P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

What re-issues don't suck and reasoning thread.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DIVERGENTSERIES

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:48 am    Post subject: What re-issues don't suck and reasoning thread. Reply with quote

I'll start - Somberlain "ultimate" reissue because it includes all the demo/7" stuff and because I like Dissection.

The Stooge's Funhouse 180g remaster on Rhino's pretty cool, too.

Last edited by DIVERGENTSERIES on Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:09 am; edited 1 time in total
IronBloodBlasphemy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a good question to ask is what reissues don't sound like utter shit? For example, recently at a friend's house we played the first press of Riot's "Fire Down Under" lp and then put on the recent wax repress and the difference in sound quality was vast.

What represses actually improve upon the original or correct glitches, etc.?

Any represses people should stay away from?
jameswolfe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tormentor-Anno Domini and Seventh Day Of Doom: Long sold out, sounds great, looks great. Perfectly exeuted if you can get over the cost of shipping.

Pagan Altar-Mythical and Magical: Superior to the original in every aspect. Classic release that is also not readily available.

Mayhem-DMDS ADP version: Ultimate version of the ultimate bm album.

One of the keys for me i concerning re-issues is that the album needs to be hard to get. Why shell out 25 for a re-issue if I can go get an original for less???
maniact666

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the late Peaceville, Earache and Century Media Classic Reissues sounds great.
Avoid Relapse, Back on Black.
glwdrk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Velvet Underground & Nico on Lilith, peel-off banana + bonus track.
Twilight Command

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab's reissues of pretty much anything.

I have some Dead Can Dance and Sisters Of Mercy records from MoFi. They all sound incredible.
under a funeral shroom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my biggest pet peeves is when labels tack on completely useless live bonus tracks to reissues which A) decreases the quality of the audio due to more space on each side being used B) unnecessarily raises the price C) screws up album continuity (for those who are already well familiar with the release). If they add demo/ep tracks or unreleased bonus songs from the same era that's ok, however.

But now in scene of baby Watains and weak emo scums with haircut
rauta

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be the only one who thinks the ADP version of De Mysteriis is atrocious. It's a typical example of cramming everything a person can come up with relating to a release in one pile without any consideration for presentation (layout, typefaces etc.). The content is good but I'd much rather have a facsimile type of reissue.

Are there any other decent reissues of this out there?
frostjunkie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jameswolfe wrote:

Seriously the best sounding record I own and everything about it is perfect other than the Watain dudes shitty poster drawing.
Vegeta

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rauta wrote:
I must be the only one who thinks the ADP version of De Mysteriis is atrocious. It's a typical example of cramming everything a person can come up with relating to a release in one pile without any consideration for presentation (layout, typefaces etc.)

I am postive that ALOT of thought and consideration went into that reissue - so yeah you are pretty alone on that one I think

Kvlty wrote:
I Recently got heavily into Goat Semen and Anal vomit
rauta

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would maintain that effort was put in collecting material for the reissue, not too much into how it was put together (or it there was, poor judgement was exercised in the process).
VATRA I SUMPOR

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rauta wrote:
I must be the only one who thinks the ADP version of De Mysteriis is atrocious. It's a typical example of cramming everything a person can come up with relating to a release in one pile without any consideration for presentation (layout, typefaces etc.). The content is good but I'd much rather have a facsimile type of reissue.

x666
Dalen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is the best DMDS edition out there, I really like the extra booklet even if I'm not the biggest fan of luxurious editions. However it is a shame it is so limited, I think an identical repress would be great. It would also drop the price of the original lp.

Hades' reissues are also really great, much better than the originals (I don't own them, but I was lucky enough to make a comparison). Necrobiosis LP is also mandatory, it's unbelievable how copies are still available (unless I am mistaken)
IronBloodBlasphemy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jameswolfe wrote:
Tormentor-Anno Domini and Seventh Day Of Doom: Long sold out, sounds great, looks great. Perfectly exeuted if you can get over the cost of shipping.

Pagan Altar-Mythical and Magical: Superior to the original in every aspect. Classic release that is also not readily available.

One of the keys for me i concerning re-issues is that the album needs to be hard to get. Why shell out 25 for a re-issue if I can go get an original for less???

The Tormentor represses are indeed fantastic. For me it was worth the cost of shipping as "Anno Domini" is one my all-time fav bm records even though I own an original.

Good point about the price. I'm not sure why this is, but the prices of reissues are over the top. In some cases you can find an original in the used bins in decent shape for a few dollars. A reissue doesn't necessarily need to have all the bells and whistles. That's what makes some of these prices prohibitive.

I recall the first press of Marduk's "Those of the Unlight" sounding pretty bad. Anyone hear the repress? How does it compare?
Frozen

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VATRA I SUMPOR wrote:
rauta wrote:

x666

x666
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: