P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Starting to find it impossible these days?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GhoulesDesCultes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:13 am    Post subject: Starting to find it impossible these days? Reply with quote

I'm sure I'm not they only one that's finding it harder and harder to buy vinyl these days, with labels increasing their prices and postage rates going up often.

Do you feel that buying discs and tapes is the way to go, because vinyls are becoming no longer affordable?
lifeless

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the exchange rate from Canada/US is making it extremely hard to purchase now for me, but if I really want something, I'll get it
I don't need a constant stream of vinyl, so I'm ok just picking and choose true kvlts

otherwise, tape or digital (bandcamp, etc)
Attic Snake

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find what makes it hard is having to order overseas to get releases that I can't find here. You almost have to order more than you set out to justify the shipping costs. But yeah when a record a year a go was $15 is now $17 or up to $25 plus shipping and tax it can be a monetary drain.

As far as tapes and CD's go I will order tapes because usually it's a demo of a band I haven't heard and it doesn't cost much. Or again a release that on vinyl is oop/expensive so price is definitely a point in tapes. CD's on the other hand I don't like to buy at all. In the past few years I've bought 2. Mostly because as a teen I bought so many and saw them get destroyed or lost. I just see them as worthless. They are too fragile.

"Boss Metalzone sucks dicks. It makes femmy noises and it sounds like a weak nerd with glasses limping to the pharmacy to buy allergy pills."
Grief

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think in general things are better now than they have ever been. International distribution seems better than before, "big" releases are pressed in bigger qtys and repressed more quickly. So I have little problem and even a little less urgency to get the things I want.

But that's my perspective as someone in usa, who also has become a little less obsessive collector and much more music fan.

http://www.discogs.com/seller/Grief_Foundation
Crasse

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shipping rates are going full retard mode. And not only for LPs. That "estimate shipping" tool from the NWN store says shipping a single tape to Europe is 20.41$.
Same for the EU countries. If you buy a single tape from Van records you have to pay 9,90 for the shipping which is like double the price of the tape.

Last edited by Crasse on Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been griping about this very subject over a few years now... however I am more willing to even take the argument of whats happening a step further, which delves into economics and the global state of this world we all inhabit.

I really feel and think there is a 'push' ...and a very real agenda to start the demise of most physical production objects, especially anything that can simply still spread digitally.
Look at the state of the magazine and book market. Books are still strong for now, or maybe not... but certainly a lot of magazines have fallen to the side. The expense of printing anything is going to continuously raise costs until it all slowly is unable to continue, thats my theory.

Too much competition for the same raw resources. Metal music and vinyl and printed materials is going to suffer for it.

There is no fucking way a $17 record costs $17 to ship... or there shouldn't be any way. However it keeps climbing and climbing... so yea, I think eventually something has to give... and what that is going to be first is the customer(s) and their eventual inability to maintain buying the stream of releases.

The push for the digital era is only going to get stronger... tablets for novels and reading... ipods for the music.

The inevitable future really... and I no longer care a whole lot. Have more albums than any mortal really needs already, so fuck it. Whatever.
Hellstrike

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not impossible, but vinyls are getting more and more expensive these days. The current economic situation may be one of the reasons. I buy CDs and tapes as well, but vinyl fits perfectly to this kind of music, most of the time. At least that is my point of view.
In the past few months/years, many great bands released new albums/eps etc., which is too much for a smaller purse. On the other hand, many shit gets released on vinyl and is mostly quite overpriced.
lifeless

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shipping rates are really weird and erratic all over the place
shipping for 1 7" from Seance Records (Australia) was $1.50, whereas shipping for one 7" from the country directly south of me (USA) could be $10
holy ghost

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lifeless wrote:
the exchange rate from Canada/US is making it extremely hard to purchase now for me, but if I really want something, I'll get it

The shit dollar coupled with the shit shipping rates (except HHR) are making it really tough for ordering. It's not terrible for larger orders, ie like 5-6 LPs from HHR with DHL works out to about $100, but for smaller orders, ie, a demo or two, it's usually more to ship it than the cost of the actual item.

Fortunately, I'm a fuckin' baller so whatever, I can still afford to pick up records if I really want them, but it does make me think more critically (ie: is this record worth the potential $34 it's going to cost me?)....
Weltering in Blood

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the rate of stuff coming out that is killing me. Can't keep up.
Vapula

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dollar has been raping the Euro over the last few weeks, I couldn't believe the price in euro when I went to pay for something from the US the other day.
Attic Snake

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weltering in Blood wrote:
It's the rate of stuff coming out that is killing me. Can't keep up.

That and being poor is the killer for me.

"Boss Metalzone sucks dicks. It makes femmy noises and it sounds like a weak nerd with glasses limping to the pharmacy to buy allergy pills."
lifeless

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the real problem here is lack of quality black metal LPs in the columbia house catalog
sure I appreciate 1 cent albums, but a man can order only so many copies of Extreme - III Sides to Every Story on CD
Carlzilla

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vinyl is unnecessary for me. If something is on vinyl and at a decent price, I'll buy it...but if given the choice between the CD, the vinyl, or the tape, I'll probably grab the tape or the CD every time...the only real exception are things that come out on vinyl months and months before the CD or tape versions. I'll usually grab vinyl if it's the only option.

And now we have fags complaining about other fags. A "fagoboros" if you will.

http://www.last.fm/user/carlzilla
Attic Snake

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lifeless wrote:
the real problem here is lack of quality black metal LPs in the columbia house catalog
sure I appreciate 1 cent albums, but a man can order only so many copies of Extreme - III Sides to Every Story on CD

Ha!!! In my formative years I got a shit ton of stuff from there and BMG. If I looked now though I don't think I'd really find much of anything.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: