P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Best guitar pedals/amps/set-ups?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dronevil

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evilust wrote:
It's hard to fail with a Gibson + Marshall combination

Not always. Under $1000 modern Gibsons are pretty yuck in general, satin finish on mahogany necks feels extremely clunky. If you can shell out more for a proper one then it's another story. Marshalls could be a bit hit and miss as well.
The Prophet Muhammad

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibsons always seem to have clunky necks. No use for them at all.

...well... firewood?
dronevil

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Prophet Muhammad wrote:

...well... firewood?

It's not the neck shape, it's the finish on the cheaper ones. Mahogany is a lot more grainy compared to maple and with a satin finish it feels pretty yuck. The ones with gloss finish plays a lot better.
Gruwel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dronevil wrote:
The Prophet Muhammad wrote:

...well... firewood?

It's not the neck shape, it's the finish on the cheaper ones. Mahogany is a lot more grainy compared to maple and with a satin finish it feels pretty yuck. The ones with gloss finish plays a lot better.

I hate gloss finishes - most of my guitars have oiled necks. My Hufschmid has a mahogany neck and I don't really mind the grain, as long as it's properly sanded it's not at all that noticable.

Cheers for the advice on the JCM800 sound, btw.
Devoured Death

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dronevil wrote:
I used to have a 800. Crank preamp volume and master volume to kick the 800 into power amp overdrive. Then run a Rat into the amp (preferably the ones with LM308 chip), adjust the gain on both the amp and the pedal to taste.

How is the Rat with the 800? I tried one in a guitar shop (admittedly on a not so great small combo) but it actually sounded kind of thin. Of course, I know everyone worships the Rat/800 combination, but how is it with the bottom end of the amp, still possible to get a lot of low end there? I don't want to mod the amp for more gain since I have an 80s model with no FX loop - so I'm going to have to go with pedal distortions for now!

Orpheus wrote:
Its funny, both of these companies exist because of the expense of shipping celestions from the UK. That and many people think they're better. I've never tried Greenbacks, nobody I know uses them or reccommended them for this kind of music. I had an opportunity to get an original 412 with those once for 400 but couldnt afford it. One thing to warn you about though, the classic rock guys liked them because of how they sounded when PUSHED with an overdriven power amp. They are only rated for 25 watts each, so they got a reputation for unreliability when used in such a way. Thats why theyre such a "holy grail" here in NA, for ppl into that sound....they all broke!

Good point, they could sound crap for this! I've liked how full they sounded in demos, but never took into consideration the power. Maybe an alternative to the V30s is a better option!
tombrady3776

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Police Sunglasses 2056qupXG Reply with quote

It also means fellow gamers will nod their head in recognition Police Sunglasses and not ignore me cos they think girls don't like games. RB2140 , but basic black will never lead you sartorially astray, and it won't look dated when RB3016 turquoise is no longer the "it" color of the season. Allow me to continue to wax poetic about Marc Jacobs for a moment. Don't you think her mother ever told her to stand up straight. I love the pleated leather on the frame, it is ladylike with a sexy modern twist. It is also Oakley Holbrook available in black. Let's be honest, there has not been much praise from the PurseBlog team given to Versace. Sequins and brightly colored flaps distinguished subsequent bags. The bag for the occasion was her Pauric Sweeney pebble-y solid block pebble detailed clutch, which she's ever so nicely showing off for the camera – I like RB3483 featuring celebrities on events with their designer purses, but on most occasions the camera man doesn't focus on the designer bag. The pressure of work, professional life, and other personal reasons, have great influence on the quality of life of married couples. 24Occupation.
dronevil

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devoured Death wrote:
How is the Rat with the 800? I tried one in a guitar shop (admittedly on a not so great small combo) but it actually sounded kind of thin. Of course, I know everyone worships the Rat/800 combination, but how is it with the bottom end of the amp, still possible to get a lot of low end there? I don't want to mod the amp for more gain since I have an 80s model with no FX loop - so I'm going to have to go with pedal distortions for now!

The key thing is to use the Rat as a booster to your overdriving amp - don't run it into a clean amp, that won't give you enough gain. Try max out both the master and preamp volume on your 800 and have the gain on the Rat at around noon.

I got enough low end from running the Rat into the 800. But since you have been using more modern hi gain amps like 5150 and Engl I kinda doubt if you can get enough gain you want from the Rat + 800 combination. The Blackstar pedal you are using is basically overtaking the characteristics of the amp and turning it into another amp.

Your Engl would give you more low end and clarity really, just use a Rat as a booster to give you a bit more filth.

Avoid buying the newer Proco Rats, either pick up a pre-2000 one with LM308 chip or a LM308 Rat clone, along those lines:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111095508751
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181085537229
Devoured Death

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dronevil wrote:
Devoured Death wrote:

The key thing is to use the Rat as a booster to your overdriving amp - don't run it into a clean amp, that won't give you enough gain. Try max out both the master and preamp volume on your 800 and have the gain on the Rat at around noon.

I got enough low end from running the Rat into the 800. But since you have been using more modern hi gain amps like 5150 and Engl I kinda doubt if you can get enough gain you want from the Rat + 800 combination. The Blackstar pedal you are using is basically overtaking the characteristics of the amp and turning it into another amp.

Your Engl would give you more low end and clarity really, just use a Rat as a booster to give you a bit more filth.

Avoid buying the newer Proco Rats, either pick up a pre-2000 one with LM308 chip or a LM308 Rat clone, along those lines:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111095508751
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181085537229

Thanks for the advice! I'm new to the 800 having only bought it recently, and after a lot of messing about, I think I finally got a suitable sound using the Blackstar pedal with it for now. I'd love to be getting the real Marshall sound out of it, but the lack of an FX loop is serious hindrance. I think I need to get a tech to install one to get the full use out of it!
dronevil

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devoured Death wrote:
the lack of an FX loop is serious hindrance. I think I need to get a tech to install one to get the full use out of it!

Do you usually run a EQ pedal in the FX loop or something? Otherwise it shouldn't be too much of a problem?
Devoured Death

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dronevil wrote:
Devoured Death wrote:
the lack of an FX loop is serious hindrance. I think I need to get a tech to install one to get the full use out of it!

Do you usually run a EQ pedal in the FX loop or something? Otherwise it shouldn't be too much of a problem?

Reverbs and delays! They need to be as clean as possible!
holy ghost

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a JCM900 100w head, not the same as an 800 I know, but I rarely use the FX loop - it honestly doesn't make that much of a difference in the overall sound. Some, but not enough to justify running cables in and out all over the place. Especially if you don't have a dedicated place to keep your gear, it becomes kind of a pain. And I use modulation constantly!
Norseman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an old JCM800 and its really a great amp for what its worth, but more a classic rock/metal than an extreme metal amp. Its really low on distortion by itself. As for mics I have used both a SM57 and SM58 to record with and even if SM57 is the traditionally prefered choice for micing a guitar amp (they have slightly different frequency responses) I would advice experimenting. I found that my old SM58 gave a result that I like a little bit better than the one from my newer SM57. My first advice when recording amps with mics is in any case to keep the distortion level reasonably low, cause while it might sound great in the rehearsal room the result can be a really crappy and thinny recording.
ADB

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14263
Hellpig

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evilust wrote:
It's hard to fail with a Gibson + Marshall combination, specially when the amp is boosted by an OD pedal.

Anyway, I recently tried one of these new "mini" heads (Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier 25w) and it did the job for me.

With this amp, a Gibson and some distortion boxes I get a lot of great tones.

Agree!

I use Gibson Flying V 67 -> Ibanez TS-9 -> JCM900 4100 -> Orange PPC 412 Cab

Gets the job done for me at least
Orpheus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody done any experimenting with NOS (New Old Stock) tubes? I might be acquiring an Ampeg SVT-300, and wouldnt mind trying some "cork sniffing". I realise that a sextet of Old Stock 6550s will likely cost me as much as the amp and is probably not worth it and unattainable but we can dream right? Some guys dream of ferraris I dream of Thermionic valves made before environmental regulations! Cool

I myself have observed that RCA (and various rebrands manufactured by them) 12AX7s are really good, and are kind of "sleepers". You can find them in bins of electronic junk stores sometimes for peanuts. Telefunken ECC81s are a REALLY good low gain tube, used where you want lots of current rather than voltage gain. I use it as the driver tube in my Marshall 9005 power amp.
Otherwise, I have found that JJ Electronic is probably the best current manufacturer of tubes for Black or Death Metal, in my opinion. They are also surprisingly the cheapest.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: