P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

What re-issues don't suck and reasoning thread.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Valgrinder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piotr Sargnagel wrote:
And don't "improve" the original artwork either please.

Wondered this why-u-has-not-original-artwork-mentality. If musicians back then werent satisfied with original artwork (be it nowadays how classic or whatever) and finally get opportunity to make cover art that they think suits better for album, should label;
A) respect band's decision and change the cover as band wants to?
B) doesent care what band says cause wants to please the customers who want to see original artwork?

Fex. digital paintings of Graveland new rereleases look awful and dont suit on records at all. But Rob Darken himslef seems to love them and he should have the vision and rights how his works should be presented.

Does this look CELTIC or WINTER?

Maybe not but its Darkens decision
Piotr Sargnagel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, you're absolutely right - it is the artist's vision and it should be respected. And different art can be good! Mostly though it's crap like that Graveland picture you posted. And if it's shit art (like anyone with eyes can see) the label should at least do some customer research and see what people want. That's very easy to do now with forums such as this one. New art could always go on the inside cover somewhere if the artist really really wants his/her new artistic vision to be seen. In many many cases though, the original drawings fit better to the music. I am a selfish customer and that's just the way it is with me. Laughing
Vapula

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure just look at those recent Acheron reissues I am not familiar with the band but I remember the reissue covers being awful and I think somebody said they were only used because they were designed by one of the band members girlfriends.
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only reason so called fans get their panties in a knot over new art is because they can't restrain themselves from the collectors mentality of having to own everything 'different' from said band.

Like people that buy every color of the same album, just cause the vinyl is blue, red, and in a green version they have to own a copy of each? It's hilarious and rather silly.
However it appears people cannot help themselves. I beleive this same issue is the real reason behind 'fans' being upset at a new art direction, cause now that mental disorder compels them to have to own the same album again just dressed different. Laughing

It is perhaps the greatest 1st world problem ever. Wink
Tireheb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piotr Sargnagel wrote:
under a funeral shroom wrote:
One of my biggest pet peeves is when labels tack on completely useless live bonus tracks to reissues which A) decreases the quality of the audio due to more space on each side being used B) unnecessarily raises the price C) screws up album continuity (for those who are already well familiar with the release). If they add demo/ep tracks or unreleased bonus songs from the same era that's ok, however.

Completely and totally agree. Fuck off useless live tracks. And don't "improve" the original artwork either please.

One good (or bad?) example of these live bonus tracks is the Funeral (Nor) demo 2LP by The Crypt. Yeah the demo itself needs only one disc but then there is the second disc, making it a double LP, with live show that I'll never listen to. Useless as fuck.
I have this record and can someone tell me what it sounds like, please.

"You can't hide the hook!"
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Morbid LP set that came out, the only part of it worth listening to is the December Moon release songs, that is one LP only, and wasn't the package three LP's of the same songs in various live and demo versions which all sounded like absolute shit and only jacked up the price of a totally useless and worthless package, except for the December Moon issue LP, the only part worth anything of it. Rolling Eyes

CD version only sufficed.
under a funeral shroom

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tireheb wrote:
Piotr Sargnagel wrote:
under a funeral shroom wrote:
One of my biggest pet peeves is when labels tack on completely useless live bonus tracks to reissues which A) decreases the quality of the audio due to more space on each side being used B) unnecessarily raises the price C) screws up album continuity (for those who are already well familiar with the release). If they add demo/ep tracks or unreleased bonus songs from the same era that's ok, however.

Completely and totally agree. Fuck off useless live tracks. And don't "improve" the original artwork either please.

One good (or bad?) example of these live bonus tracks is the Funeral (Nor) demo 2LP by The Crypt. Yeah the demo itself needs only one disc but then there is the second disc, making it a double LP, with live show that I'll never listen to. Useless as fuck.

A great example, I definitely would've bought that record if it were just the demo.

But now in scene of baby Watains and weak emo scums with haircut
Piotr Sargnagel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demoniarch wrote:
The only reason so called fans get their panties in a knot over new art is because they can't restrain themselves from the collectors mentality of having to own everything 'different' from said band.

Like people that buy every color of the same album, just cause the vinyl is blue, red, and in a green version they have to own a copy of each? It's hilarious and rather silly.
However it appears people cannot help themselves. I beleive this same issue is the real reason behind 'fans' being upset at a new art direction, cause now that mental disorder compels them to have to own the same album again just dressed different. Laughing

It is perhaps the greatest 1st world problem ever. Wink

If I don't have the album and I like it I'll buy it no matter what the cover art. I don't tend to hoard multiple copies of the same album (with two exceptions - Abysmal Grief and Sabbat, don't ask me why...). But if I want to get a record I couldn't afford at the time or that I missed, I would like the thing to look and sound like it did when I first wanted it. Extra bullshit can go inside a lavish layout or on a separate piece of paper. There are exceptions of course: NWN's pic disc of I.N.R.I. for example and the new edition of All the witches dance.

Or just put the thing in a black cover with all the trinkets, old and new in a booklet and call it a "cry hard" version for those who missed out on the first edition.
GoldenBull

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demoniarch wrote:
That Morbid LP set that came out, the only part of it worth listening to is the December Moon release songs, that is one LP only, and wasn't the package three LP's of the same songs in various live and demo versions which all sounded like absolute shit and only jacked up the price of a totally useless and worthless package, except for the December Moon issue LP, the only part worth anything of it. Rolling Eyes

CD version only sufficed.

It seems impossible for any label to just reissue December Moon without finding some way to make it cost $40 or more (at least on vinyl anyway). I've skipped all these reissues and stuck with the Morbid/Mayhem boot and been happy for years.
Piotr Sargnagel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and on-topic - the worst CD re-issue ever that I have is the KRAKEN (Col) 2- album one. What a pile of useless crap. Sound is really really poor, the best song is missing, the track order is mixed up. Fuck you Codiscos or whatever the name of that record company is...
Morbid Obesity

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing that bothers me is when the cover art is completely changed. Other than that I don't care. If a cd is a reissue so be it. As long as I have an official copy...
under a funeral shroom

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes disliking new covers has nothing to do with collectibility and everything to do with not wanting to look at something hideous like the example below every time you want to listen to/flip past a record.

But now in scene of baby Watains and weak emo scums with haircut
Tireheb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah those Septic Flesh ones. Fuck. Spiros should be given a good beating for all those abominations he has created for too many albums. He is propably the only one who likes those covers?
I have this record and can someone tell me what it sounds like, please.

"You can't hide the hook!"
Piotr Sargnagel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing good point. It really is all about branding and marketing.
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those photoshop covers look fine, at least they look professional. Are they perhaps over used by too many bands? Perhaps. Laughing

However they are not that atrocious, they do have a shelf appeal. To each their own though. One of those photoshop covers is far better than a wanna be painter with a flat 3 color design and no depth or perspective to their work. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: