P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Circle of Ouroborus recommendations
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Backwards

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:45 am    Post subject: Circle of Ouroborus recommendations Reply with quote

Okay, the time has come for me to tackle the task of delving into work of CoO. Kuunpalvelus and AAP are two of my favorite labels, and I love all of Atvars projects. I just haven't had the time to really explore CoO's vast body of work. I am listening to the CoO side of the split with Cosmic Church and really dig it a lot, so I think I might purchase a couple LPs. What would you recommed I start with?
asmael LeBouc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok brace yourself boy

Just my 2 cents but I own every release of CoO apart from the last 2 full lengths

First CoO varies sometimes a lot from a release to the other. Soundwise and atmosphere wise. Some tape-releases are actually Ambient and not their trademark "watery BM"
For instance I prefer their "rawer" stuff.

Split with Urfaust is mandatory.
-STREAMS is their best album IMO. CoO at its best
-SHORES is great too
-AMON KETALA (probably a spelling mistake) the 3 tapes/DLP is great too
-NIGHT RADIANCE 1, very rare with a bad sound but awesome
-split with Roman Cross, the 1st one on tape, is GREAT. Has a unique synth-like sound, very New Wave/Dark Wave.

Recent albums are slightly less good IMHO and I'm not crazy about their strictly acoustic output.

Brilliant band for sure, total support

TRADE / WANT LIST ! ! ! :
http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12006/
Good sellers/traders: ChapelOfDoom, thetrueevil/ GoldenBull, Hobophobic, NWN PROD
firmament

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Availability my vary, but you can't go wrong starting with:

Shores

Streams

Tree of Knowledge (my personal favorite of their more straightforward albums)

Eleven Fingers

Following these you can pretty much explore wherever you want in the discography.

If you like Eleven Fingers make sure to check out the other albums in the trilogy(Abrahadabra and The Final Egg), as well as MatterEther (rawer sound on this one, cool and overlooked), Lost Entrance of the Just, Moonflares, Golden Blood and probably other ones I don't own and haven't heard.

Cast To The Pits is an under appreciated one I'd recommend. There's not anything explicitly metal about it, rather a more folk (in the modern sense) approach to their sound.

I'd also recommend not waiting to check out Islands if Streams and Shores appeal to you. It's another somewhat overlooked one, but it's just as good as the more well known albums.
Unmakable

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as vinyl that is still available somewhere, I would definitely recommend MatterEther (has more of a post-punk influence) and Armon Keitalla (straight black metal with a lot of melody) above all. Those two are a couple of my personal favorites, and I own at least one format of every release apart from Star/Rise.
rauta

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Night Radiance trilogy on vinyl is not far off. For those who like the more metal stuff akin to Armon Keitaalla, there's still some copies of a new LP called "Kuuhun kahlittu" available at AAP (a small one-off pressing, this one).
little_raven

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of what I own, the best are Armon Keitaalla, Eleven Fingers and the split with Roman Cross.

Still my fav is Veneration, really nice neofolk vibe. Too bad I only saw one copy on sale, it was an eBay auction that ended in 200-something usd Crying or Very sad
Potok

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rauta wrote:
Night Radiance trilogy on vinyl is not far off. For those who like the more metal stuff akin to Armon Keitaalla, there's still some copies of a new LP called "Kuuhun kahlittu" available at AAP (a small one-off pressing, this one).

Will there be a tape/CD version of this album or any other new tapes or CDs in near future?
taranis

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matter ether
split with urfaust
old ghosts
rajanveto
Phobos

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tree of Knowledge, still my favourite release.
Ough

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phobos wrote:
Tree of Knowledge, still my favourite release.

+1
Not only that but I feel like this record is twice as good as anything else they've done.
Unmakable

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Night Radiance trilogy on vinyl is not far off.
Fantastic! Who is doing this?

Quote:
there's still some copies of a new LP called "Kuuhun kahlittu" available at AAP (a small one-off pressing, this one)
Probably still available due to the cost. The price of this LP was more than any other new single LP I've ever purchased. That in combination with the utterly ridiculous cost of shipping from Finland made this really painful to buy, but I just couldn't let it go.

Any idea on when the Cosmic Church split vinyl will be ready to purchase? My copy of Kuuhun kahlittu is on hold till it becomes available (like many others, i'm sure).
rauta

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unmakable wrote:
Who is doing this?

Final Agony. Can't give any dates but the tests came back positive.

Unmakable wrote:
The price of this LP was more than any other new single LP I've ever purchased. That in combination with the utterly ridiculous cost of shipping from Finland made this really painful to buy, but I just couldn't let it go.

The pricing is unfortunate but as always everyone should take solace in the fact that Circle of Ouroborus records are like Urfaust merch - if you miss one there's another lurking around the corner anyhow.

Unmakable wrote:
Any idea on when the Cosmic Church split vinyl will be ready to purchase? My copy of Kuuhun kahlittu is on hold till it becomes available (like many others, i'm sure).

As far as I know the records are done and we're waiting for other pressing jobs to make it to the same delivery from the plant.

Potok wrote:
Will there be a tape/CD version of this album or any other new tapes or CDs in near future?

No other formats planned for KK but there are new tape & vinyl stuffs in the works.
Tuhkaa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really looking forward to the release that contains Puutarha from Adamantine discipline and.... tape, any dates or some info about this ?
Dismal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like nearly everything I've heard/have by CoO, but I particularly like the sort of lo-fi melancholic (black)metal stuff, so Armon Keitaalla is probably my favourite.

Likewise, the trilogy of Mullan Tuoksu , Pehmeät Kasvot, Sisään katsovat seppelesilmät is all pretty similar to the Armon Keitaalla material so well worth an ear. If you liked the split with Cosmic church I think you'd probably like this stuff...although it is on tape ( although, don't know if it's still available having helpfully suggested it!)

Didn't know about the new vinyl- "Kuuhun Kahlittu. Aye, kind of expensive, but will prob pick this up if I can!

The Rajanveto tape was pretty cool too actually. And then there is the sort of dreamy submerged stuff.. Abrahadabra is cool, and if you manage to pick this up on vinyl, the artwork is amazing in itself.

I should probably check out shores and streams, as although I have the split with Urfaust I haven't heard these..
Sloth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

streams and shores!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: