P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Best guitar pedals/amps/set-ups?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vendix

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devoured Death wrote:
A mix of original 5150 and Engl Powerballs for Cruciamentum.

I've recently sold the 5150 and bought a JCM 800 though, I'm currently using a Blackstar HT-Distx with it, but if anyone has any other suggestions for good distortion pedals, then please - let me know!

I've also had to downgrade from the oversized Mesa Boogie 4x12 cab to a Carvin Legacy 4x12 - I'm not entirely happy with this though, it could be that I'm not accustomed to the sound of it, but there seems to be something not quite right in the mid-range. Perhaps without the ultra thick grill, the V30s aren't actually that great and I should try something else out?

I also have a Blackstar HT-Distx suites me well . If you wanted to have a alternative this one ive used recently costly but it does the job for me.

http://toneczar.com/pedals-openh.htm
kjs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly off-topic but can someone recommend a decent and cheap mic for bass drum.
dronevil

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kjs wrote:
Slightly off-topic but can someone recommend a decent and cheap mic for bass drum.

How cheap? Shure Beta52 and AKGD112 are basically the standards and they are around the 150 euros price mark. Cheaper than that you have Shure PG52 but not really that much cheaper.
Devoured Death

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Prophet Muhammad wrote:
I think the 57 and 58 are the exact same microphone, but with different casing. What you are saying probably explains why it is a struggle to get a tone out of it that isn't totally empty and bereft of any life. Looking forward to rigging up the other mic and seeing how it sounds. I used the sm57 on a squier starter amp one time and it actually sounded really good Laughing

No, they're similar, but not the same. A 57 is much more suited to recording guitars.

Orpheus wrote:
The Eminence Governor is basically a V30 clone without the midrange "honk". Unfortunately, I dont know how easy it is to get them in Europe.

Also, I have heard good things about Warehouse speakers
http://wgs4.com/catalog/british-invasion
They have a version of the the 30 they call "Veteran 30" (which is actually rated for 60w) that I have been meaning to try. They used to sell them for about 50 plus shipping, and now they charge $69. I guess they are selling well! Unfortunately they are also a US manufacturer, so short of ordering them I dont think you'll get to try them in EU.

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll check those out, but I was actually thinking about switching completely - maybe to greenbacks?
holy ghost

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devoured Death wrote:
I think the 57 and 58 are the exact same microphone, but with different casing. What you are saying probably explains why it is a struggle to get a tone out of it that isn't totally empty and bereft of any life. Looking forward to rigging up the other mic and seeing how it sounds. I used the sm57 on a squier starter amp one time and it actually sounded really good Laughing

No, they're similar, but not the same. A 57 is much more suited to recording guitars.

My bandmates and I record pretty much everything we do and have had great results even using a couple of 58s on the drum kit and 57s on guitars and bass (bass would be better suited to a DI, but in a pinch....) - the mic should never that much of an issue tbqh it's the placement (esp for drums) and the amount of compression you apply afterwords. I have some experience getting live sound, micing, recording etc but the drummer in my band is a fucking WIZARD at getting a good sound out of a straight recording, using typically nothing more than a compressor and maybe a touch of EQ

Of course the "Jimmy Page" method of recording guitars is probably the best, but when do we ever get to record in studios where you can do this?

"Recording used to be a science" and "[engineers] used to have a maxim: distance equals depth." Taking this maxim to heart, Page developed the idea of placing an additional microphone some distance from the amplifier (as much as twenty feet) and then recording the balance between the two. By adopting this technique, Page became one of the first British producers to record a band's "ambient sound" – the distance of a note's time-lag from one end of the room to the other"
asmael LeBouc

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With some of the non-metal projects I was a part I had the chance to record in professionnal studios and even for the drums mics, the distance factor was taken into account: once mics were placed 5m away from the drums to have all the depth and echoe.
5 meters though not 20ft! That's crazy but irrelevant for extreme metal since what matters is direct energy/power/agression/in yer face setting with mic directly stuck in front of the speaker. Maximum overdrive.

I can only speak for Funeralium so Marquis abuses Gibson SG with fully tubed ORANGE head & speaker with Dirty Rat disto pedal. DOOM ON

TRADE / WANT LIST ! ! ! :
http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12006/
Good sellers/traders: ChapelOfDoom, thetrueevil/ GoldenBull, Hobophobic, NWN PROD
Devoured Death

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was the Dirty Rat used on the last recording? The guitars sounded amazing on that!
Gruwel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devoured Death wrote:
A mix of original 5150 and Engl Powerballs for Cruciamentum.

I've recently sold the 5150 and bought a JCM 800 though, I'm currently using a Blackstar HT-Distx with it, but if anyone has any other suggestions for good distortion pedals, then please - let me know!

I've also had to downgrade from the oversized Mesa Boogie 4x12 cab to a Carvin Legacy 4x12 - I'm not entirely happy with this though, it could be that I'm not accustomed to the sound of it, but there seems to be something not quite right in the mid-range. Perhaps without the ultra thick grill, the V30s aren't actually that great and I should try something else out?

How do you like the JCM 800 and does the Blackstar do a good job at giving you a proper distorted sound? I noticed that the amp itself is pretty 'clean' and you need a good distortion pedal to get a proper death metal sound.

That said, the recent Speedguru demo was recorded with a JCM 800 and a Line 6 Pod HD300 - still shopping for a decent fuzz/dist pedal as my tone could really use some work and I hate programming multi effects.
asmael LeBouc

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devoured Death wrote:
Was the Dirty Rat used on the last recording? The guitars sounded amazing on that!

I think so yeah. Though the distortion of the Orange head is flabbergasting, I think Dirty Rat was needed to add that crunchiness while retainīg the smoothness of the Gibson+Orange combo.

Live this is what you'll get for sure if you come at the KTDF Wink

TRADE / WANT LIST ! ! ! :
http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12006/
Good sellers/traders: ChapelOfDoom, thetrueevil/ GoldenBull, Hobophobic, NWN PROD
dronevil

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devoured Death wrote:

Gruwel wrote:
That said, the recent Speedguru demo was recorded with a JCM 800 and a Line 6 Pod HD300 - still shopping for a decent fuzz/dist pedal as my tone could really use some work and I hate programming multi effects.

I used to have a 800. Crank preamp volume and master volume to kick the 800 into power amp overdrive. Then run a Rat into the amp (preferably the ones with LM308 chip), adjust the gain on both the amp and the pedal to taste.

For a bit more clarity, chuck an overdrive (volume maxed, gain all the way down) or a clean boost after the Rat.

A LM308 Rat costs something around $120 used, or get a decent clone with LM308 chip like Mooer Black Secret for about $70.

Rat works great with Engl as well, it adds a bit more filth to the otherwise "modern" hi gain tone from the amp yet you still have all the definition.
Orpheus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If people are handy, owning a JCM 800 is great. They were "the" heavy guitar amp for so long that the mods for them are so well documented its unreal. Look up Jose Arredondo mods. They arent hard to do, any halfass tv repair guy can do them if you give them ths schematic. Hell, as long as people learn how to discharge capacitors safely I could talk them through it online.

There was a time that you could buy one for $300 used depending on where you live. Thats insane.
Orpheus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devoured Death wrote:

Orpheus wrote:
The Eminence Governor is basically a V30 clone without the midrange "honk". Unfortunately, I dont know how easy it is to get them in Europe.

Also, I have heard good things about Warehouse speakers
http://wgs4.com/catalog/british-invasion
They have a version of the the 30 they call "Veteran 30" (which is actually rated for 60w) that I have been meaning to try. They used to sell them for about 50 plus shipping, and now they charge $69. I guess they are selling well! Unfortunately they are also a US manufacturer, so short of ordering them I dont think you'll get to try them in EU.

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll check those out, but I was actually thinking about switching completely - maybe to greenbacks?

Its funny, both of these companies exist because of the expense of shipping celestions from the UK. That and many people think they're better. I've never tried Greenbacks, nobody I know uses them or reccommended them for this kind of music. I had an opportunity to get an original 412 with those once for 400 but couldnt afford it. One thing to warn you about though, the classic rock guys liked them because of how they sounded when PUSHED with an overdriven power amp. They are only rated for 25 watts each, so they got a reputation for unreliability when used in such a way. Thats why theyre such a "holy grail" here in NA, for ppl into that sound....they all broke!
Try what you can get easily and cheaply to your area. I wouldnt order anything unless you were sure its what you want. Shipping new speakers is not cheap.
dronevil

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orpheus wrote:
There was a time that you could buy one for $300 used depending on where you live. Thats insane.

Got mine for really cheap however it was the 2205 version with clipping diodes. Kinda wanted to get it modded closer to a 2203 then realized that I don't even like UK-type amps for what I play so I sold it.

Orpheus wrote:
One thing to warn you about though, the classic rock guys liked them because of how they sounded when PUSHED with an overdriven power amp. They are only rated for 25 watts each, so they got a reputation for unreliability when used in such a way.

I like the Greenback's in my Orange quad. I usually avoid going into the power amp overdrive stage with my current set up, a hi gain preamp tone into an overdriven power amp is a bit messy. Seems to be safe for me so far.
Orpheus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clipping diodes are great for newbie circuit benders. Put in different types, on a switch to try what sounds good. LEDs sound pretty neat. Same goes for distortion/overdrives
Evilust

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to fail with a Gibson + Marshall combination, specially when the amp is boosted by an OD pedal.

Anyway, I recently tried one of these new "mini" heads (Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier 25w) and it did the job for me.

With this amp, a Gibson and some distortion boxes I get a lot of great tones.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: