P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Another 'what to do in NYC' thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katz deli is a must! I went there with 4 other people last year and had the pastrami. Delicious. Then we got a free show as a ten (?) Year old boy at the table next to us proceeded to suck on and eventually deep throat a single hot dog (no bun, just meat) for literally 10 minutes, then finished it up by going down on his fountain drink's straw.
It was unreal, I was actually starting to think we were on some stupid hidden camera show.

Laughing
pogr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blodhemn9 wrote:
Katz deli is a must! I went there with 4 other people last year and had the pastrami. Delicious. Then we got a free show as a ten (?) Year old boy at the table next to us proceeded to suck on and eventually deep throat a single hot dog (no bun, just meat) for literally 10 minutes, then finished it up by going down on his fountain drink's straw.
It was unreal, I was actually starting to think we were on some stupid hidden camera show.

Laughing

typical "deli-fan" behavior...
TeethofSkull

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I "third" Di Fara. So good. It really is it's own ting. Riding bikes from Manhattan to Coney might be a little much. I'd find someplace to rent them in Brooklyn, then bike out to Coney and go to Di Fara on the way.
harorld

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colt3ninja wrote:
How about good Thai food. Where in the city can I go for that?

I love this place so much. A lot of folks think its the best Thai food in the city:

http://www.sripraphairestaurant.com/

In woodside, queens. Super easy to get to, hop the 7 express, about 15-20 min from grand central

Also, Jackson Diner in Jackson heights queens is amazing Indian. Good lord is it good
Reaper's Grave

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No car is fine, as the subway is 24 hours and can get you at least a few blocks from just about everywhere, and anywhere worth visiting in the first place. Walking is a huge part of it too and much faster than the buses or taxis anyway.

The obvious touristy stuff is scattered anywhere you go, and plenty of sites can direct you based on your interests in this. Museums are plenty, and depends on a specific interest in them. However i think near Central park is the area with all of the biggest ones. Not sure what ones you're looking for but the city has a few passes for museums and tourist attractions available to people. Some offer line skipping privledges, some are just cheaper discounted entry for going to multiple attractions and often they have different levels either based on number of attractions visiting or days you're in the city.

Food is everywhere. Shitty cart food, Delis, $1 slices of authentic new york pizza, and of course fine dining anywhere you go and just about every chain food place thats on the east coast has a store somewhere in the city, if not multiple ones of course. I can't recommend much fine dining as i usually go there on a budget and stick with slice pizzas, buying produce and snacks from delis or corner stores, and the only restaurants i may visit is a nice little italian place on mulberry st (i believe it was, if not in that area) in little italy, but i have to find the name again, i just know it by location.

If you do intend to find cheap food (or want bottles of liquor) 8th avenue has all of this somewhere.

If you want to kvlt:
Cauchemar, Midnight, Satan's Satyrs, Natur is playing 285 Kent during the Saturday

Record stores i'm mostly familiar with the ones in Manhattan. Generation has a lot of the bigger releases and some new stuff. Their used selection isn't the best either but you might find something. My assumption is given the size of the city and its reputation its visited often enough that scores are less frequent. Prices are higher than just ordering from distros also. I almost never buy anything when in NYC record wise.

Bleeker Bobs is a couple blocks away. Mostly overpriced or not a lot of interest, but it has occasional things and locals tell me its the place they'll go when looking for random specific things they're willing to pay high prices for. The only thing i saw there was a $60 copy of Into the Pandemonium, but worth a look if you want to find non-metal stuff.

Bleeker st in general has about 3 or 4 stores, but i can't recall their names at all. I just walked into them. You might find something in these but its really hit or miss.

Thats all near greenwich village/chelsea/soho areas, which is also a pretty scenic shopping area any way to visit.

In Brooklyn i think there's Earwax Records and Heaven Street. A place called halycon as well i've heard of. I've never visited any of the stores though to really know if they're decent or not.

Most of my experience with the city is from walking around so i forgot a lot of names to cool shops and restaurants otherwise. I have read some tour guides for ideas but the last few times i've gone was specifically day/day and a half trips to the city for a show, so i have not explored a lot in the past year when i have gone other than foot trips to various places and my typical rounds to cheap pizza and shitty food joints
God Slayer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately the best record store for metal is Vintage Vinyl in NJ, and without a car that's basically shot. My suggestion is to do the touristy stuff. Go to the Metropolitan museum of art, the natural history museum, see the new freedom tower, the Empire State Building, and perhaps catch a comedy club or broadway play. You'll have a great time!
TeethofSkull

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuck the freedom tower. waste of time surrounded by CHUDS.
ZeWarden

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread makes me want to visit NYC now.
xxx

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nycbeer.org/bars.php
DESECRATOR777

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheap quality beer
mon thru fri 5 to 7 @ Rosemunde located on Bedford avenue between grand st and south 1st, Williamsburg bklyn. $1.00 pints of anchor steam, Rasputin Russian IPA.

Spumoni gardens in gravesend Brooklyn. Take N train to avenue x. Best Sicilian pizza ever.

Lenny's pizza on 20th avenue and 86street in Bensonhurst Brooklyn. Decent regular slices, famous for the Saturday night fever scene.

Jade island tiki bar in Staten Island, it's fucking really deep on the island but its one of the last of its kind. Strong drinks, Boyd rice eats when he is in town.

Staten Island ferry. Free ride, good selection of beers, nice views. Free.

Snug harbor on Staten Island, huge maritime museums, Chinese scholar garden, botanical gardens. Mostly all free. Ten minute bus ride from ferry terminal.

Plus all the Sri Lankan food on the north shore of Staten Island, new asha and dosa garden being the best.

AIGA gallery in manhattan on 5th avenue between 18 & 19 street. Good illustration shows usually.

Jimmy's bar on I think it's 46 street batwing 6th and 7th avenue. Old man ancient boxing bar with cheap Sam Adams considering location.

The drawing center in soho usually has great shows. It's been a while since I been but worth it. Also free.

The library bar is cool. On avenue A and Houston. Super sleazy.

To be honest all record shops in NYC pretty much suck. But you might get lucky at both academy records in Brooklyn and manhattan. And also other music has power electronics, plus tons of other progressive, experimental and sound tracks.

Odessa on avenue a for really great perogies. Late night dinner between east 7street and saint marks place in lower east side.

Kim's video on 1st avenue also good for obscure movies and noise and books.also on the lower east side.

And Coney Island of course great for every reason.

The pink pussycat strip joint is nice and bleak too. On rector street near the 1 train. The place is the last of its kind. Total taxi driver feel.

Also gallery row of course.

The Native American museum which is also free. Located near the Wall Street bull at the end of broadway. The 4 and 5 train to bowling green.

Only suggestions from native New Yorkers are real. Fuck the transplants.
Laughing
outlaw-recordings

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DESECRATOR777 wrote:

Only suggestions from native New Yorkers are real. Fuck the transplants.
Laughing

Well..... I am not a native but I lived there for a decade so I'll put in my two cents on this in a couple categories!

Record shopping: somebody else said it best, you're better off sitting at home buying records online before you go, but if you feel like flipping through some bins Academy is good, Heaven Street has a few things, and Bleeker Bobs is closed. Last time I went to NYC I bought zero records.

BBQ: I've eaten at that Fette Sau place once and it was alright but I fucking hate it on principal and their name is beyond queefy and you'll be surrounded by Williamsburgites, so I would not recommend it at all. I actually swore by Virgil's in Times Square, so if you do go up to see the bright lights- go by Virgils- it's killer. They have some plate you can get called the "Pig Out" or something that has like 4 or 5 kinds of meats on it- it's big enough for two people and it's KILLER. I worked at a BBQ joint in VA for about 10 years growing up so I've eaten my share... and I think that place is the best BBQ I ever found in NYC:

http://www.virgilsbbq.com/

Do NOT go to Dallas BBQ, it's a chain around NYC and it blows.

My favorite Thai is Amarin on Manhattan Ave in Greenpoint, but that might have just been because I lived near it for a long time. I wasn't a Thai food fanatic but that place seemed to do it right and they have an open kitchen which always makes me like them more.

And yes- I recommend a trip to Coney Island, it's a NYC landmark and Nathan's is great- though I'd eat a soft shelled crab sandwich if I was there!

Besides that I guess everyone else already covered all the bases and gave you a show report! Midnight is great live these days so go see them!
EARLGREYTEA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow good feedback from all ...
after reading all this I have come to the conclusion ... I need to get my ticket for Midnight at 285 Kent Cool
Family first but Blasphemy a close second...Good Deals with ApparitionOfferings,theBeast,bMz,BNB888,Doom-Mantia,funeralfog666,Gangraen,GhoulesDesCultes,Goab,Grell,gristle,ICP666,Iscariah,moonan,Penetration Hammer,PeterVenkman,ravn,Sv.,tehomapzu,13,vorfeed
robotdie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised no one has mentioned Lucky 13 Saloon, a bit out of the way but it has cheap beer, incredibly attractive Go-Go dancers/strippers, and stellar music. It's kind of out there and I went on a limb with my wife without really knowing too much about it, but you can imagine the shock/smiles on our face when we walked in to Death - Zombie Ritual blasting and an atmosphere filled with:

Valhalla Rising

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best BBQ in NYC: Dinosaur in Harlem (Brooklyn location opening soon)
or Wildwood BBQ on Park Ave South.

Good on the tip about Sri Pra Phi. Best Thai I have ever had, and totally worth the trip to Queens
BBQ Booking

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valhalla Rising wrote:
Best BBQ in NYC: Dinosaur in Harlem (Brooklyn location opening soon)

The Brooklyn one is open and I actually just went there recently. Way overrated (I got the rib meal with four sides) but the Wango Tango sauce is godly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: