P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Best guitar pedals/amps/set-ups?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
holy ghost

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gruwel wrote:
Someone recently told me the difference between 50/100w is only a couble of dB

Yeah, My 900 is a 100w with a selectable switch between 50 & 100 and I don't notice much of a difference at all - I read somewhere that on the lower setting it's easier to drive your amp into overdrive... or is it the other way around? Whatever....

Gruwel wrote:
But yeah, I noticed the Marshalls tend to be a little quiet.

Shocked mate I am worried your amp might be sick. Mine is never ever quiet....

Orpheus wrote:
You can have a Soldano patch, a JCM800 patch ad nauseum, quantized to however many samples per second with whatever whizbang algorithm they can figure out (which is impressive) but they will not sound the same.

Boom. This right fucking here. For example, everything Godflesh did was with a JCM800, everything Jesu did was with a Line 6 amp modeller..... I quite like some of the early Jesu records, but they can't twerk that same feeling as STREETCLEANER (different bands, different sounds, I know, but you see where I'm going with this, right?)
Orpheus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the lower setting you can get easier overdrive on your power tubes since you have disengaged one of the two pairs you have. those power soaks and attenuators try to do that differently. Plug it between your amp and speakers, dime it and watch 90 of your 100 watts turn into heat.

If your amp seems quiet check your tubes or the filter capacitors
dronevil

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy ghost wrote:
For example, everything Godflesh did was with a JCM800, everything Jesu did was with a Line 6 amp modeller..... I quite like some of the early Jesu records, but they can't twerk that same feeling as STREETCLEANER (different bands, different sounds, I know, but you see where I'm going with this, right?)

Most importantly, different bass player. Laughing

Gruwel wrote:
As for the one trick pony thing - it depends what you're into, I guess. With Speedguru I want a dirty fuzzy sound and Orange/similar amps are great for that.

If it has a 3 band EQ then it would be a lot more usable. It sounded a bit boxy having the shape knob before 12 o'clock, yet it starts to scoop your mids after 12'. The only way I can see to get it do something else other than thrash is have the shape at 12' then chuck an EQ pedal in the fx loop...

I found the difference between 50 & 100w is more about headroom than volume. If you want pristine cleans or big low end at rehearsal volume then 50 watters would struggle a bit.

It's popular belief that you can rehearse/gig with 10-20w lunchbox tube amps nowadays, but I found them only good at that mid-gain power tube overdrive sound. If you play cleans or modern hi gain they are probably only good as home practice amps...
eighthplague

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main setup is: guitar - BBE Freq Boost - Big Muff USA - Boss CE-5 - MXR 10 band - Space Echo - Laney GH100L/whatever cab I've borrowed. The sounds I can get out of that setup are absurdly ugly and heavy.

For practice I use a Boss CS-3 into a PodXT plugged into a stereo or small practice amp.
dronevil

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New addition to the family, 1988 BC Rich USA ST3, courtesy to a friend.
Hellpig

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My current setup ... very satisfied with it!
Devoured Death

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There can be no faulting the 5150 (well, once you have a gate), I really regret having to sell mine!

I've recently been hailing the shit out of DOD FX56-B - it only seems to sound good in low tunings, but coupled with the JCM 800 turned up high the sound is absolutely crushing! I believe it was a staple piece of the Mortal Throne of Nazarene sound also!
holy ghost

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dronevil wrote:
holy ghost wrote:
For example, everything Godflesh did was with a JCM800, everything Jesu did was with a Line 6 amp modeller..... I quite like some of the early Jesu records, but they can't twerk that same feeling as STREETCLEANER (different bands, different sounds, I know, but you see where I'm going with this, right?)

Most importantly, different bass player. Laughing

True, but I'm only really referencing guitar tone here specifically my friend! The bands are hugely different, but you read these interviews with Broadrick talking about getting the perfect sound with an 800, then eventually he said "fuck it" and used a pod for everything.... Mad
re-animator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The set up I've been recording with lately is-
80's bc rich stealth or Jackson RR1 w EMG's, into maxon od9 pro+, into a BYOC big muff ram's head clone, sometimes into Tc electronic flashback for chorus or delay, into 1975 Marshall jmp

Altogether it's oddly death metal sounding, in a way that I love. Very raw and not ENGL sounding

Live I play drums
holy ghost

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confession time. I don't even really know what "headroom" even means.....

I had this brassmaster clone made, and cranked its about 400,000 times louder than a big muff and sounds like the world ending.....
dronevil

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy ghost wrote:
True, but I'm only really referencing guitar tone here specifically my friend! The bands are hugely different, but you read these interviews with Broadrick talking about getting the perfect sound with an 800, then eventually he said "fuck it" and used a pod for everything.... Mad

The guitars work in very different context in those 2 bands. Godflesh is a very bass driven band and the guitar just adds hi/mid frills, most of the punch in that sound comes from the bass. Jesu on the other hand is much more guitar dominant with layered wall of guitars. It's more about a very different approach of tone in 2 different contexts rather than a simple tube vs modeller thing. I'm pretty sure he would have no problem to get the Godflesh sound on a modeller or get the Jesu sound on a tube amp.

Also modellers mostly model recorded tones, so usually it sounds/feels "wrong" when you are doing a straight comparison to an real amp. Under recording situation you can probably get 85%-90% there with a good modeller and get away with it.
Orpheus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy ghost wrote:

I had this brassmaster clone made, and cranked its about 400,000 times louder than a big muff and sounds like the world ending.....

"Headroom" is how much dynamic range you have before what youre playing through starts to clip or compress.
Orpheus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy ghost wrote:

"Headroom" is how much dynamic range you have before what youre playing through starts to clip or compress.
holy ghost

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the craft store today to get some velcro for my pedalboard, and man, it's shitty stuff!! I guess I need to buy some industrial style pedalboard velcro at 6 times the price of craft store velcro.

Setup is now: Tuner > dyna comp clone > Big Muff > Brassmaster clone > Rat clone > Boss PH1 Phaser > DD6 > Malekko 616 > Cathedral reverb > EHX Q-Tron.... for guitar and bass playing....

Orpheus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You find it works well to put modulation effects in front of the amp?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: