P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

"Download to Purchase" Ratio
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vikare

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: "Download to Purchase" Ratio Reply with quote

So yesterday, I decided to rip all the CDs I own and download FLAC versions of the vinyl I own because quality over quantity. What it made me realise is how many average albums I tend to download, be that through collecting whole discographies or attaining recent albums that just don't have much of an edge, and as a result have only been played a couple of times.

Is everybody else in the same boat, with a external HD almost filled to the brim with mp3 files, some that you haven't even played before?
Steken

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: "Download to Purchase" Ratio Reply with quote

Vikare wrote:
So yesterday, I decided to rip all the CDs I own and download FLAC versions of the vinyl I own because quality over quantity. What it made me realise is how many average albums I tend to download, be that through collecting whole discographies or attaining recent albums that just don't have much of an edge, and as a result have only been played a couple of times.

Is everybody else in the same boat, with a external HD almost filled to the brim with mp3 files, some that you haven't even played before?

Not an "external HD almost filled to the brim", exactly, but I certainly have plenty of .FLAC's and .mp3's I haven't even heard yet. A ton of classical music, for example, which just kind of... Sits there.
Vikare

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: "Download to Purchase" Ratio Reply with quote

Steken wrote:
Not an "external HD almost filled to the brim", exactly...

Perhaps an exaggeration. I own a 500GB hard drive and of that, over 100GB of it is music. I own approx. 20% of what's on that. If it weren't for my monetary situation, I'd own much more -- plus due to bad investments in the past, I own some pretty shocking CDs, but refuse to dispose of them for the sake of pride (plus the booklets in HIM CDs are entertaining). Laughing

Returning to the original point, whilst I think downloading such a vast amount of music is counterproductive, I understand that many bands gain exposure through this process. Plus can the average metal fan *really* afford to keep up with new release when sometimes the only options for purchase are a kvlt limited to 22 goatblood tape press, or a caramel/green splatter vinyl priced at $50?

Last edited by Vikare on Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dodens Grav

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped illegally downloading about a decade ago, but I know for a fact that I never listened to a majority of what I actually downloaded. Part of the reason that I stopped bothering with doing it, really. I do like to listen to mp3s of albums that I own for the convenience factor, though.
holy ghost

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the past I downloaded stuff to test it out, and I'd either buy it or delete it after a few listens. Now that I have a phone with unlimited data I just stream the preview stuff to decide, or most of the time just figure by the band/cover/description if I'm going to like the record or not......

I'll still download the fuck out of anything I have on vinyl, I don't have time to sit around and listen to everything on my turntable. I need that shit on my android mobile device for my hip "on the go" lifestyle. Cool Razz
Wilding

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years back I made the decision that I wasn't going to download anything that wasn't unobtainable or that I didn't already own a hard copy of, and I've stuck to my guns pretty well. It doesn't hurt that so many of the blogs have been shut down, so there isn't as much temptation. I'm currently computerless but I have about 30-50 gigs of mp3's in my dropbox and on my girlfriends laptop. More than half of my digital library is ripped cds, the rest is out of print/live/demo material . Obviously, Spotify is kind of a major loophole here.
_Lohmarizer_

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A clear Ratio for me

Download 0%

Purchase 100%
Numerator41

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's still in print, or available for a reasonable price used, I'll purchase it. I download stuff like demos or hard to find/expensive stuff.
Nanking

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Numerator41 wrote:
If it's still in print, or available for a reasonable price used, I'll purchase it. I download stuff like demos or hard to find/expensive stuff.

This. Downloading was nice to discover preference, but staying on top of things and buying shit you desire never fails. If you buy a cool looking LP upon release that you turn out not to like you can easily trade it and if you're not even that lucky as time goes by the value of the release you regret buying will probably go up.
abbottur

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Numerator41 wrote:

Same here. I'd say about 99% of what I have digitally is rips of CDs or downloads of cassettes that I physically own.
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I download a lot. I like to listen to everything ...simply realistically cannot afford to buy everything. Thats just reality.

However I do manage to buy a fair amount of albums since it is by and large the most significant interest I do have when it comes to disposable income choices.

As ridiculous as it sounds, and I scoff at it too... sometimes packaging wins the day for an album.
I won't pretend to be some elitist where some bands are more worthy, there are many great albums, so there has to be a method to which wins purchase... and when the music is often on par, it comes down to either availability or packaging aesthetics.

Downloading is cheaper though. Plus if the album sucks there is the absence of anger felt if having bought the slab of crap. Wink
Saltrubbed Eyes

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to try before I buy Cool
xyosefx

Location: We lived among the people. I think you say, convenience store. We lived above it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

_Lohmarizer_ wrote:
A clear Ratio for me

Download 0%

Purchase 100%

Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
little_raven

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have most of the mp3s I've downloaded for almost a decade (128 kbps ftw!), I still download some stuff in the weekends but I listen to like half of it Laughing Still better than the whole "full albums on youtube" thingie I guess.

I buy like 20% of the (obtainable) music I like, especially if it's on kvltsette. Not being a vinyl maniac helps my finances a lot too.
siegeresist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

_Lohmarizer_ wrote:
A clear Ratio for me

Download 0%

Purchase 100%

Exclamation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: