P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Best guitar pedals/amps/set-ups?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gruwel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orpheus wrote:
Gruwel wrote:
Just put in a pre-order for a Dunwich Amps Cthulhu fuzz, looking forward to how it's gonna sound. Not a bad score with the current exchange rate either.

Anyone have experience with Jet City Amplification? Doubting between the JCA22h and 50h for living room/bedroom-warriorism, home studio stuff and jams/rehearsals. Much better priced than the Orange Terror series and they get pretty good reviews too.

I've been following Dunwich for a bit now, and I like what he's been doing with his Model T/ Orange esque builds. I didnt know he was doing effects, I have to check that out.

I think that the overdrive channel on the Jet City is a copy of the SLO-100s ( Jet City is SOLDANO's Made in China brand), I will check that. If that is indeed the case, then that is as cheap as it gets for that circuit including building it yourself.

I haven't played the Jet City, but I have played an original SLO-100, as well as clones I built myself and I feel that they are great amps. They sound great when playing by yourself, but their value shows when playing an a band environment: they have a certain trebly and upper mid emphasis that means you wont be competing with your bassist for the same slice of the frequency band. They don't compress the same way that high gain amps made afterwards do, like the 5150 or Mesa (which I think is a shit brand for high-gain) meaning your playing technique is highlighted rather than covered up. If you're sloppy, you WILL hear it.

The JCA is basically a Soldano clone, yeah. I don't like the 5150 sound too much and never had a Mesa (Mesa is expensive here, meh). Wonder how it competes/compares with the JCM 800 I'm using now.

Dunwich has been doing effects for a while but they're all pretty limited. He recently announced a run of 10 Wizard and 10 Cthulhu pedals. I originally wasn't planning on joining in but today he posted there was an open spot left and I couldn't resist. The samples on his soundcloud are nice and if his stuff is good enough for Conan and Slomatics, I'm sure it'll be good enough for me. Will post samples when it arrives.
Motorfukk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in 9th and 10th grade, I was obsessed with shitty Prog Metal and shitty Tech Death, so I was super into guitar gear. I was always experimenting with different amps and effects at the music shops around town. By the end of high school, when I was getting into Blasphemy and Beherit type of stuff, I just stopped giving a fuck about it. My rig now is just a $300 guitar into a Line 6 GX with the Pod Farm software being run into the effects return on my amp for speakers. I usually use the JCM 800 model with a boost and a noise gate in front of it. Maybe someday I'll get the real deal, but right now it's just impractical.
dronevil

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gruwel wrote:
Anyone have experience with Jet City Amplification? Doubting between the JCA22h and 50h for living room/bedroom-warriorism, home studio stuff and jams/rehearsals.

Tried a 20 and I liked it. I heard that they are quite close to the Soldano Hot Rod?

The 50 is really cheap on Thomann at the moment and I'm kind of tempted.

What's the price like on the Dunwich amps? They somehow reminds me Electric Amps which were basically $3000 Orange clones...
Orpheus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dronevil wrote:
Gruwel wrote:
Anyone have experience with Jet City Amplification? Doubting between the JCA22h and 50h for living room/bedroom-warriorism, home studio stuff and jams/rehearsals.

Tried a 20 and I liked it. I heard that they are quite close to the Soldano Hot Rod?

What's the price like on the Dunwich amps? They somehow reminds me Electric Amps which were basically $3000 Orange clones...

I heard on another forum that he charges between $1700-$2000, which is very reasonable. The parts to build a 100 watter cost about a grand or just under, if youre using the top-tier components.
Gruwel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dronevil wrote:
Gruwel wrote:

No clue about his amp prices. Fuzz pedal cost me $175 shipped which I think is pretty reasonable. And yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking too, 22h vs the 50h, only a 50 difference... Hm.

If you want a cheap amp in the states, maybe check out Hovercraft amps. That guy recycles old amp parts and turns them into pretty cool Orange/Sunn/etc clones. Most are around $650.
SerpentOfTheVoid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive my ignorance, but can anyone identify the black box in the picture?
eighthplague

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SerpentOfTheVoid wrote:

Forgive my ignorance, but can anyone identify the black box in the picture?

Is it some sort of direct input box?
norwegianhowlermonkey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone here have experience with the Boss ME-25?
Ihslahm

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not metal, but Kevin Shields got a pretty nice sound out of this little setup tonight http://guitarplayer.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/kevfx1.jpg
Devoured Death

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off topic, has anyone tried the Behringer TO100? I'm the first person to discourage the use of most of their stuff, but I recently saw one demonstrated and it actually sounded pretty good! I've even been told it's better in terms of sound (certainly not construction) to the original Tubescreamer. Any opinions?
fappen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tossing up between a 6534+ or an ENGL pre with a power amp. Can't decide, had an ADA MP-1 years ago which ruled.
Devoured Death

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fappen wrote:
Tossing up between a 6534+ or an ENGL pre with a power amp. Can't decide, had an ADA MP-1 years ago which ruled.

If you're only looking for distortion, I'd choose Peavey over Engl any day!
Orpheus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 6534 is the version with EL-34 power tubes, if that is what you want (its what I prefer personally) keep an eye out for a Marshall 9005 power amp. Its a dual mono block, 50watt per channel. I have one and I am very happy with it. Its fairly easy to mod and maintain, sounds good and is usually very cheap. Since its two identical channels, you can A/B test different brands of tube very easily.
Also, with a very minor mod you can put in a switch for it to accept 6L6 tubes as well, if that floats your boat. Many 6L6 amps cant be modded to handle EL-34s.
dronevil

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got 2 new preamps in the past months. A VHT/Fryette GP3 and a Verellen Meatsmoke. I'm now using both of them at the same time, with a blend of sub-octave signal and original guitar signal going into the Meatsmoke then into a bass cab (we don't have a live bassist). Lots of crushing low end yet the GP3 delivers enough mid/high definition so people can actually hear the riffs.

However the weight of the rack is getting out of hand, it weights more than 30kg now and is a bit of a pain to move around. Might have to resort to class D solid state power amp for gigging in the future and leave the Mesa at home for rehearsal/recording :-S.
Orpheus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks *really* fuckin sweet! What do you use to get your sub-octave?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: