P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Samael Ceremony Of Opposites Lp question?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weltbrand

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N. wrote:
are you guys really so hung up on the covers? With Samael reissues, I didn't even notice much of a difference in cover art, as I was more focused on the music. Should we shell out the big bucks just for a better cover?

I know what you're saying, but I think if a label is going to charge $25+ for a new LP they should make it not look like shit.
Ecstatic_Horror

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N. wrote:
I have the CM versions of Blood Ritual and Ceremony of Opposites, and at least the sound quality is great to my ears, so no problem there. The "From the vault" thing is a bit annoying, but otherwise no complaints.

The sound quality was the most important part. That is what I was most curious about
Black Mass Ritual
banned

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

s.charlach wrote:
caligulasremains wrote:
i'm going to get [...] the blood ritual cm whenever hhr restocks it. [...] for me, it's not worth paying twice the amount just to get a slightly larger cover artwork. and even the first press century media versionof blood ritual had a border around the front cover...

The real problem with both the Floga Records as well as Century Media's Vault Series reissues of "Blood Ritual" is not about some stupid-looking border but the use of this overly photoshopped revised cover art that thoroughly deprives the great detail, depth and luminosity of Hermann's original drawing. That being said it's not a question of paying "twice the amount just to get a slightly larger cover artwork" rather than digging a bit deeper in one's pocket to get an original copy of "Blood Ritual" in all its sinister glory. Both reissues are nothing but atrocious, that's what they are.

Not everyone can afford first presses okay Mr. Moneybags. The Floga reissues are not that bad.
GoldenBull

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N. wrote:
GoldenBull wrote:
s.charlach wrote:
caligulasremains wrote:
i'm going to get [...] the blood ritual cm whenever hhr restocks it. [...] for me, it's not worth paying twice the amount just to get a slightly larger cover artwork. and even the first press century media versionof blood ritual had a border around the front cover...

The real problem with both the Floga Records as well as Century Media's Vault Series reissues of "Blood Ritual" is not about some stupid-looking border but the use of this overly photoshopped revised cover art that thoroughly deprives the great detail, depth and luminosity of Hermann's original drawing. That being said it's not a question of paying "twice the amount just to get a slightly larger cover artwork" rather than digging a bit deeper in one's pocket to get an original copy of "Blood Ritual" in all its sinister glory. Both reissues are nothing but atrocious, that's what they are.

You're dead right as always, Steffen. I had the Floga versions of Blood Ritual and Ceremonies for about a week and ditched them. The art simply looks like shit. The digital effect is almost as obnoxious as a certain few Necromantia reissues.

The covers of the Necromantia reissues are bullshit, but are you guys really so hung up on the covers? With Samael reissues, I didn't even notice much of a difference in cover art, as I was more focused on the music. Should we shell out the big bucks just for a better cover? I had a Venom - At War With Satan original lp, and the whole cover was ripped to crap due to water spills, but I still spun it hehe.

I would rather have that shredded Venom LP than a new one with reworked computer art.

For me the question is: should I bother shelling out the cash for a reissue on vinyl when it lacks either the sound or the aesthetic that makes it a classic? Reissues are fine by me, but when the art is redone there is no motivation on my part to bother with vinyl. Take the Demigod "Slumber" reissue-the art is changed in a way that to me seems drastic. Sure, some don't care, and that's okay. But these things just irritate me.

I bought the Floga version of Samael albums because I wanted something better than my old CDs. But when they showed up on my doorstep I immediately realized I was happier with an "inferior" format because my CDs have the art that I identify with these albums. Perhaps I'm too picky?

And for the other commenter, I can't speak for Herr Charlach but for me there is no such thing as "only those who can afford original LPs are true.". For me personally, an original CD, which is generally not too expensive, is 100x better than a digitized reissue cover.
Ecstatic_Horror

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picky is never a bad thing. I have the Blood Ritual reissue on Floga and I think it was nicely put together. The artwork looks good too. Maybe I'm blind.
I was mauling over the reissue of Ceremony on CM and I thought those borders can tend to look quite annoying. Ultimately it comes down to sound, if it's going to be a cheap representation then the hope is the sound will at least by dynamic enough to override its rather pixelated cover.
N.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoldenBull wrote:
N. wrote:
GoldenBull wrote:
s.charlach wrote:
caligulasremains wrote:

You're dead right as always, Steffen. I had the Floga versions of Blood Ritual and Ceremonies for about a week and ditched them. The art simply looks like shit. The digital effect is almost as obnoxious as a certain few Necromantia reissues.

The covers of the Necromantia reissues are bullshit, but are you guys really so hung up on the covers? With Samael reissues, I didn't even notice much of a difference in cover art, as I was more focused on the music. Should we shell out the big bucks just for a better cover? I had a Venom - At War With Satan original lp, and the whole cover was ripped to crap due to water spills, but I still spun it hehe.

For me the question is: should I bother shelling out the cash for a reissue on vinyl when it lacks either the sound or the aesthetic that makes it a classic? Reissues are fine by me, but when the art is redone there is no motivation on my part to bother with vinyl. Take the Demigod "Slumber" reissue-the art is changed in a way that to me seems drastic. Sure, some don't care, and that's okay. But these things just irritate me.

I bought the Floga version of Samael albums because I wanted something better than my old CDs. But when they showed up on my doorstep I immediately realized I was happier with an "inferior" format because my CDs have the art that I identify with these albums. Perhaps I'm too picky?

That's all fine mister Goldenbull...I suppose I'm just not the picky type. All I've cared about lately is that the vinyls sound good. But to be honest, when I pick up a record to play, I don't sit there and scrutinize the artwork, but rather I just throw it on the turntable. I like good artwork as much as the next guy, but for me it's not the most important thing when it comes to records.

- E. M. Cioran
s.charlach

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surely not going to argue with anyone over his preferences, and if you guys don't care that much for cover art, well, then so be it. As for my part, I cherish it to get fully immersed in an album by reading the lyrics along or trying to find cross references that are woven in the artwork while listening to the music wherefore I have a knack for layouts as kind of an additional semantic level next to the lyrics and music, and this is also the very reason why drastic changes like in this case are not only a real deal breaker for me, they kind of give the impression that the involved parties have no sense for aesthetics at all. I mean, it's not like we're talking about some daubing or a woodcut / engraving that has been lifted for the umpteenth time, "Blood Ritual" is a classic with an iconic, a vivid and talking cover art originally while the digitally revised version for the various reissues since 2004 is just sterile, missing any of the original depth and mood.

I'm definitely with Mike on this matter, and I settle for a CD version in order to have an inherently consistent release rather than buying classic albums reissued with foozled layout just for the sake of having them on vinyl. Well, and he also made a good point mentioning the value of a distinctive design. I mean, I grew up with "Blood Ritual" which surely added to my total irritation when I first saw this revised crap as it was literally one of those "Oh no, they didn't, now did they?!-moments", and I doubt I would have bought the record based on such a cover, which I mostly did in my teen years, back then. Then again, if you guys are used to the new version, it probably doesn't strike you as off as it does for me.

Still, please have a look and tell me that the differences weren't that big again?! It actually is like a different cover, an amateurish take on the original painting, and I think I can say that objectively.

Loki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those interested in Floga, we've still few copies of their first press, if you're "reliable" here we can send packages in USA and Canada for about 10 euro, drop me a line in case, don't buy from our eshop.
https://twitter.com/OrdoMCM
http://ordomcm.bandcamp.com/
caligulasremains

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm just going to print out the first press cover in high res and glue it onto the jacket. win/win.
throneofmight

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoldenBull wrote:
N. wrote:
GoldenBull wrote:
s.charlach wrote:
caligulasremains wrote:

I would rather have that shredded Venom LP than a new one with reworked computer art.

And for the other commenter, I can't speak for Herr Charlach but for me there is no such thing as "only those who can afford original LPs are true.". For me personally, an original CD, which is generally not too expensive, is 100x better than a digitized reissue cover.

amen!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
satanic ritual abuse

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't even realized the difference until I put the old CD next to the Floga LP, you bastards!

Last edited by satanic ritual abuse on Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Guido

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Steffen, the reissue cover is TOTALY ugly. There is a blur effect we cannot see on computer but you can see well when you have in hands the LP. Moreover, the horrible logo + title font are the cherry on the cake!
throneofmight

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guido wrote:
I agree with Steffen, the reissue cover is TOTALY ugly. There is a blur effect we cannot see on computer but you can see well when you have in hands the LP. Moreover, the horrible logo + title font are the cherry on the cake!

the font irritates me, seems like it was taken from one my daughter's cereal box. Mad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SoundsOfDecay

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That reissue cover is terrible compared to the original one
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just the Blood Ritual cover they fucked with, no? I'm at work can't compare my Floga Ceremony LP with my original CD at the moment.

Last edited by blodhemn9 on Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: