P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

PC Technical question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
headnhalf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: PC Technical question Reply with quote

Just a quick question to anyones who's a bit more technically minded than me, I'm trying to rip CD's to my Itunes so I can listen to some new things on the way to work. My CD drive seems to be having a problem ripping 'older' CD's specifically Mourning and Ever Dark, it's not anything to do with the discs themselves as they play perfectly on my CD player. It seems to be ripping half of the first few tracks for example a 6 minute track will only be 3 minutes and then freezing as it gets to the mid point of albums.

So basically what I'm asking is it time for me to get a new CD drive or is there anything that can be done to speed up itunes and make it work.

Thanks for any help that you can give.
Great trades with: Vorfeed, Kakarot SS5, GoldenBull, Rat eyes, Caina, Blekt, Uncoloured, Cursed Blood, Minge Eater, Portentum, Addison nektostiknekromessikk and Asphyxiation anyone i've forgotten give me a shout
Black_Fire

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isnt your cd's scratched ?
www.doomzine.bandcamp.com
headnhalf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, not a single mark.

I think it's my cd drive as it refuses to open half the time and won't read the new style carbon discs.

I just want to make sure it's not something that I can fix before forking out for a new drive.
Great trades with: Vorfeed, Kakarot SS5, GoldenBull, Rat eyes, Caina, Blekt, Uncoloured, Cursed Blood, Minge Eater, Portentum, Addison nektostiknekromessikk and Asphyxiation anyone i've forgotten give me a shout
Pestkrieg

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not going to aid your problem, but I bought at great LG CD/DVD rewriter for only 30 from PC World, so the cost of replacing the drive isn't at all high. Plus installing the new one yourself is dead easy.
headnhalf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^

I think I'm going to have to do that as it's really starting to fuck me off.

Does anyone know if the drive has any effect on how fast something rips as at the moment things only seem to be ripping at the most 3x so it's taking at least 10 minutes to rip a CD which can't be right?
shit-faced

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm not an expert, but if it happens only with some CDs (or are the others just shorter??) i would not blame the drive too fast...

about the ripping speed: i think it can depend on the quality of your drive, but i think most of the ripping programs use a quite slow speed because the possibility of reading errors is much lower...
headnhalf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It only seems to happen with certain CD's, for example I was trying to rip the Mourning CD and it ripped half of track 1 then moved onto track 2 ripped 30 seconds then got about a minute into track 3 before completly freezing everything including firefox, it was only remedied by opening the CD drive
shit-faced

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe you should try it with another ripping software, then you can see if the same things happen with that.
vorfeed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

headnhalf wrote:
got about a minute into track 3 before completly freezing everything including firefox, it was only remedied by opening the CD drive

Sometimes if the drive is having trouble with ripping one particular CD, it helps to burn a copy of it (assuming you have a CD burner) and then rip from the copy. Most CD burning software is a lot better at error correction than iTunes is.

That said, it sounds to me like it's probably time for a new drive...
Infernal-Regions

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

before your throw it on the garbage: Try to make a firmware update. Check the website of your cd-drive manufacturer to get more info. Google will show you "how to do's"...

You need: Exact model-no. of your drive and maybe the revision-no.

firmware= build-in "Software" of your cd-drv.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help, ripping things in media player and then adding it in Itunes seems to work fine, I'll probably end up getting a new Cd drive soon as this current one is an arsehole.
BlackMinion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could just download the cds and add them to itunes manually

Trade- CHRISTS_DARK_KINGDOM
throneofmight

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the firmware update suggestion above might fix the problem
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
minge-eater

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuck pc world , if your gonna buy a new drive, go to svp.co.uk , you can pick up nice pioneer burners for 18

TRUE KVNT
Descension twat of the year
CR99

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate PCs . When playing Doom or else my laptop has the ability to make a tinnitus sound while running the program constantly on choppy bullet time rip off , randomly
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: