hell extreme metal fans may like classical music. I'm 100% convinced it's just a facade for the most part, I mean people pretend to be into Beethoven because it's a much convenient way to rehabilitate themselves on an intellectual level and give their ego a boost ("See, I'm not the degenerate alcoholic you thought I was"). 95% of the classical music I heard put me to sleep, I don't question the guys' skills and everything but come on, it's just boring to listen to. Sure, as an Italian I enjoy watching the occasional opera on tv if some good tenor is involved, but never in my wildest dreams I would consider buying cds or stuff. May be it's just me being too much of a diehard metalloid scum.

You're missing out.

well may be I am. But come on, are you really suggesting that this kind of people genuinely enjoys Bach?

Well, not really, no. What I meant was that you seem to associate certain musical genres with specific social settings, dresscode, interests, even class. If that's not prejudice, I don't know what is. Rolling Eyes

The appreciation of classical music is not limited to people, who wear suits and carry briefcases to work. I think this is the mental image that you keep for no good reason. Similarly, I don't look anything like the people on your picture, yet I've enjoyed metal since my early teens. The bottom line is that great art has an universal appeal and reaches out to the individual, as opposed to the consumer and his need conformity and social validation. I would argue the same for both Consuming Impulse and Chopin's nocturnes.

This (click) is timeless.
Ihslahm

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pacifism-Sucks wrote:

Igor Stravinsky (Voivod used to say that he influenced them a lot):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGFRwKQqbk4 masterpiece!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urruhLut5vE

They even lifted a section from The Rite of Spring
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r8qCxEYiUg

I hear references/plagiarism to/from The Rite of Spring in the soundtracks to horror movies throughout the 20th century all the time.
I think any metalhead into Voivod, Slayer or Morbid Angel should have a chance of appreciating this piece. It is full of somber, ominous, chaotic and tense passages throughout. Here is a snippet including the unorthodox ballet accompaniment acting out a sacrificial dance. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4coES_ei4PU

And this piece by Walter Murphy was my favorite composition when I was 7 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH9kiOZ9u_k
VATRA I SUMPOR

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Das Neujahrskonzert der Wiener Philharmoniker Cult Eternal!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: