P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Magazine prices...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masters_throne

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snaps666 wrote:
Mz412 wrote:
as last chance, look for some distributors in other countries
and send them inlets+master cdr.

so you have not such postage rates and the distributor can
made the tapes...

Good idea, but not for this projekt. As we want to make a more pro tape.

maybe you should reveal your secret as soon as possible and then you can see from the feedback if it is a good thing to do or not.

= KILL I =
= KILL II =
snaps666

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-> masters_throne, thanks for the long input.

I am well aware that we're going to loose money on this, and that itself its not a big problem. But if it won't be possible to sell any magz outside Denmark due to postage costs, then it will be a problem Laughing

There's not going to be "1000 reviews" , in fact, we have no plans of one single review in first issue so far. I'm not a big fan of reviews myself, and I really hate to do them anyway. There might be a few reviews here and there in the future, but not anything we want to focus on at all.

2-4 euro for a mag and 2-3 euro for a tape sounds ok (maybe a bit low, but might work out), but then there's the bloody postage. Another 5 euro (world), så that would be like 10-12 euro in total.
(By the way, the band is not a "newcomer" in this case).

I could look into some discounts for postage, but I highly doubt it's possible for "private" persons here in Denmark. You need to be a registered company to get special deals. But thanks for the advice.
snaps666

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

masters_throne wrote:

maybe you should reveal your secret as soon as possible and then you can see from the feedback if it is a good thing to do or not.

Laughing

Yeah, that would probably be a good idea... But as I said, we're already deeply involved with this project, so there's not really any turning back.

It would have been more clever to do the research earlier, but then we would most likely not had done it...
Mz412

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it depends also on the band. i think a demo tape from a bigger
band sells itself (+magazine) for sure also with high postage.
a totaly unknown band instead won't sell this..maybe no one
may be interested also if its only 4-5 euros Confused

tape selling is very hard in this times, mostly buy cd or lp...
snaps666

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right.

The whole idea about releasing the mag. including a tape, was that Postage would be almost the same for 1 mag, or for 1 mag + tape. So people would get more for the "postage money".

People are more likely to pay 10-12 euro for mag+tape, than 7-9 euro just for the mag, or something like that.
Mz412

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just for info about the whole matter...

for example iut de asken has a factory pressed cd, 200 pages,
dina3 poster, a map where all is in for 12 euro+6 euro postage
in europe = 18 euros

or in germany 12 euro + 3 euro = 15 euro

15 euro sounds horrible much (is a lp or such instead)

the sounding of the costs are often the problem than the
costs themselves...

"should i buy a mag+cd (or Tape) for a LP"

such thinking, you know?
masters_throne

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snaps666 wrote:
-> masters_throne, thanks for the long input.

I am well aware that we're going to loose money on this, and that itself its not a big problem. But if it won't be possible to sell any magz outside Denmark due to postage costs, then it will be a problem Laughing

There's not going to be "1000 reviews" , in fact, we have no plans of one single review in first issue so far. I'm not a big fan of reviews myself, and I really hate to do them anyway. There might be a few reviews here and there in the future, but not anything we want to focus on at all.

2-4 euro for a mag and 2-3 euro for a tape sounds ok (maybe a bit low, but might work out), but then there's the bloody postage. Another 5 euro (world), så that would be like 10-12 euro in total.
(By the way, the band is not a "newcomer" in this case).

I could look into some discounts for postage, but I highly doubt it's possible for "private" persons here in Denmark. You need to be a registered company to get special deals. But thanks for the advice.

- you have to convince the labels/distros with the content of the zine and have to trade as much as possible. a mag like slayer can whole-sale only if they want, you and I NOT! we have to accept trades, because we do not want to sit at our zines (at least I myself got a little base and friends from other distros/labels that whole-saled many copies).

- my example of the reviews was meant to be that I got so many products (tapes, cds, cd'r,...) that I find it simply annoying to get something other which I cannot need for my own collection. that is also a reason why I stop accepting promo versions for any next issues after #16. there will be only a small amount of reviews because I do not want to waste my time on writing reviews while listening to worse music. nevermind, back to topic: it was all about the (personal) value of that tape. well-known band (and good one) I would pay a little more.

- my adviced prices are not that little. I always made it that way: Hellpike postpaid 5 Euro (world). I paid 3 Euro postage, 2 Euro was for the zine, which covered the printing costs, Germany the same price, but postage was only 1.45 euro - only this way you can hit a balance. When I sold them at gigs etc. I sold the later ones for 3 Euro. So, you can keep a balance with that. Because the postage price is high, you have to calculate different. you can't say, okay 5 euro zine, 5 euro tape and 5 euro postage = 15 euro. I would say via sending single copies you have to calculate 2 euro printing costs (zine), 2 euro manufacturing costs (tape) and 5 Euro porto = 9.00 euro. 40 xeroxed pages are 60-70 cent here in a copy shop so you still can calculate with 1 euro. get a base and then you can think about getting a bit more money back than with the first issue(s)

= KILL I =
= KILL II =
snaps666

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah.
I did think about earn some one copies sold local and loose some on copies sold world wide.
Distributers are a must, and I will try and do trades as well.

Thanks again for the advice and in depth input. Highly appreciated.
masters_throne

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snaps666 wrote:
Yeah.
I did think about earn some one copies sold local and loose some on copies sold world wide.
Distributers are a must, and I will try and do trades as well.

Thanks again for the advice and in depth input. Highly appreciated.

Of course you are welcome to contact us if you are willingly to trade against our CD releases. As being an editor myself I really would love to support zines and build up a huge distro/stock of zines, but it is hard to get (worthy) ones.

= KILL I =
= KILL II =
Black_Fire

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make zine wihout this tape. Tip: if you make 28 A4 pages then you can send this zine as letter under 100 grams (when paper is 80g, and you dont add only few flyers), that should be cheaper! Then try later relase some tapes. Sorry, I forgot about postage cost in my first post in this theard, postage allways sucks.
www.doomzine.bandcamp.com
snaps666

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actualy there's not a big difference in postage from Denmark for a A4 letter below 100 g or a A5+tape send as letter below 250 g.

If we release the MC alone, then postage for that one would be the same as for the mag+MC together.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: