P R O D U C T I O N S
 
 FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 
 Profile 
 Log in to check your private messages 
 Log in 

recommend a guitar practice amp (in the UK)

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
weaklingone



Joined: 05 Aug 2009
Posts: 1283
Location: UK

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: recommend a guitar practice amp (in the UK) Reply with quote

found out that I'll be in the UK for the next 3 years, so I am looking to get a decent practice amp. Not more than 15-20 watts, and something that has a thick distorted channel (so I don't have to buy a distortion pedal) and that hopefully isn't crazy overpriced. I used to have a peavy practice amp that sounded decent (for what it was of course, a 15 watt amp will never sound good), but I can't recall the model.

Also, I am wondering if its cheaper to buy stuff online or to go to a music shop.

Found a Fender Mustang for 119, which was somewhat acceptable sounding, but I am wondering if I can get more bang for my buck.

Thanks in advance.
_________________
Wants/Trades: http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=275935#275935
Good Traders: Golden Bull, Jalmym203, Kakarot SS5 (Sale), Mangled Torsos (Sale), bc, blashyrkh66, Hobophobic (Multiple), dangerass, thevampirictyrant
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Prophet Muhammad



Joined: 31 Jul 2012
Posts: 481
Location: Edmonton, AB

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there guitar stores there? I picture the area as a desolate wasteland with nowhere to try amps in stores.. You should go find one and figure out which one you like.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
weaklingone



Joined: 05 Aug 2009
Posts: 1283
Location: UK

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Prophet Muhammad wrote:
Are there guitar stores there? I picture the area as a desolate wasteland with nowhere to try amps in stores.. You should go find one and figure out which one you like.


yeah just did that today, there are few music stores. I think the one I went to was apparently where Pink Floyd bought their first guitars/instruments, haha. I am really just wondering if it's cheaper to get them online, or whether its worth looking for a better one as the store I went to had a limited selection.
_________________
Wants/Trades: http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=275935#275935
Good Traders: Golden Bull, Jalmym203, Kakarot SS5 (Sale), Mangled Torsos (Sale), bc, blashyrkh66, Hobophobic (Multiple), dangerass, thevampirictyrant
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zodijackyl



Joined: 16 Jan 2012
Posts: 31

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can get to any stores with used gear, you can probably find a Peavey Bandit 112. They also record and mix particularly well for an amp of that size.

Roland Cubes are good for new ones, but the prices on them seem to have gone up recently. Avoid anything made by Fender if you're looking to not need a distortion pedal.

weaklingone wrote:
I am really just wondering if it's cheaper to get them online, or whether its worth looking for a better one as the store I went to had a limited selection.


The best deals would likely be used gear in a store, and there shouldn't be a shortage of practice amps. New, you're probably looking at the same price online as in a cheaper store, or a bit of a markup in a store. I'm not familiar with this for the UK but I assume it's a bit less megastore-friendly than the US.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
boogs



Joined: 18 Nov 2010
Posts: 369
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a Pod or some other preamp with a direct out, that way you can also do some recording on the fly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
The Prophet Muhammad



Joined: 31 Jul 2012
Posts: 481
Location: Edmonton, AB

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

weaklingone wrote:
The Prophet Muhammad wrote:
Are there guitar stores there? I picture the area as a desolate wasteland with nowhere to try amps in stores.. You should go find one and figure out which one you like.


yeah just did that today, there are few music stores. I think the one I went to was apparently where Pink Floyd bought their first guitars/instruments, haha. I am really just wondering if it's cheaper to get them online, or whether its worth looking for a better one as the store I went to had a limited selection.

It depends, really. On what, who knows.. If you go into a store you can try every amp you're interested in, then dip out and buy it online if its cheaper. Nobody else's recommendation will serve you well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
weaklingone



Joined: 05 Aug 2009
Posts: 1283
Location: UK

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zodijackyl wrote:
If you can get to any stores with used gear, you can probably find a Peavey Bandit 112. They also record and mix particularly well for an amp of that size.

Roland Cubes are good for new ones, but the prices on them seem to have gone up recently. Avoid anything made by Fender if you're looking to not need a distortion pedal.

weaklingone wrote:
I am really just wondering if it's cheaper to get them online, or whether its worth looking for a better one as the store I went to had a limited selection.


The best deals would likely be used gear in a store, and there shouldn't be a shortage of practice amps. New, you're probably looking at the same price online as in a cheaper store, or a bit of a markup in a store. I'm not familiar with this for the UK but I assume it's a bit less megastore-friendly than the US.


Cool thanks a lot for the tips, mega-stores in the US suck massively. I never met one person working at Guitar Center that wasn't a total fuckhead selling wildly overpriced merchandise.

Good call on trying to find a used gear store, I hope there is one in Cambridge. There aren't many options here I'm afraid.
_________________
Wants/Trades: http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=275935#275935
Good Traders: Golden Bull, Jalmym203, Kakarot SS5 (Sale), Mangled Torsos (Sale), bc, blashyrkh66, Hobophobic (Multiple), dangerass, thevampirictyrant
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Orpheus



Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 739
Location: Toronto

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buying music equipment in the UK is not a good time...I remember reading ads in british guitar magazines ..."Les Paul Standard 1899" at a time when in canada you could get one for $2000 and the exchange rate was 2:1.

Anyway, what I would reccommend is purchasing a guitar preamp, like a ADA MP-1, a Marshall JMP, ENGL e 530 etc... Then you can plug it into your stereo, use headphones, plug into another amplifier, whatevers at hand. Most of the tone in metal guitar is in the preamp anyway, the rest of it is just details.
Alternatively, Orange started this trend of "lunchbox" amps which are miniature all tube heads at around 15watts. People like them for what they are, and they are popular in england.
If you cant tell, my philosophy is to not buy anything unless I intend to use it and keep it for a long time. Yours may differ.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dronevil



Joined: 25 May 2007
Posts: 1740
Location: New Zealand

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peavey Vypyr is kinda like the Mustang but works better for metal.
_________________
Taphephobia Productions
Mosquito Control
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Orpheus



Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 739
Location: Toronto

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is peavey stuff even available in the UK? I cant see them shipping cheapy practice gear over there with all the import duties.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dronevil



Joined: 25 May 2007
Posts: 1740
Location: New Zealand

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thomann.de/gb/peavey_vypyr_30.htm
Seems like they do...
_________________
Taphephobia Productions
Mosquito Control
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
weaklingone



Joined: 05 Aug 2009
Posts: 1283
Location: UK

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ended up ordering the Vypyr 15 for 100 off amazon. Might have been able to find it cheaper, but not a bad price considering it will be delivered to my door.

Thanks a lot for all the advice.
_________________
Wants/Trades: http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=275935#275935
Good Traders: Golden Bull, Jalmym203, Kakarot SS5 (Sale), Mangled Torsos (Sale), bc, blashyrkh66, Hobophobic (Multiple), dangerass, thevampirictyrant
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bestial Aggressor



Joined: 25 Jul 2007
Posts: 619

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best thing I've bought for practicing is a Line 6 Floor pod. You can link it up to a stereo amp and speakers, plug in an ipod to jam along to stuff, and create a limited variety of sounds with it. Very handy piece of kit. Paid 70 for mine 2nd hand. Not really suitable for rehearsals though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group