P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Best guitar pedals/amps/set-ups?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dronevil

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orpheus wrote:
That looks *really* fuckin sweet! What do you use to get your sub-octave?

EHX Micro Pog, it tracks fairly well. Was looking into replacing it with a Earthquake Devices Organizer, which does a few extra things. However I watched a side to side comparison video and the Organizer doesn't seem to track as well.
holy ghost

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dronevil wrote:
Orpheus wrote:
That looks *really* fuckin sweet! What do you use to get your sub-octave?

EHX Micro Pog, it tracks fairly well. Was looking into replacing it with a Earthquake Devices Organizer, which does a few extra things. However I watched a side to side comparison video and the Organizer doesn't seem to track as well.

One of the guys in my band uses an organizer and it is hella sweet. Such a cool pedal.
Gruwel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(bottom one)

Amp is at the Russian customs office right now (no clue why). Cthulhu fuzz should be here soon.

Jammed on a buddies Orange Thunder 30 through a Marshall 1960 cab a while ago, pretty astonishing how loud the thing was. It 'felt' louder than our JCM800.
I.T.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guitar gear :

USA Warlock BC Rich with Di Marzio tone zone pickup and NJ Warlock '92 with EMG 85 PU.
Played in a Hughes and Kettner tube 100 amp, this is a light version of the Triamp MK I (only four of the six channels, a bit less drive on the hi gain ch.). Very good amp, sounds like a dirty, heavy marshall who fucked with mesa boogie. I love the tone, not too much gain, but strong personality.
I put on it a MXR 10 band EQ, the tone I can get with this gear is kickass.

Bass gear :
Hohner the jack bass (headless) inside a trace elliot blx 80 combo bass amp.
I use a bass blogger pedal from EHX, which has a fuzz and a disto sound in it, you can choose between the two with a switch. Good pedal.

I used to try a lot of distortion pedals for guitar (boss, digitech, blackstar, tc electronics, behringer, ibanez, danelectro, EHX), both dry in the clean channel or as boosters for the overdrive channel, I always ended up going back to the basic overdrive tone of the amplifier. My opinion is that if you have a good disto tone with your amplifier, no need for distortion pedal. If you dont have, no distortion pedal will change your amp tone radically.
After this, pedals are good to get a specific tone, like those mentionned before (proco rat or tubescreamer in JCM 800, boss HM2 in 5150 or jcm...).

But if you think your amp a little lacks of balls, then the EQ pedal may be the right solution (boss GE7, mxr...). It wont change the tone but you can get a clearer, more powerful render.

The guitar you use counts a lot too, of course. It does half the job, even more sometimes with some amplifier (I used to play on a peavey ultra + and depending on the guitar I put on it, the tone was way different, from shit to ultimate).
eighthplague

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main setup for the new Vomit Orchestra album went like this:

Guitar - Boss CS-3 - EH Big Muff USA (tone and overdrive way down) - Danelectro D6 flange (one of those super cheap models) - MXR Phase 100 (slowest setting) - MXR 10-Band EQ - Boss RE-3 - Space Echo - direct input. I got a lot of really weird tones out of that setup.
ADK

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am quite sure this sounds like shit (without trying out or knowing "Vomit Orchestra").
holy ghost

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eighthplague wrote:

Guitar - Boss CS-3 - EH Big Muff USA (tone and overdrive way down) - Danelectro D6 flange (one of those super cheap models) - MXR Phase 100 (slowest setting) - MXR 10-Band EQ - Boss RE-3 - Space Echo - direct input. I got a lot of really weird tones out of that setup.

That's your band? I have the double CD and that's great stuff. I'm definitely interested in hearing more, I know you guys had done a CD for Autumn Winds (iirc) but I never picked that o e up.

My pedal chain is, right now: tuner, dyna comp clone, us muff, brassmaster clone, boss ph1, malekko 616 delay, boss dd5 delay, cathedral reverb to boss ds1..... I'll add a q tron if I'm playing bass Twisted Evil
dronevil

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gruwel wrote:
Jammed on a buddies Orange Thunder 30 through a Marshall 1960 cab a while ago, pretty astonishing how loud the thing was. It 'felt' louder than our JCM800.

Was talking to a local amp tech the other day. He said that many of the "50w" Marshall's only actually have about 25-30w of clean headroom, that might explain why it feels a bit quiet.

TH30 is class A so it would feel louder too. My mate kept his at my place and it's loud as fuck. However I find it to be a bit of a one trick pony (due to the EQ control). It's really great for that mid scooped thrash sound but it's quite hard to get other sound without some external help.
Gruwel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dronevil wrote:
Gruwel wrote:

Was talking to a local amp tech the other day. He said that many of the "50w" Marshall's only actually have about 25-30w of clean headroom, that might explain why it feels a bit quiet.

TH30 is class A so it would feel louder too. My mate kept his at my place and it's loud as fuck. However I find it to be a bit of a one trick pony (due to the EQ control). It's really great for that mid scooped thrash sound but it's quite hard to get other sound without some external help.

TBH I know fuck all about tube types and wattages, I know there isn't a huge difference in volume between 50w and 100w but supposedly there's a lot of science behind it? Someone recently told me the difference between 50/100w is only a couble of dB Idea But yeah, I noticed the Marshalls tend to be a little quiet.

As for the one trick pony thing - it depends what you're into, I guess. With Speedguru I want a dirty fuzzy sound and Orange/similar amps are great for that.
Madhukapala

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have any thoughts on Line 6 amp sims, or amp sims in general?
Orpheus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gruwel wrote:
dronevil wrote:
Gruwel wrote:

TBH I know fuck all about tube types and wattages, I know there isn't a huge difference in volume between 50w and 100w but supposedly there's a lot of science behind it? Someone recently told me the difference between 50/100w is only a couble of dB Idea But yeah, I noticed the Marshalls tend to be a little quiet.

As for the one trick pony thing - it depends what you're into, I guess. With Speedguru I want a dirty fuzzy sound and Orange/similar amps are great for that.

A doubling of output power is equivelant to +3dB universally, recording, amplifiers, you name it. It is a logarithmic scale, rather than linear. Going from 50 to 100 watts will not seem like much but in a band situation it can be noticeable. I think the advantage of the Orange is probably how its EQ is voiced... certain frequencies seem "bigger" than others which is why scooping all your mids may sound cool if youre stuck in the 90s all by yourself, but in a band you will be inaudible.
I think in many cases a good parametric EQ is probably the second pedal/module every guitarist/musician should own, even if you never intend to perform with one. If you slap one in your fx loop and fiddle with it, you almost simulate completely different voicings and amps. You will hear that "oh, if my jcm800 had more low mids it would sound like this...." you can then take your amp to a tech and say " I need more of X frequency range" and he would be able to to do it for you, rather than " make this louder, man"
eighthplague

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADK wrote:
I am quite sure this sounds like shit (without trying out or knowing "Vomit Orchestra").

Thanks!
eighthplague

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy ghost wrote:
eighthplague wrote:

That's your band? I have the double CD and that's great stuff. I'm definitely interested in hearing more, I know you guys had done a CD for Autumn Winds (iirc) but I never picked that o e up.

My pedal chain is, right now: tuner, dyna comp clone, us muff, brassmaster clone, boss ph1, malekko 616 delay, boss dd5 delay, cathedral reverb to boss ds1..... I'll add a q tron if I'm playing bass Twisted Evil

Thanks. The album stuff is a bit less "evil" sounding, a little more spacey. There's an EP called The Aura of Saints which is more like the old demo material and that will be out in a month or so, then an album called Eptirconvellere that will be out early next year. The album is less like the older stuff, but if you are into krautrock and less noisy/metal stuff, you might dig it.
Orpheus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madhukapala wrote:
Anyone have any thoughts on Line 6 amp sims, or amp sims in general?

When that stuff started coming out it was all about marketing to teenagers who couldnt afford a real tube amp and a floor covered in pedals. A stopgap measure for convenience and affordability. In that sense, I think theyre great. You can keep your real rig at your rehearsal space and have a shitty practice amp and a Pod at home for fucking around with.
One band locally uses a Line 6 spider and an old valvestate for rehearsing,and guess what? The line 6 sounds "ok" on its own, but when the band plays it sounds weak, limp and decidedly inferior to the valvestate (which I have always felt are great value and extremely underrated)

Now the technology has advanced substantially and so have certain price ranges. When you have an Axe FX selling for $3k and being on waitinglist before you get one, something entirely different is happening. Your customers arent broke teenagers anymore, theyre people who can afford to buy anything they want.
I know there are bands that like them because changing patches and effects is a one push deal; plus you can get on a plane with your axe fx and your guitar show up at the venue, plug in and youre set. Repeatability and (again) convenience seem to be advantageus.

HOWEVER, I think this "emulation" jargon is marketing BS. Just like when you buy a little delay pedal with some BBD chips and junk in it with "TAPE DELAY" written right across it. FUCK that, using a noun as an adjective for marketing purposes is jewish bullshit.

You can have a Soldano patch, a JCM800 patch ad nauseum, quantized to however many samples per second with whatever whizbang algorithm they can figure out (which is impressive) but they will not sound the same. They will probably sound good, even great, and possibly "better" , but they can only approximate certain characteristics of the sound rather than the whole picture.
One company's approach that I like is Eventide. To me, they seem less interested in reinventing and emulating old analog stuff digitally but rather coming up with new sounds that cant be made outside of the digital realm. Once the second hand price goes down a bit I will consider getting an Eventide Space, or maybe an H3000. Who knows.

Also, I personally like twiddling knobs, plugging and unplugging shit and feeling the tubey goodness rather than scrolling through a menu on a little lcd screen. One makes ne want to play guitar, the other makes me feel like Im using my debit card and it keeps getting declined.
holy ghost

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eighthplague wrote:
holy ghost wrote:
eighthplague wrote:

Thanks. The album stuff is a bit less "evil" sounding, a little more spacey. There's an EP called The Aura of Saints which is more like the old demo material and that will be out in a month or so, then an album called Eptirconvellere that will be out early next year. The album is less like the older stuff, but if you are into krautrock and less noisy/metal stuff, you might dig it.

This all sounds like it's right up my alley - keep us posted mate!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: