P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Things to do in DC...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lordoftherim

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Things to do in DC... Reply with quote

I will be in the Washington DC/Alexandria, VA area for the afternoon, aside from the extremely obvious tourist attractions, is there anyone familiar with this area that might have some insight on any must eat type places? Also potentially finding a cool used record shop that might be worth checking... Lastly of course any cool spots with nice selection of draft or cool ambiance/history could be cool as well.

Pretty typical stuff, just looking to get the best tastes of the city while here today. Any tips are appreciated!
astralvesl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No good record stores that I ever found.
Bars:
Churchkey - huge draft selection 100+, sample friendly
Black squirrel - Adams Morgan, very pricey just ok
Bier Baron - used to be brickskeller, huge selection, 1000+ bottles

Food:
Filomenas - fantastic Italian in Georgetown
Italian store - incredible subs, in Arlington though, well worth the trip
Rays hell burger - best burgers
Amsterdam falafel - Adams Morgan, great of you like that sorta thing
Murasaki - best sushi, tenleytown
Zorbas - decent Greek in DuPont
Tryst - hipster coffee shop, good sandwiches, pastries and drinks, Adams Morgan
Hogs on the hill - decent bbq, no really good q in dc though
lordoftherim

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks brother!! I will investigate that first bar, sounds pretty cool. As for hell burger, this sounds just like what the dr ordered. Always into the regional burger scene!

If there are alt suggestions beyond those listed above, please feel free to contribute!
blackarts

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joint Custody and Smash Records are probably your best bets when it comes to DC for record stores. Joint Custody is a bit cooler than Smash Records (in my opinion), but Smash is definitely still worth giving a look at. You'll mainly find hardcore stuff there. Joint Custody and Smash are right across the street from eachother.

If you're willing to make a 30 minute trip to Baltimore, I HIGHLY suggest you go to Black Mess records. Place rules. Awesome collection of black/death metal, new and used shit. Right down the street from Black Mess is Celebrated Summer Records, which has a great selection of metal/hardcore.

For food, not sure if you care about vegan food or not, but Everlasting Life Cafe is definitely the fucking best place I've ever eaten at in DC. 100% fucking delicious. In Baltimore, Land of Kush has a similar style of food (vegan soul food) and is also just as good.

I second astralvesl's recommendation for Amsterdam Falafel - awesome shit.

As for non-music/food stuff, you can always go and check out the museums. All that stuff can be fun.

Hope that helps.
Saevus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been to DC several times but pretty much exclusively spend all of my time in the National Gallery of Art and a few other places on the Mall. I actually prefer Baltimore as a city by quite a bit.
lordoftherim

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet! If I have time, I may very well swing up to Baltimore to check those shops. Sounds pretty rad, and I'm always out for used scores in particular

About Churchkey bar, how is parking down there? Depending how things pan out and the time I get to make it there I could be driving either a super compact Fiat, or else a super non compact work van. Hahahaha. Since its DC, I'm thinking parking may be slim and hard to come by in a full size van. Maybe not? Hopefully not.... Haha
blackarts

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parking is a bitch pretty much anywhere in DC. Fucking annoying. I can imagine you having a hard time with a van especially.
caligulasremains

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is nothing around here. grand belials key is based in oakton though. i always found that interesting. maybe you could go look them up ;]

12 years ago there was this punk record store in georgetown, it moved to adams morgan a few years later. i dont even remember the name of it.

Last edited by caligulasremains on Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total
kush_dad

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out Comet Pizza & Ping Pong, if you're into fancy pizza & ping pong. they have good beer on tap too
lordoftherim

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All important after thought.... Does Churchkey offer any sort of decent happy hour? Apologies for excessive dumb inquiries. Literally throwing a game plan together with the use of smart phone while in route to said location. Posting from behind the wheel Shocked Shocked
Saevus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For parking, my friends and I never bother trying. It looks like an absolute nightmare trying to just get a car into the city. We just park outside of the city, take the rail in and walk everywhere inside of the city.
Twilight Command

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't dismiss the touristy shit in DC. The Smithsonian is an invaluable public asset and it's worth your time to go to at least one of the museums if you're in town. It's free, to boot.

Since you'll be in Adams Morgan for Smash and Joint Custody anyway, I'll second the recommendation of Amsterdam Falafel. Everlasting is good, but it's not in the neighborhood. If falafel isn't your thing, Adams Morgan is glutted with Ethiopean joints. Close your eyes, stick out your finger, and turn around a few times. Go to whichever one you're pointing to.

Head to Sticky Fingers Bakery in Columbia Heights if you want desert.

Another non-Adams Morgan food recommendation is Mandu in Dupont Circle. Awesome Korean. Get the dduk bok gi.

Are you in town this afternoon? If so, don't bother heading up to Baltimore. Black Mess doesn't re-open until Wednesday.
lordoftherim

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posting from Ray's Hell Burger... Falafel sounds excellent, however the thought of a burger kinda tipped the scales for me (obviously no dietary restrictions here)

Only in Arlington and already traffic/drivers here are annoying as fuck. Might actually top SF in terms of road headaches. Parked now and already decided there is no chance in hell I'm going to try to drive into DC. Looks like it'll be all metro for me this afternoon ( if I can even find a spot I can pay out further than 2 hours....)

Thanks for the tip on black mess. I was actually thinking of heading up there too. This just saved me a lot of potential annoyance. Is celebrated summer worth the drive up otherwise?

REALLY wish I had my bike with me right now. It seems apparent bicycle is the absolute best means of transportation around here. Scooter could be cool, but you'd get too caught up in the traffic woes having to obey the law and all. No thanks!
blackarts

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Celebrated is worth a shot! Just depends on what you're into. They have a nice variety of metal/hardcore/punk/whatever. They don't really focus on one genre. The owner is also a cool dude.
GoldenBull

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a bike would be great but once you actually get into the city the Metro is pretty damn good. It isn't as widespread as NYC subways but it's one of the better metro systems I've ever used.

And yeah man fuck driving into DC. Last time I did that I sat outside of Arlington for about 3 hours during the morning rush. Fuck that noise.

Last edited by GoldenBull on Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: