P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

The Swanos of Mercy
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unaerth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: The Swanos of Mercy Reply with quote

The Edge of Sanity thread reminded me of something that I haven't thought about in a long time. It always made me smile when Dan would suddenly switch to 'Sisters of Mercy' mode. For example: Sacrificed off of The Spectral Sorrows.
What other metal bands can you guys think of that show clear Sisters of Mercy homage? There are certainly many 'gothic metal' (or whatever you want to call it) bands that adopted/aped a similar vibe; but are there any other bands that have done covers or rather seriously shifted their usual sound to do a song in said Sister's style?
HisEmissary

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love this song!
Carpathian_Florist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The Swanos of Mercy Reply with quote

Unaerth wrote:
The Edge of Sanity thread reminded me of something that I haven't thought about in a long time. It always made me smile when Dan would suddenly switch to 'Sisters of Mercy' mode. For example: Sacrificed off of The Spectral Sorrows.
What other metal bands can you guys think of that show clear Sisters of Mercy homage? There are certainly many 'gothic metal' (or whatever you want to call it) bands that adopted/aped a similar vibe; but are there any other bands that have done covers or rather seriously shifted their usual sound to do a song in said Sister's style?

None. Sisters reign supreme.
Death Kvlt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: The Swanos of Mercy Reply with quote

Carpathian_Florist wrote:
Unaerth wrote:

+1
Unaerth

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sisters do rule, always will. I was obsessed with them when I was a kid, and still hold their work in extremely high regard (except for the reunion show I attended several years back where it was just Mr. Eldritch and a couple no-name 'faux-metal' kids on guitars ... very odd, and didn't work).
Is Edge of Sanity really the only metal band to have done this, though? With the wealth of knowledge and experience out there, I was hoping someone might have a few examples we had not heard much of yet. Oh well ... an even bigger 'hats off' to Dan for the move then.
Under Command

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: The Swanos of Mercy Reply with quote

Death Kvlt wrote:
Carpathian_Florist wrote:
Unaerth wrote:

+1

This.
In Solitude

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just talking about this! Not precisely SISTERS OF MERCY, but close enough in that style. VARATHRON does it with "The Dark Hills" on Walpurgisnacht.

Out of nowhere on the album, this bassline comes in and I'm in goth land. So good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZyB7xA_HQQ
Unaerth

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Solitude wrote:
I was just talking about this! Not precisely SISTERS OF MERCY, but close enough in that style. VARATHRON does it with "The Dark Hills" on Walpurgisnacht.

Out of nowhere on the album, this bassline comes in and I'm in goth land. So good:

Hell Yes! Now we're talking. Absolutely badass! I had totally forgotten about this one, and now I have to dig out the album from my stacks for a fresh listen. Huge thanks for the reminder!

I have always loved that about the old Greek style in general ... they have always been savvy to the importance and impact that those kinds of bass-lines can have. Zephyrous was always great for that too, in my opinion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Nuhx6NyQuY
Mikael

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First Nightingale album is quite gothic, in good and bad way. But, naturally most in this topic already knows it, but anyway.

Last edited by Mikael on Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Unaerth

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

while in the 'greek' vein ...

riff beginning at 0:22 from Necromantia - The Warlock
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtrgYw2KBI
always reminded me a bit, in tone, of Sisters of Mercy - Marian
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8m1nRzsOJM
Carpathian_Florist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unaerth wrote:
The Sisters do rule, always will. I was obsessed with them when I was a kid, and still hold their work in extremely high regard (except for the reunion show I attended several years back where it was just Mr. Eldritch and a couple no-name 'faux-metal' kids on guitars ... very odd, and didn't work).
Is Edge of Sanity really the only metal band to have done this, though? With the wealth of knowledge and experience out there, I was hoping someone might have a few examples we had not heard much of yet. Oh well ... an even bigger 'hats off' to Dan for the move then.

Proud owner of 3 SOM shirts, and still one of my all time favorite bands next to Fields Of The Nephilim.
IIIRD GATEKEEPER

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Solitude wrote:

This is what I immediately thought after seeing the thread. Killer song from the best Varathron album.

TURN THE LIGHT OFF
OBEY THE MEGAGOAL
IIIRD GATEKEEPER

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FURBOWL "Still Breathing"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpQRgZq6L2M

Although I think they had more of a Neffs influence...

TURN THE LIGHT OFF
OBEY THE MEGAGOAL
Heirophant.326.AV

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unaerth wrote:

Agreed - that reunion tour was a total abortion and I was so disappointed.
global deathrape

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katatonia - Scarlet Heavens
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: