P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Kvlting in Athens
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Priest666

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Kvlting in Athens Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

Visiting Athens on 5 - 12 August.
Any good recommendations for sightseeing, distro, venues/bar, interesting places to visit in Athens? Maybe somekind of gigs happening at that time?

Got a list of historical and cultural sites to visit, but not a lot of ideas about anything else.

www.facebook.com/sisyphean13

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of Metal fans are from Hellas, so this might be a long thread.

passetiermes wrote:
My advice is this: take a vacation from metal, there's more to life than that.
Lithium Gates

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not Greek, but Athens is fucking awesome!
If you're into traditional, speed and epic metal, too, visit the Eat Metal Records Store (Spyridonos Trikoupi street, Exarcheia). However, the chance to find goatkult and black metal there is close to zero, I'd say.
There's another metal record store called Bowel of Noise on Themistokleous street in Exarcheia, but I have only seen it from the outside, so I don't know what's on sale there.
Other than that, just try to buy the Retsina in 0,33 l bottles for 0,70 € and get wasted. Smile
Somberlain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently outside and dont have a lot of time but I will reply properly to you tomorrow everything you would like to know!
Places to buy records to eat cheap/expensive food and places to go out metal or not!
It's the least I can do for the great hospitality you guys showed us when we visited Lithuania to play on your fest!
gangrena

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to Death Disco. Twisted Evil
speedevilucifer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acropolis,Parthenon,Erechtheion,Propylaia,Athena's Temple ,the museum and everything is Acropolis related...

Actually,there are so many monuments...

Even for myself,I still want to visit the sacred Temple of Poseidon in Sounio..

Next time will be there for sure...

Yes,Eat Metal is cool for Epic/Heavy.

Many vinyl stores around Exarcheia area.

Somberlain can tell you more about that Smile

Note that centre of Athens is not the most beautiful place in the world..Omonoia,Viktoria,Pedion toy Areos and places around,there's dirtyness,misery,drug-addicted people,homeless,hookers etc.
Be careful especially in the night.
And better not be alone in those places.

Athens (or better Attiki) has really some wonderful places and regions to visit..Some of the most beautiful of the earth..

You'll need time.If you have a few days to spend out,possibly you're moving around the centre.

There are (as far as I know) many metal bars with effordable/logical prices.You'll not be disappointed here!

It's a big city and you can find anything if you ask and search.

Try Greek souvlaki at all cost.It's a must.

Athenians could give you some further information about that.

Ask local people for local tavernas with some local food and specialties.Compare prices.

Be polite and you'll have a great time.

Taste some Hellenic beers: Fix and Z (Eza) are my favorites.There are many unknown local brands (qualitative) but they are more pricey.

And drink some ouzo!!
Klown

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avoid eating from Bairaktaris, unless you're armed with endless toilet paper.

This is my recommendation for souvlaki
https://www.e-food.gr/delivery/gazi/pita-status

It's 3 minutes away from "Kerameikos" metro station. Clean, cheap and tasty. Then you can visit Gazi at night, lots of beatiful women around there. And even more homos Laughing

For record digging: Zacharias, Mr Vinylios, Rhythm Records, Sirens Records, Le Disque Noir. In general, 2 are the main places: Monastiraki and Themistokleous street.

Can't find any gigs around that time though...

If you need anything else just PM me, my main job is at Kerameikos
translucent_nick

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES , avoid fucking "Bairaktaris" !!!!
You may want to try "Savvas" for kebab - the funny thing is that "Savvas" place is behind "Bairaktaris" and "Thanasis" places but both these guys were pupils and taught the souvlaki and kebab art by "Savvas" !!! Very Happy

Try "Bowel Of Noise" for extreme metal records, "Eat Metal" and "No Remorse" records - all these stores are roughly in the same area - downtown Athens.

You may want to visit the thrift record stores in Monastiraki - Ifestou street.
"What's with the girly screams? We are not The Beatles" - Black Winds / “The earth has a skin and that skin has diseases; one of its diseases is called man.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche. / STOP USING PVC PROTECTING SLEEVES ON YOUR VINYL ALBUMS
Acid Orgy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedevilucifer wrote:

Note that centre of Athens is not the most beautiful place in the world..Omonoia,Viktoria,Pedion toy Areos and places around,there's dirtyness,misery,drug-addicted people,homeless,hookers etc.
Be careful especially in the night.
And better not be alone in those places.

Yes, I was shocked by the degradation of those places, at night walking around without a cab was not an option! Crisis striked Greece pretty bad...
Apart from that, Athens is the most "Metal" city I ever seen, lots of gigs, metal bars and record stores! And greek metal maniacs are really friendly.
Priest666

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the recommendations for record shops. Will be plenty enough to explore.

Siteseeing wise Im going to visit as much as possible inside Athens, but thinking of travelling around the area outside the city too. Anything that could be a 1 day daytrip wise. For the moment decided only about Delphi. Any other recommendations?

My coworkers are advising me like crazy, to take a boat from Athens to one of surrounding islands, any particular recommendations?

About the city center, glad to hear the feedback. Im kind of into such urban decay stuff hah, so even better. Hopefully need to just not get killed.

Any specific bar/club recommendations?

I guess not a lot of gigs happening at summer in general as everywhere.

www.facebook.com/sisyphean13
speedevilucifer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

translucent_nick wrote:
YES , avoid fucking "Bairaktaris" !!!!
You may want to try "Savvas" for kebab - the funny thing is that "Savvas" place is behind "Bairaktaris" and "Thanasis" places but both these guys were pupils and taught the souvlaki and kebab art by "Savvas" !!! Very Happy

Try "Bowel Of Noise" for extreme metal records, "Eat Metal" and "No Remorse" records - all these stores are roughly in the same area - downtown Athens.

You may want to visit the thrift record stores in Monastiraki - Ifestou street.

I been to 'Savvas' two days ago,after the Iron Maiden gig,ha!Recommended!

I saw many metalheads inside.Is it the ''official'' gyros place for metalheads Laughing ?
translucent_nick

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedevilucifer wrote:

I been to 'Savvas' two days ago,after the Iron Maiden gig,ha!Recommended!

I saw many metalheads inside.Is it the ''official'' gyros place for metalheads Laughing ?

Ha! Maybe - I can't tell, since after the concert in every area you would go to find a place to eat, there were people coming from the concert too !!! For example, my brother and I, we went to a 24hours open snack and food place in Chalandri, called "Velanidia" and there were more people from the concert with Maiden t-shirts and the like.
We are a Maiden nation !!!

Maiden were fantastic once again, but this fucking place is a no-no in terms of access.
"What's with the girly screams? We are not The Beatles" - Black Winds / “The earth has a skin and that skin has diseases; one of its diseases is called man.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche. / STOP USING PVC PROTECTING SLEEVES ON YOUR VINYL ALBUMS
translucent_nick

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Priest666 wrote:

Make sure to visit Monastiraki and Plaka - they are near to the Acropolis and for me Plaka is the most beautiful place in Athens.

Also check this :

http://rainbowbar.zz.vc/

Most legendary Metal clubs from the 80's ("Hombre" anyone?) are dead these days,closed many years now, but there are some :

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g189400-d10514521-r492676316-Intrepid_Fox-Athens_Attica.html

https://www.facebook.com/LegacyRockArea/

https://www.facebook.com/pg/undergroundathens/about/?ref=page_internal

A Legendary place :
https://www.anclub.gr/
speedevilucifer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Priest666 wrote:
My coworkers are advising me like crazy, to take a boat from Athens to one of surrounding islands, any particular recommendations?

I would say to you if you were coming 2-3 days earlier there's this event in Crete --> https://el-gr.facebook.com/overthewallfestival/

Coroner on stage and we are already there!

Apart from concerts etc,islands are more quiet,safe and if you 're into swimming ,blue seas ,sun etc,it's your thing.Depends from you.
Of course there are many great places to explore in islands,from ancient monuments to palm forests (for example),gorges,mountains,beaches,natural landscapes,old towns etc.

Expect hot weather,in any case Smile

Nick,Iron Maiden was simply fantastic!
You see them too??
No need to bitching around about some things on organization,to tell you the truth,I didn't expect something better..
Over 36.000 people (perhaps over 40.000) in a such inappropriate venue..
Great place ,but with fewer people.
OAKA I think would be more suitable.
Important thing is we possibly saw their best performance in Hellas ever!
translucent_nick

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedevilucifer wrote:

Nick,Iron Maiden was simply fantastic!
You see them too??
No need to bitching around about some things on organization,to tell you the truth,I didn't expect something better..
Over 36.000 people (perhaps over 40.000) in a such inappropriate venue..
Great place ,but with fewer people.
OAKA I think would be more suitable.
Important thing is we possibly saw their best performance in Hellas ever!

YES !!!! I wouldn't have missed them for the world !!!!
Apart from hearing rare hymns from 'Piece Of Mind" etc., this concert it was very emotional to me, since I was in their first time here in 1988.

Plus I would recommend to Priest666 to visit Crete if he would be able to, since I'm half Cretan in origin from my mother's side, and I have a special fondness for the place.
But I would warn him to stay away from my mother's place of origin : a village called Malia - hahahahahahahaha !!!!!
I'm laughing 'cause it has been the most awful touristic place in Crete - it's so shitty I myself haven't visited for many years now!
So apart from the places of historic interest like Knossos, there's nothing beautiful to see there !!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: