P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

LP's at Best Buy???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heliogabalus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: LP's at Best Buy??? Reply with quote

I was at best buy the other day picking up some really great deals on some horror flicks, when I came across several Lp's (Metallica's Death magnetic, (already discussed on another forum) Judas Priest, and a few others. I wonder if this will inspire kids to pick up a turntable snd discover a great adventure into the Vinyl world,
indie stores and mail order or will they just buy these and frame them for the wall? I have several "rare" records an play the shit out of them, and am not one to get concerned with corner dings, etc. (unless they are from NWN or other labels that take great care in quality product).
I am 43 and for a long time resisted these newfangled contraptions called CD players and have stuck to mostly vinyl so this was a shock to see.
CR99

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vinyl develops to be an in thing recently.
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The visual appeal of the vinyl package is almost impossible to resist in all honesty.
A CD next to an LP, who wouldn't pick up the LP first to check out the stunning artwork etc etc ?
GROUND ZERO Entertainment

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The visual appeal of the vinyl package is almost impossible to resist

That's it! CDs are easier to deal with (play them in the car, don't turn them over, harder to damage than vinyl, etc...)

But the visual experience is lacking, even cool cover art has a diminished impact at 5" x 5 " as opposed to a 12" x 12" vinyl LP.

Plus the extras with most vinyl releases, a poster, an insert, maybe a gatefold, just enhances the whole thing.

That's why I can't get into MP3s at all...nothing there at all...just a file!
www.red-sky-design.com/GZEmailorder.htm
Good Trades: NWN! / H.H.R. / No Sign Of Life / LIE IN RUINS / BLOOD HARVEST / Asphyxiate / Prof. BLACK / Axa Valaha / Bloody Prod. / SONIC TEMPLE / Kuravilu / Death Dealer
TheUnborn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GROUND ZERO Entertainment wrote:
The visual appeal of the vinyl package is almost impossible to resist

That's it! CDs are easier to deal with (play them in the car, don't turn them over, harder to damage than vinyl, etc...)

But the visual experience is lacking, even cool cover art has a diminished impact at 5" x 5 " as opposed to a 12" x 12" vinyl LP.

Plus the extras with most vinyl releases, a poster, an insert, maybe a gatefold, just enhances the whole thing.

That's why I can't get into MP3s at all...nothing there at all...just a file!

Mp3's, bah... Horrible "format".
ryan_the_snake

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw some LPs at Costco of all places last time I was there...

I think I read an article in the newspaper a while back that some store in Oregon, K-Mart or something, accidentally ordered a bunch of LPs instead of CDs and they sold way better than CDs had been so all of the Oregon stores decided to start carrying vinyl. Kind of cool I thought.
HELLTHRASHER

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryan_the_snake wrote:
I saw some LPs at Costco of all places last time I was there...

I think I read an article in the newspaper a while back that some store in Oregon, K-Mart or something, accidentally ordered a bunch of LPs instead of CDs and they sold way better than CDs had been so all of the Oregon stores decided to start carrying vinyl. Kind of cool I thought.

Well that's a positive move for sure!

Agreed though, I would guess Costco is the LAST place to carry LPs.

Surely 1 out of the 10 kids would be interested in owning a record player after checking out how inferior CDs look (and sound?) next to a vinyl.
Blood and Thunder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, the peril of this of course is that it holds up the pressing plants with unnecessary junk while we have to wait longer for "our" releases he he.
Then the devil must...

http://www.blackmetalrevolution.com/preview.html
http://www.blackmetalrevolution.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/bmrevolution
Nekrokunt_Usurper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of one or two trendy kids who buy vinyl because it seems the 'in' thing to do. Rare-ish to find but its the whole 'retro' thing they seem to go for from what I can gather.
Endless Morbidity

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see it as more of a reaction/backlash to iPods and MP3's. We're headed towards a bleek future where there is little to no material anything. People will be able to DL everything and see no reason to even leave their house. Only businesses around will be ones that sell little digital trinkets.
Nekrokunt_Usurper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of people don't seem to leave the house anyway. There are far too many distractions around. Which is why I'm getting off this damn computer now!
Heliogabalus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Lp's at Best Buy Reply with quote

I gave an old Audio Technica turntable to my 16 year old nephew.
He is into Phish, the dead etc., but I figure vinyl is vinyl, so I took him to a local indie store that sell everthing from Wayne Newton to Xasthur.
He picked up a few records and I sent him home, set it up with a cheap preamp, and he was good to go. A few weeks later it was back to the Ipod. I took everything back with no hard feelings. I tried.
Flagofhate666

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that the reason for it being sold widely again is that mp3's from vinyl sound better than mp3's from cd's and that pretty much cd's are going to be gone soon and the main formats sold will be mp3 downloads and vinyl.
Nosliw

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Lp's at Best Buy Reply with quote

Heliogabalus wrote:
I gave an old Audio Technica turntable to my 16 year old nephew.
He is into Phish, the dead etc., but I figure vinyl is vinyl, so I took him to a local indie store that sell everthing from Wayne Newton to Xasthur.
He picked up a few records and I sent him home, set it up with a cheap preamp, and he was good to go. A few weeks later it was back to the Ipod. I took everything back with no hard feelings. I tried.

I could go for an Audio Technica turntable to replace my cruddy Sony turntable! Laughing

The whole MP3 and Ipod trend is hugely based on convenience, holding hundreds of albums loaded into one simple device. I can understand the appeal to MP3 players and such. Plus, it's much easier for people to listen to new music almost instantaneously by making him/her listen on the Ipod. Believe me, I used to own an Ipod. Razz

Although, I do backup much of my CD collection into MP3 and lossless. I'm starting to do that for my records, that is if I can find the time to do it. Reason being that I can fall back into my music in case I do not have immediate access to my physical music collection, like being away outside of my place or going to vacation.

T/S List: http://nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4783
ishoulddie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryan_the_snake wrote:

Ha ha, yeah, that was Fred Meyer. i don't see many in the stores locally, but Portland has plenty of record stores that sell vinyl anyways. i did see some in the Fred Meyer stores in my hometown in Alaska last summer.

Over the weekend, i saw the LP box set version of the new Judas Priest at Best Buy. $90!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: