P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Mike Diana Documentary, Boiled Angel zines, etc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smegma

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:08 pm    Post subject: Mike Diana Documentary, Boiled Angel zines, etc Reply with quote

Thought maybe some people would remember this from the late 80s / early 90s and be curious.

Directed by Frank Henenlotter (Basket Case)
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1300283850/the-trial-of-mike-diana

‘The Trial of Mike Diana’ Kickstarter Campaign Trailer: The Story of the Only U.S. Artist To Be Convicted of Obscenity

Does Freedom of Speech mean anything when authorities see only obscenity? Does an artist’s vision matter when community standards conspire to suppress it? In a small town in Florida back in 1994, Mike Diana learned that the answer was a resounding no. Freedom of Speech doesn’t mean anything when your art is declared obscene. And one man’s art could be another man’s obscenity.

Diana’s crime? Publishing a hand-made comic zine called Boiled Angel full of graphic, outrageous, often hilarious confrontational art, full of sex and violence, meant to shock and disturb. But it was a zine only sold to adults by mail. With a print run of only 300 copies, Diana’s zine was NEVER available in comic racks or in stores. And only one copy – count ‘em, one! – was ever sold to a customer in Diana’s hometown. And that one customer was an undercover cop!

Article [has a different trailer]
http://www.indiewire.com/2016/10/the-trial-of-mike-diana-kickstarter-trailer-frank-henenlotter-1201741994/

Also, if you're interested, Mike Diana is doing a special 'box set' reprint of the Boiled Angel comics:

(New York) For the first time since their original printing, Mike Diana's infamous homemade fanzines BOILED ANGEL are being reprinted exclusively by Mike, and now available for pre-order! These are the zines ordered by the FDLE (Florida Dept of Law Enforcement) leading to Mike's arrest, trial, and tribulations.

With BOILED ANGEL LIVES Box Set you get all eight issues of Boiled Angel, along with a Certificate of Authenticity signed by Mike. Each box is signed and numbered on inside lid, each issue signed/numbered on inside front cover.

LIMITED PRE-ORDER PRICE
(Boxes will start shipping in time for Xmas)

BOILED ANGEL LIVES
Box Set = $100 (plus postage)
Only 1,500 will be made available.

http://mikedianacomix.com/mikediana2016.html

Last edited by Smegma on Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
CicciolinaNumeroUno
banned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks interesting, good to see Frank Henenlotter involved.

First came across Mike's stuff in the Aussie zine Sick Puppy.

I worked in an 'underground bookstore' for many moons that sold Boiled Angel, kicking myself I never grabbed any myself. Ha ha... we even had that 'Priests Fuck Little Boys' shirt he did, unsure who was the lucky customer who purchased that one.

Not to hijack the thread, but just got an email from D.U. Records in relation to raising cash for a documentary on Longmont Potion Castle:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/longmont-potion-castle-the-official-film#/

Triple Double Double Check!
Endsieg

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shipping to europe or US only?
Smegma

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endsieg wrote:
shipping to europe or US only?

I don't have any involvement with either of these projects, other than being aware of their existence and an interest in them myself.

Which were you referring to?

The documentary Kickstarter seems to say:
Ships to: Anywhere in the world

The comic books:
Mike Diana will ship overseas!
for non-US shipping info, with country, address,
& misc customs info to determine shipping costs

CicciolinaNumeroUno wrote:

Not to hijack the thread, but just got an email from D.U. Records in relation to raising cash for a documentary on Longmont Potion Castle:

No problem! I always worry when I post a thread like this, that it will seem like I am shilling for a product or have something to gain. I just like spreading the word about things that I think others might enjoy too.
Graceless Recordings

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude is a total legend.
CicciolinaNumeroUno
banned

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and any one into Mike Diana should attempt to track down the Mark Hejnar flick Affliction from the mid-90's. His segment in it is 'memorable', but trumped by Full Force Frank.
Endsieg

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smegma wrote:

The comic books:
Mike Diana will ship overseas!
for non-US shipping info, with country, address,
& misc customs info to determine shipping costs

alright got it. I only saw the "shipping for US only" but thats in regards to the 10/20$ of course. just sent an email, but I'm guessing it will cost an arm and a leg to send it over here.

didn't he contrbute to Answer Me! 'zine?
danofort

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a really nice Mike Diana two volume anthology called "Live/Die" that came out a little while back. I got mine cheaper than what it's going for now, but it's still available-

https://www.amazon.com/Mike-Diana-America-Live-Die/dp/8086450716
Mastubator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great, but hopefully it's not too straight a documentary, otherwise it might just end up being 50% lawyer talking heads and archive footage of women being 'disgusted'...

Just as a comparison, Lord Horror was banned in the UK for obscenity in the early 90's, and though there isn't a documentary it does get the odd mention in those shit 'shocking' TV serials such as this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVLU3k2YIuo

If it has a majority contribution from Mike Diana it should be ok, but I'd rather see the artwork than hear someone talking about it or explaining what it means. Imagine what a Ken Russell documentary on Mike Diana would look like?
slayera

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll definitely be getting the Boiled Angel box set. Been looking for "The Worst of Boiled Angel" for a couple of years for a reasonable price to no avail.
ronjosenthal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Backed that documentary super hard. Dudes behind it are super grateful and hit me up pretty quickly after I pledged - really hope they hit the $40K goal.
Black Mass Hysteria

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About fucking time! The guy is a legend and it is a shame hardly anyone remembers him.
Smegma

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CicciolinaNumeroUno wrote:
Oh, and any one into Mike Diana should attempt to track down the Mark Hejnar flick Affliction from the mid-90's. His segment in it is 'memorable', but trumped by Full Force Frank.

I love some Full Force Frank. I think Mike used to sell Affliction DVD-Rs at one time.

I was in touch with this lady, Lisa Falour, who used to correspond with Frank a lot back in the day. (Frank even wrote a tribute to her after she died a year or so ago.) She had plans to publish 'The Frank Letters'... but that never worked out. It was supposed to have personal letters and manifestos from his website. When I enquired about purchasing the materials she wanted 8,000 euro plus shipping, which was *WAY* more than I was looking to spend. She did say someone name Steve in the US would be willed all her effects after she died. Don't know what ever happened. Maybe there is a 0.1% chance it will happen eventually?

Endsieg wrote:
didn't he contrbute to Answer Me! 'zine?

He did contribute a little to those zines. That reminds me: Jim Goad is reissuing 'Answer Me' complete volumes #1-4 in a huge collected edition soon. (#4 was the 'Rape' issue that was only ever available by itself)
If interested, I'd check here occasionally to see when it's available: http://jimgoad.net/

danofort wrote:
There was a really nice Mike Diana two volume anthology called "Live/Die" that came out a little while back. I got mine cheaper than what it's going for now, but it's still available-
https://www.amazon.com/Mike-Diana-America-Live-Die/dp/8086450716

That's a better price than I paid too. I think I paid $100 directly from Diana when it first came out. (It was signed, but still, might have been better off saving the cash.)

He's got another book out too, hardcover:

https://www.amazon.com/Firebrat-Mike-Diana/dp/6086559821

Also, that same company, Divus, that released the 'America: Live/Die' set, recently put out the collected works of Stu Mead. You might recognize his work from 'Apocalypse Culture' by Feral House.

https://www.amazon.com/Stu-Mead-Ivan-Mecl/dp/8086450899
SerialMessiah

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Affliction fuckin rules, you can rent it at Movie Madness in Portland. Lots of Whore and Fornicator clips were taken from Mike Diana and Full Force Franks bits. True sleaze in that movie.
amon-goethe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still got the originals. This guy was great
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: