P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Hidden Gems in otherwise shitty label's back catalog
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Professor Black

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Nifelheim albums on Necropolis

"Fearless Undead Machines" and "Tales From the 1000 Lakes" on Relapse

"Bonded By Blood" on Torrid

"Master of Brutality" on Southern Lord
NWN PROD

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Their best stuff for me was Blood Feast, obviously, but the hidden gem is The Unsane's "Inverted Crosses" EP. I love the hell out of that. Dirty, evil-sounding, highly energetic, underground thrash.

I totally agree on this one. I was playing my picture disk yesterday.

Asunder is great but that was a one off release and not an exclusive release on NWN. I'm curious to know what sort of stuff you're into if you don't like Mystifier.

Web: nwnprod.com

NWN carries all IBP releases.
IBP carries all NWN releases.

dalecooper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

s.charlach wrote:

Well, basically I was trying to go along with your first assumption, nevertheless the fact that I had a very hard time to get into "Works Will Come Undone" when giving it a listen for the first times considering the seductive effect of the debut full length. I don't know, the recent NWN! releases are just not my cup of tea and honestly sometimes I'm just wondering 'bout where all the thoroughly supporting praise comes out of nowhere. I mean, no offense to anybody right on here as I don't doubt your enthusiasm for sure, but where have you been the years before? Is it just that there's a stage for stuff like e. g. Mystifier right now? Am I the only one who remembers the rather snide reviews on stuff like that back then?

I think a lot of these bands have gone through a gradual rediscovery, and there has come into being a larger cult audience for stuff that is completely fringe metal. Everyone's tastes differ, of course. I don't get as heavily into primitivism and all that as some do. On the other hand, some of my favorite albums are kind of damaged and amateurish - and that quality is what gives them such a powerful atmosphere to me. Stuff like Hail is a completely unique experience that would be utterly lost if it were tighter, more technical, better recorded, etc.

The epitome of this, I think, is Beherit. "Drawing Down the Moon" was not well-received initially as far as I know, but it's become a very well-loved album for some. Others still absolutely hate it and everything the band stood for. Different strokes, etc. Me, I like "Drawing Down the Moon"... also like Morbosidad and some other bands like that... but I admit that a lot of times when I see yet another new thing described as primitive or bestial black/death metal, my knee jerk reaction is that I probably won't like it. These bands have to strive particularly hard to differentiate themselves and become something special, to my ears anyway. So I understand where you're coming from a little bit, even if I don't totally agree with you.
DESECRATOR777

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unsane inverted crosses rules!
Voidhanger

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professor Black wrote:

I thought Necropolis was quite a good label, along with those NIFELHEIM releases they had the BEHERIT/ARCHGOAT split, USURPER, ARCKANUM, DISSECTION, ABOMINATOR, DAWN, THE BLACK, NIDEN DIV. 187, DEMONIC and a few others... to each their own I guess.
dalecooper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professor Black wrote:

Oh good call. I wish Church of Misery had kept that vocalist, he has such a great rough (but still fairly tuneful) sound. Plus that album is just dripping with great riffs.
minge-eater

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did a google search and found a spanish web site , and among there items for sale i picked up

purtenance - members of immortal....lp for 24 euros , there was a lso the nihilist 7" for 15 euros, but only brought the lp. They had no other death metal.

TRUE KVNT
Descension twat of the year
duff138

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dalecooper wrote:
New Renaissance comes to mind. They weren't shitty exactly but so many of their bands were just mediocre and unmemorable. Their best stuff for me was Blood Feast, obviously, but the hidden gem is The Unsane's "Inverted Crosses" EP. I love the hell out of that. Dirty, evil-sounding, highly energetic, underground thrash.

My favorites from that label were Indestroy, Kublai Khan, and terrahsphere
dalecooper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot about Indestroy, I did like their EP quite a bit. It's not a classic or anything but it's good.
s.charlach

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NWN PROD wrote:
Asunder is great but that was a one off release and not an exclusive release on NWN. I'm curious to know what sort of stuff you're into if you don't like Mystifier.

Didn't know that the motto of the day is "If you don't like Mystifier you don't like Metal at all." Wink Considering that Mystifier was proclaimed as "Black Metal for real grown men" I guess I'm not allowed to speak of my musickal preferences without loosing the face. Laughing

Seriously I've never been into either that thick 'n' fast South American style or Blasphemy or Von you worship with your releases. Wasn't in the early/mid-nineties when I got into the whole underground thing and can't get into it right now. On the other hand, what do I know? When reading the more personal posts on this board it feels like most of you had a very continued/coherent development music-wise. Ya know, all this classic Heavy Metal stuff, Maiden, Priest to Destruction, Venom, Possessed, Frost, Slayer and so on. Well, I skipped all that. It was more like Guns 'n' Roses, first two Metallica, a bit of Sodom, Amon/Deicide, Benediction, Mefisto along with some Swe-Death and then right into the Grind scene. My point being something I've forgotten long ago obviously is that it often seems one has to go through a certain "education" to appreciate stuff like you release and to go along with the fuss I can only describe as exaggerated gesture, hasn't one? Well, I went to another school and just can't see anything in the typical NWN! stuff. That's not true. I see plagiarism with a good dose of childishness. Still the effort you put into everything is amazing and says something else. And first and foremost I'm NOT here to be judgemental!

dalecooper wrote:
On the other hand, some of my favorite albums are kind of damaged and amateurish - and that quality is what gives them such a powerful atmosphere to me. Stuff like Hail is a completely unique experience that would be utterly lost if it were tighter, more technical, better recorded, etc.

The epitome of this, I think, is Beherit. "Drawing Down the Moon"

Word! Same over here. I can't stand artsy-fartsy technical extravaganza either. And I didn't intend to talk shit about NWN! at all, "A Clarion Call" was just the very album I had to think of when reading the title of this topic.

dalecooper wrote:
Professor Black wrote:

Oh good call. I wish Church of Misery had kept that vocalist, he has such a great rough (but still fairly tuneful) sound. Plus that album is just dripping with great riffs.

Then you should definitely check out "Dennis Nilsen". Especially the first song heavily reminds of "Masters of Brutality" with its very heavy Blues Rock tone. And gee, Tom Satan is right on fire on "Hymn to the Satanic Empire". With an appetizer like that I hope they get the new full length released soon.
Professor Black

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voidhanger wrote:
Professor Black wrote:

I thought Necropolis was quite a good label, along with those NIFELHEIM releases they had the BEHERIT/ARCHGOAT split, USURPER, ARCKANUM, DISSECTION, ABOMINATOR, DAWN, THE BLACK, NIDEN DIV. 187, DEMONIC and a few others... to each their own I guess.

Yeah, you're right. I take that one back!
minge-eater

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

s.charlach wrote:
NWN PROD wrote:

Didn't know that the motto of the day is "If you don't like Mystifier you don't like Metal at all." Wink Considering that Mystifier was proclaimed as "Black Metal for real grown men" I guess I'm not allowed to speak of my musickal preferences without loosing the face. Laughing

Seriously I've never been into either that thick 'n' fast South American style or Blasphemy or Von you worship with your releases. Wasn't in the early/mid-nineties when I got into the whole underground thing and can't get into it right now. On the other hand, what do I know? When reading the more personal posts on this board it feels like most of you had a very continued/coherent development music-wise. Ya know, all this classic Heavy Metal stuff, Maiden, Priest to Destruction, Venom, Possessed, Frost, Slayer and so on. Well, I skipped all that. It was more like Guns 'n' Roses, first two Metallica, a bit of Sodom, Amon/Deicide, Benediction, Mefisto along with some Swe-Death and then right into the Grind scene. My point being something I've forgotten long ago obviously is that it often seems one has to go through a certain "education" to appreciate stuff like you release and to go along with the fuss I can only describe as exaggerated gesture, hasn't one? Well, I went to another school and just can't see anything in the typical NWN! stuff. That's not true. I see plagiarism with a good dose of childishness. Still the effort you put into everything is amazing and says something else. And first and foremost I'm NOT here to be judgemental!

im on your side bro, never been a big fan of mystifier, i only own one promo cd, which i never play. Hnece im not a true metal fan. but hell i dont care , i love my baggy pants and boris shirt

TRUE KVNT
Descension twat of the year
Sadovahr

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Werewolf wrote:
Tangorodrim's 3rd and 4th albums, released on Southern Lord.

100% agree!!!! Southern Lord sucks so much, so very much!!!!! the puke continues now that they saw black metal can bring cash in and started to release black metal LP's. Same goes for Relapse. Derstroy them once and for all before they destroy music. Mad Mad Mad
Cutterofgums

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one goes out to s.charlach, a stellar seller, and all around cool guy as far as I am concerned.

I just read yr posts and following answers in this thread.

It just boggles my mind how you can waste yr time hanging on a forum that to a large part celebrates music you have no respect for. There are a lot of forums and labels around that I have no respect for, but I would feel pretty lame to hang in one of them.

Condesending and high-browed popps to mind when you describe yr feelings about the label and music that is released by the bands on NWN.

I fucking hate a lot of music(but I love the Dixie Chicks), but why waste precious time on that. Do you hang here just to sell records?? Each to his own bro, and differnt tastes and opinions are always cool, but respectfully it seems pretty useless to hang in the forum of a label that you obviously have no feelings or respect for. I do not by any means like every NWN release, but on the other hand I would never hang here if I thought one outa 100++ was any good.

Have a good saturday man.

Cheers, Ivar

Good traders:minge-eater,CR 99,Grief, bmdk666, s.charlach, Mutta, Face Fate Records, Ichor, Ancient_Tyranny, Mz412, Jesus Iglesias, passetiermes
s.charlach

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ivar, to make that perfectly clear, there's a hell of a difference between having no respect for a label's hard work and just not to like the releases. Isn't it? I DO respect everyone who puts hard work, time and a shitload of money in his passion. Doesn't mean I have to share his vision though.

The rest of your post doesn't make sense to me at all as it's the same as with Yosuke's question about the stuff I could possibly like if not Mystifier. C'mon you really want to deny me my passion in extreme music only for the reason of not liking a release or a label you cherish the most? That'd be a load of waffle! Take a look around and you'll see that it's not only NWN! related topics being discussed right on here. And there you go for one reason why I participate in this board. The very rich source of information. The second reason -and most important one to me- is that I just love you guys. Seriously, NWN! is by far the best "staffed" board dealing with extreme music imo. Don't know what it is, but here's a great mix of down-to-earth guys who REALLY know what they're talking about, sharp-tongued and witty discussions, sick sense of humour and over all yes, it's a good place to trade and even sell records. Why should I deem that a "waste [of my] precious time"?

Got me?

Beast regards,
Steffen

P. S. Could we please go back to normal now? No need to make such a fuss 'bout me not seeing NWN! as a keeper of the Grail.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: