P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

masked/faceless bands
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Valhalla Rising

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:23 am    Post subject: masked/faceless bands Reply with quote

I am beginning to be intrigued by the intention of bands that obscure their faces wile performing. For bands like MGLA, Portal, Midnight or Cult of Fire, I think they all have different reasons for playing in this manner. When I am seeing these bands, I wonder how much more difficult (especially for drummers) it is to play so encumbered. Is this extra obstacle a benefit for them or a barrier? Is the mask just for the audience?

Frankly, I thohght Portal was a bit boring when I saw them, but both MGLA and Cult of Fire gained some mystery in a live setting. I like the anonymity or archetypal quality they brought, even though in both cases it bordered on a gimmick.

What are you thoughts?
Philemon Siclone

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a way, wheter one shows his face or not today, everyone is faceless, as everything is becoming more and more generic, except for the very big old bands, and these icons will be removed in time. So I have no further thoughts on playing masked or unmasked. It makes no difference to me.
leewar
banned

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its the new trend, already done to death and boring.
HvS

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that Black Metal should be faceless/anonymous as too many musicians clearly push their person in the foreground. Its not about them but about the art/music.

But yeah the effect can also backfire when a band gets attention just because of the outfits..
Dalihrob

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trend or not it is still better than a silly-looking warpaint.
holy ghost

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HvS wrote:
But yeah the effect can also backfire when a band gets attention just because of the outfits..

I think this is the unfortunate outcome of Portal. I still feel they have created some of the most immense, incredible death metal and all you ever hear is "LOL they wear a pointy hat!!" which is obviously not the intended outcome.....
Attic Snake

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dalihrob wrote:
Trend or not it is still better than a silly-looking warpaint.

Bands being anonymous is the new Corpsepaint. Under the guise of anonymity they stir up talk amongst the kvlt of who they might be. From Dragged Into Sunlight to Sect PIg these masked, faceless, or anonymous bands (like Swarϸ) almost bring more attention to themselves because of this. But like corpsepaint or ripping off the way Blasph... err I mean Sarcofago dress it'll become cliche overtime. It'll come full circle when the guy from Deafheaven does this and makes an anonymous post-black metal inspired techno band where he doesa interviews about how gay he is.
Mocata

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they're all just Slipknot fans.
Urfe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I think this is the unfortunate outcome of Portal. I still feel they have created some of the most immense, incredible death metal and all you ever hear is "LOL they wear a pointy hat!!" which is obviously not the intended outcome...."

The last few times i have seen them, i've overheard a few people be like that. Saying that they have never really listened to them and have only heard about them due their costumes etc.
holy ghost

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess pre internet it was just a little easier to be anonymous. This is just a natural progression. And doesn't involve wearing makeup (wtf GAY Shocked )
Kapalika

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the Portal comment/observation:

A band is hardly responsible for the mongoloid retardation of its "fans" Iīd say.
EARLGREYTEA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mocata wrote:
I think they're all just Slipknot fans.

ApparitionOfferings,theBeast,bMz,bitewerks,BNB888,DoomMantia,funeralfog666,Gangraen,GhoulesDesCultes,Goab,Grell,gristle,ICP666,Iscariah,moonan,PenetrationHammer,PeterVenkman,ravn,Sv,svartseidr,tehomapzu,13,vorfeed
ChrisWitchhammer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's become a trend to be masked and anonymous since that G band that must not be named got popular, but I quite like the concept. It takes away from the actual members to concentrate more on the band as an entity. I prefer that to bands who's members act like rock stars.

https://www.facebook.com/HexenHammerArt
Tobias

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it makes perfect sense for bands that are trying to create an otherworldly sound/experience. Why would they want to bog that down with their everyday personas? I think its weird that it would ruffle so many peoples feathers.
N.W.D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, bands that obscure their faces/identity simply wish to remove the aspect of individual personality/identity so that the music becomes the sole focus. Doesn't even have to be something worn, obscured lighting such as what Grave Upheaval utilise achieves the same thing.

If anything, masks/cloaks/portal garb are probably used to help the musician achieve whatever state of mind they're after much the same as incense, bone altars, corpsepaint and other props.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: