P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

One riff to rule them all...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Farthest Star

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ough wrote:
The most genius riff crafting I've ever heard occurs between 2:47 - 3:42 in Arghoslent's Manacled Freightage. This passage then repeats itself. Just brilliant songwriting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=190MVqJEGCY

The cadence is eerily similar to this thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2n212OP1cQ
bearsbearsbears

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udhPiAkcrU0&t=5m23s

One more to add to the Gelal / Pogrom party.

Check out my sale-thread HERE! (Updated 4/27/19)
Ough

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

out of all that new death tech era shit (decapitation/psycroptic etc) I gotta go Spawn of Possession - Cabinet

Last edited by Ough on Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Farthest Star

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't really stand the vast majority of tek-deaf crap with their swirly slot machine sweeps. I don't think Winds of Creation even fits in this category since it contains riffs and actual song structures.
Ough

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Farthest Star wrote:
Ough wrote:
The most genius riff crafting I've ever heard occurs between 2:47 - 3:42 in Arghoslent's Manacled Freightage. This passage then repeats itself. Just brilliant songwriting.

LMAO Laughing
M8FOX

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Farthest Star wrote:
Ough wrote:

Holy shit! The future is now!!!

"The idea born in someones mind is nurtured by a thousand blind"
Kojiri

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Farthest Star wrote:
Can't really stand the vast majority of tek-deaf crap with their swirly slot machine sweeps. I don't think Winds of Creation even fits in this category since it contains riffs and actual song structures.

Don't really know which bands you are referring to but at least Anata and early Psycroptic has all the songwriting ability (imo much moreso) of that Decapitated album. Psycroptic's "Isle of Disenchantment" is actually really similar, I'd check it out if you're into Decap so much. And Decap has always been tech death like it or not.

Keep the hate train rollin'
Crasse

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Farthest Star wrote:

Last time i started this thing i lasted for more than two hours...
The Farthest Star

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kojiri wrote:
The Farthest Star wrote:

Don't really know which bands you are referring to but at least Anata and early Psycroptic has all the songwriting ability (imo much moreso) of that Decapitated album. Psycroptic's "Isle of Disenchantment" is actually really similar, I'd check it out if you're into Decap so much. And Decap has always been tech death like it or not.

I never really understood the Anata hype. I gave The Conductor's Departure a spin back when it came out, was underwhelmed. I guess I'll take a youtube refresher.

Psycroptic is one of the funniest bands I've ever heard. I laughed and laughed but nowadays it's not so funny in retrospective.

... Ok, it's still a bit funny:

https://youtu.be/IhBuCy1PAGk?t=1m16s

Then fast forward to 4:10 for the funniest pig squeals ever recorded. Ok fuck it man, I admit this is still hilarious as it ever was.

But yeah, they rap way too much. It was kind of endearing when Deicide did it on Holy Deception or Malevolent Creation on Multiple Stab Wounds but you can attribute that to meth or something. These guys seem to be kinda all too aware of what they're doing. Know what I mean?

I mean sure, their riff game is definitely on point, especially in relation to the rest of that worthless scene. The overall experience rings hollow to me though. Too wiggery, too "gamer dude", too polished. Even if the technique and approach is similar, Decapitated have (well, had on WoC) a more sinister approach and a knack for storm-like martial melody. No tweedledeedle, no WASD, just Gabriel blowing on that trumpet as legions of hell rush forth and shit.
DevilRidesOut
banned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sleep - Dopesmoker. End of story.
Kojiri

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Farthest Star wrote:
Kojiri wrote:
The Farthest Star wrote:

I never really understood the Anata hype. I gave The Conductor's Departure a spin back when it came out, was underwhelmed. I guess I'll take a youtube refresher.

Psycroptic is one of the funniest bands I've ever heard. I laughed and laughed but nowadays it's not so funny in retrospective.

... Ok, it's still a bit funny:

https://youtu.be/IhBuCy1PAGk?t=1m16s

Then fast forward to 4:10 for the funniest pig squeals ever recorded. Ok fuck it man, I admit this is still hilarious as it ever was.

But yeah, they rap way too much. It was kind of endearing when Deicide did it on Holy Deception or Malevolent Creation on Multiple Stab Wounds but you can attribute that to meth or something. These guys seem to be kinda all too aware of what they're doing. Know what I mean?

I mean sure, their riff game is definitely on point, especially in relation to the rest of that worthless scene. The overall experience rings hollow to me though. Too wiggery, too "gamer dude", too polished. Even if the technique and approach is similar, Decapitated have (well, had on WoC) a more sinister approach and a knack for storm-like martial melody. No tweedledeedle, no WASD, just Gabriel blowing on that trumpet as legions of hell rush forth and shit.

I dig your esoteric views on the matter, but so far it's all just like weird onomotopea descriptions "beep boop, tweedily, boobily bop, haw haw haw, jello pudding metal". Eventually if your opinion is to be taken a little seriously you'll have to list something like influences or similar style artists. Like for example, Decapitated were as much influenced by Meshuggah as they were by Deicide or Morbid Angel, apparent on later albums more than first. If the vocals of Chalk remind you of wigger shit, well that's cool, but musically I hear no real distinction.

Psycroptic and Decapitated were similar in that their early albums were less commercial and well written than their later albums... arguing one is SOOOO much better and more true than the other is like arguing that Korn was SOOOOO much better and more true than Slipknot.

Keep the hate train rollin'
Abnutivum666

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Repulsion, first guitar break in radiation sickness and main riff in driven to insanity. Anyone else ever notice that Teitanblood quotes both those riffs verbatim on Infernal dance off of seven chalices? Have read many a review of that record and no one seems to mention it! Good tribute to the riff GODS
Ragingwinter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pseudogod - Malignant Spears at 1:08..

Empires crumble when that riff hits.
Abnutivum666

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just saw that this topic has retarded too wigger tech death worship, FUCK OFF!
The Farthest Star

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kojiri wrote:
"beep boop, tweedily, boobily bop, haw haw haw, jello pudding metal".

That's actually a really nice way of putting it.

Quote:
Eventually if your opinion is to be taken a little seriously

Not really a consideration, to be honest.

Quote:
you'll have to list something like influences or similar style artists.

It's more a matter of atmosphere though. But ok. Decapitated (on WoC) is a bit more Slayer (and obviously Vader), Psycroptic are a bit more prog. Bit more Atheist and Cynic, even Necrophagist. Bit more random and happy to doodle around the neck, whereas Decapitated riffs never steer far from a sinister theme.

For example, check out this riff:

https://youtu.be/w39lD283KEk?t=32s

Sure, it's a tech death finger twister, but you can clearly hear that Slayer (read: Vader) undercurrent. It's Death Metal. It's evil shit and it knows it. Not saying that Psycroptic don't have plenty of similar riffs, but they will often happily go off on some dubious exploratory tangent that doesn't really evoke much of anything in my eyes/ears/brain/whatever. And then there's the vocals.

Also please note I never gave their first one a chance. What I'm saying applies primarily to The Scepter of the Ancients which is where I began and stopped with this band.

Quote:
Like for example, Decapitated were as much influenced by Meshuggah as they were by Deicide or Morbid Angel, apparent on later albums more than first.

While their later material has Meshuggah written all over it, there's not a shred of it on WoC. At least I don't hear it.

Quote:
Psycroptic and Decapitated were similar in that their early albums were less commercial and well written than their later albums... arguing one is SOOOO much better and more true than the other is like arguing that Korn was SOOOOO much better and more true than Slipknot.

I prefer Slipknot. Not terribly keen on it though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: