P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

At what point do you think flipping became a real problem?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hymnsoftheneedlefreak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think everyone from any walk of life has done some type of flipping. I know I flip out all the time at work.

Threads are getting worse by the day.
Fork Tongue

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you just listen to what you enjoy on any kind of format possible you can avoid all this bullshit. If some dude picks up 3 copies of something and flips 2 at a much higher price I have no problem with them. It's about buyer demand. If people are willing to pay it's always going to happen and rightfully so.

If you're not one of those people willing to pay extra the answer is to buy it on another format. It's pretty simple. Do you enjoy the music or do you NEED the vinyl?

I'd rather have the vinyl but if it isn't in the cards it isn't in the cards. If the demand is there it'll be reissued one day.

I recently did this with the Frozen Graves album. Really wanted it on vinyl but I'm not willing to pay the silly prices so I grabbed the cd.
holy ghost

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also letís not forget if a label is unwilling to reissue a record that goes for hundreds of dollars the real issue is not the flippers.

I sell old shit I donít want all the time and usually price 20% under market/discogs value, and use that money to buy new stuff. I tend to sell stuff pretty regularly that way.

How many people are actively squirrelling away 2-3 copies for resale and how many are just cashing in on some hype record? I know if Iím not 100% sold on a record Iíll flip it and get something I want. Itís not a scheme, just normal when I have a ton of records I want but also a house to maintain and a wife that wants to go on vacation....
CeannasaŪ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is an example of why I respect Circle of Dawn so much. When they saw what their cassette demo was selling for, they made a reissue happen.
The Missing Link

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 pages of this shit? Fuck your mother.

Shirts: http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/posting.php
ANTI_HUMAN

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy ghost wrote:

How many people are actively squirrelling away 2-3 copies for resale and how many are just cashing in on some hype record? I know if Iím not 100% sold on a record Iíll flip it and get something I want. Itís not a scheme, just normal when I have a ton of records I want but also a house to maintain and a wife that wants to go on vacation....

Same, I think we all "flip" to some extent. Just can't side with anyone who buys a record for $20 and then the next day flips it for $120, I just can't do that to people.
The Krusher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not into the vinyl TREND, so i couldnt care less
K.D.S.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElectricHoseBag wrote:
skeletor666 wrote:
The birth of the whole Die Hard edition is one of the main reasons its so prevalent with underground metal releases now.

Rise Above Records were probably the worst offender if you ask me, such weird and gay pressing variants too.

I lol'd at Rise Above 'Friends and Family'-editions. That's like a Die Hard edition for when the regular Die Hard edition is still too common, ordinary and plebeian for someone's exquisite tastes. Laughing
Professor Black

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's only a problem with 7"s because I don't have time to get comfortable between songs.
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see flipping is certainly annoying when you are looking for something you want and it's part of the current phase of interest and subjected to the ridiculous price increases often associated with the ordeal... other than that, not really part of it I guess. I only buy albums I want to own and keep... which I do. I have no interest in participating in the schemes and scams and mental fatigue of being a seller to said miserable cretins that lurk among the rest of us (or buying from them). So... I suppose I find myself perfectly content with buying from, and only from legit vendors and online distro's ...new releases, or whatever is available from their stock at the nice low normal 'new' price.

I find it less frustrating to invest my time and efforts into a decent job that does not chain me to the post office or responding to email complaints or inquiries questioning your integrity or honor and where is my stuff etc etc Laughing

Enjoyment is not supposed to be associated with all the headaches of the go get it now panic and discogs fervor.
I do enjoy albums bought at retail price, are new and not handled by someone else's unwashed bathroom hands... and did not require living at a computer or figuring out scan software to adhere to getting a 1 of 50 release or whatever the fuck is happening Laughing
ditmasduke

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I flip shit all the time. I go to auctions, estate sales, and check classifieds. Occasionally Iíll find records worth a shit. I flip em and I can give zero fucks how you feel about it.

No one is forcing you to pay high prices for anything. If I own something, itís value is how much it takes for me to want to hand it over to you. Pay it or donít, go listen to it online for free where artists get jack shit.

Metal is not as underground as it used to be. Unfortunately the only people buying records are collectors, not as many listeners. Why? Because you can listen to every album for free online ever created. Bandsknow they canít sell their shit, they press less copies and there you go, supply and demand.

Maybe if our peers supported more bands theyíd press more copies.
bartwa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditmasduke wrote:
I flip shit all the time. I go to auctions, estate sales, and check classifieds. Occasionally Iíll find records worth a shit. I flip em and I can give zero fucks how you feel about it.

No one is forcing you to pay high prices for anything. If I own something, itís value is how much it takes for me to want to hand it over to you. Pay it or donít, go listen to it online for free where artists get jack shit.

Metal is not as underground as it used to be. Unfortunately the only people buying records are collectors, not as many listeners. Why? Because you can listen to every album for free online ever created. Bandsknow they canít sell their shit, they press less copies and there you go, supply and demand.

Demoniarch

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just run a computer analysis on flipping... seems there is a HUGE decline in the activity from a few minutes before sunset on Friday evening until the appearance of three stars in the sky on Saturday night. Cool
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bartwa wrote:
ditmasduke wrote:

See... personally I think there is a bit of a distinct difference in discovering things at estate sales or randomly stumbling across a LP buried in some store or classified ad and re-selling that stuff, or advertising it to a larger market that would never otherwise be aware of its availability and with what is happening with skjold type "new" releases being bought out in a hour and minutes later on discogs at 10x the price... which is the flipping point of this threads particular disdain I think.

Not sure there isn't anyone on this forum that if you stumbled across some rare album at a garage sale or something would not buy it and sell it at the current so called 'value' suggested by discogs or whatever.
Wolfram

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about backflips?

You think Buffo could do one?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: