P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

On the topic of INCANTATION......
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Descension

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: On the topic of INCANTATION...... Reply with quote

Why did this band never get any credit in the '90s and even now?

I remember thinking that Onward to Golgotha was the heaviest thing I had ever heard in high school.
holy ghost

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm almost entirely certain they get a lot of praise, then and now.....
valgalder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they're finally getting the credit.. but yeah.. nobody was into them really even into the 2000's.. glad people are finally coming around.. sad it had to happen after they stopped touring like maniacs. one of my favorite dm bands ever.
necrodeceitdoctrinator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too superior also at that time Wink
necrodeceitdoctrinator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

valgalder wrote:
I think they're finally getting the credit.. but yeah.. nobody was into them really even into the 2000's.. glad people are finally coming around.. sad it had to happen after they stopped touring like maniacs. one of my favorite dm bands ever.

same fucking situation for Immolation. Tons of killer albums but only now their are taking what they really deserve!

Last edited by necrodeceitdoctrinator on Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
captainretardo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember them ever not being well-received, but if you mean something like "why didn't they reach more people?" it's most likely because their music is so damned complex and challenging to listen to at first, and takes many listens to begin to digest. If you compare them to 'bigger' dm acts of the time, eg Grave, Entombed, Deicide, Morbid Angel, Bolt Thrower, etc etc etc, it's pretty easy to see how a dm fan could feel a resonance much more quickly with that type of dm than with Incantation. In other words, Incantation's dense sound, bizarre rhythm use, poor production etc likely did not make as many people become attached to them after just a casual listen. Even compared to other nydm bands, their music is very muddy and challenging to listen to. For example, compare them to Immolation: Immolation is downright catchy compared to Incantation, and I don't mean that is a derogatory manner, as I see the two bands as different sides of the same coin.

That being said, they're possibly the most-copied band dm act in history (especially in recent years), so I guess that counts for something.
Heliogabalus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

captainretardo wrote:
I can't remember them ever not being well-received, but if you mean something like "why didn't they reach more people?" it's most likely because their music is so damned complex and challenging to listen to at first, and takes many listens to begin to digest. If you compare them to 'bigger' dm acts of the time, eg Grave, Entombed, Deicide, Morbid Angel, Bolt Thrower, etc etc etc, it's pretty easy to see how a dm fan could feel a resonance much more quickly with that type of dm than with Incantation. In other words, Incantation's dense sound, bizarre rhythm use, poor production etc likely did not make as many people become attached to them after just a casual listen. Even compared to other nydm bands, their music is very muddy and challenging to listen to. For example, compare them to Immolation: Immolation is downright catchy compared to Incantation, and I don't mean that is a derogatory manner, as I see the two bands as different sides of the same coin.

That being said, they're possibly the most-copied band dm act in history (especially in recent years), so I guess that counts for something.

"Immolation is downright catchy compared to Incantation"
Are you sure it's not the other way around? Listen to Onward to Golgotha and then Dawn of Possession.
harmless

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on when you got into Death Metal basically. Incantation and Immolation are two of the bands that "disappeared" in a sea of better known bands. There was enough talk about them when I got into Death Metal in 1990 but they and bands like Monstrosity and Malevolent Creation didn't sell enough for the big labels to give a hoot about them and therefore didn't fly as high on the radar as we would have liked them to...
pastafarian

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incantation is kinda boring. They are pretty much a b or c tier death metal band, riding on the coattails of suffocation and morbid angel.
valgalder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are nothing like morbid angel or suffocation.
jv

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pastafarian wrote:
Incantation is kinda boring. They are pretty much a b or c tier death metal band, riding on the coattails of suffocation and morbid angel.

Hahaha what?
harmless

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jv wrote:
pastafarian wrote:

Hahaha what?
He means they benefited from the success of others.
Twilight Command

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pastafarian wrote:

Not to get all NK7 here, but when did you get into metal?

Incantation is one of those influential bands that may sound typical to new metalheads because of the sheer number of bands who adopted elements of their sound.
ADB

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were always well respected, but just ahead of their time
Morbid Obesity

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pastafarian wrote:

It's ok if you think they're boring but the b or c tier comment is ludicrous.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: