P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Thoughts on record labels and iTunes?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brooklyn Bastard 666

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Thoughts on record labels and iTunes? Reply with quote

I must say, it is a bit frustrating when labels and bands of a certain level have not a single release available on iTunes. I recently signed up for the iTunes Music service, 9.99 a month to add and DL to your digital library to your hearts content. Tons of Metal is at your fingertips. But it seems some labels have none of their releases on there all. My question is - why? Money reasons? Content reasons? So many tiny Hardcore and Punk bands are on iTunes, yet not one release from MGLA or Satanic Warmaster, two bands with a shit ton of fans. Even certain Hells Headbagers stuff isn’t up, where some bands on HHR do have their stuff up like Midnight.

Id love to hear from band and label people on this.

Thanks.
MCS
SlevinKelevra

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably because band camp is more useful and diverse tool.

---
Recent deals/trades with : Al Infierno, bearsbearsbears , jerry666, lordpazuzu, lunar stele, xyosefx . Feedback on ebay and discogs speaks loud.
Ough

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I can tell there’s really little to no reason why you wouldn’t put your band or labels releases up for streaming. Main reason would be artists choice probably. But it’s actually pretty easy to submit albums to multiple streaming platforms at once using something like distrokid. You’re not gonna make any money (my band of 4 dudes is looking at $15 off of two EPs streaming for 2 years) but it’s really only about making the music more accessible. Which seems to be your main gripe.

http://store.nghtrhthms.com
under a funeral shroom

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genuinely not trying to be a dick as I don't really stream music much and could be speaking from ignorance, but is it really that inconvenient to just go to a bandcamp page and listen to an album there if it's not available on itunes or whatever?
chunks

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe because of how fuckin' rigged and skewed the entire system is in favour of Apple and major labels? of all the streaming apps and services I haven't found one that works better than fuckin' loading up Blackplayer via shit I got off SLSK.
Funeral Thirst

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who runs a label I only use Bandcamp as of right now, mainly because nobody gives a hoot about what I release.

I do wish stuff like Satanic Warmaster, Nekroblood, Black Cilice was available on Spotify and all that, all depends on the label and band I guess too.
Ough

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the average person who doesn’t have means or time to download music or pull up 10 different bandcamps, it’s gotta be nice to have it all in one spot and in decent quality. I have a shit ton of local files but I use Spotify on the reg, especially cuz it is mobile and I can stream shit on longer road trips!

FallenEmpire

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I avoid putting things on Amazon Music, Apple Music, Google Play, Pandora, Spotify, etc as I don't particularly like the aesthetics of "underground" music being available on these platforms. I like it when music requires a little bit more active seeking, and the creators / presenters do so in a DIY fashion. I also really don't like it when a label or band makes some banner like this, which you see sometimes:

It's just a bit displeasing to me to see the names of some of the biggest companies in the world alongside music that I like. It just makes it start to feel less like art and more like everything else.

Beyond this, there's really not much money to be received through the streaming services. Bandcamp is hands down the best way for smaller artists / labels to get a worthwhile amount of financial support. Let's use the recent Tchornobog album as an example. There have been 46,711 complete and partial track streams so far. Spotify counts a track as a "play" if it goes past 30 seconds, hence the inclusion of them in my counting. Using a number from Forbes article published earlier this year, the average amount generated per stream is $.0038 per stream. Multiply that by the 46,711 plays and you get a grand total of $177.50. The amount donated on Bandcamp so far vastly exceeds that amount. In fact it would take over 500,000 streams on Spotify to even start getting close.

The only legitimate benefit I see to putting metal like this on a streaming service is if you want to try and get attention via people discovering you on some sort of playlist / recommended artist thing. For the time being, I'm going to stick with Bandcamp because I still see it as the best digital platform for this type of music for many different reasons.
under a funeral shroom

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Hahaha, when vacation photos become album covers.
Ough

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^theres a lot to agree with here but I’m not sure I buy the “keeping it underground” idea. I doubt there’s a lot of people randomly discovering Goatpenis or Tetragrammicide through streaming apps, just people that are already aware of the bands.

TheDark

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itunes has been removing some bands lately I've noticed. Nokturnal Mortum and Absurd are both gone, probably due to NSBM bullshit, yet Graveland and Temnozor are still there. I only use ITunes really when I'm driving anyway.
Let the pain always stay with you
rthdx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nothing strange that certain BM bands/labels are sort of "against the (modern) world", even in spite of (relatively) big popularity. Additionally, when you have myriads releases from zillion labels around, most of which are looking for maximum accessibility of their stuff, it's hard to expect that this model should please/attract absolutely everyone, just for the sake of satisfying needs of consumer society. Believe that or not, it's still possible to run the label/have a band without pacebook account and/or putting everything for streaming/downloads. That's not making life easier at all, but bring priceless moral satisfaction (if that's what you're looking for with your activities, of corpse).
youtube
discogs
Karlskrone

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Streaming music is false.
They'often rip offs for the bands
chunks

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ough wrote:
^theres a lot to agree with here but I’m not sure I buy the “keeping it underground” idea. I doubt there’s a lot of people randomly discovering Goatpenis or Tetragrammicide through streaming apps, just people that are already aware of the bands.

yeah, p funny pissing on streaming while using social media which is a far great pox on all things listenable in 2017.
Brooklyn Bastard 666

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t know man - it’s 2017, I’m 44 and 25 plus years into Death and Black Metal. ITunes is not the “enemy” or “selling out” to me. I really would like to hear more about the DISadvantges of iTunes, Amazon etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: