P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

The dumbest thing you’ve ever heard someone say about music
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 31, 32, 33  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brickjaw

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HotBlack wrote:
brickjaw wrote:
met a guy at a deeds of flesh show in 2004/2005 who was passing out fliers for his brutal dm band called DEGUTTED. i attempted to explain the nonsensical nature of his band name and he said "so if you are degutted, you're not evem gutted a little bit?"

The "..even a little bit" is humorous, but what don't you understand about the word degutted? If you debone a fish are you... putting the bones back in? The prefix de- means "completely" or "down to the bottom" in this case. To top it off it is an actual word, the past tense of degut.

i didn't think of that at the time, but i don't believe that thought or logic even crossed his mind, i bet my mortgage that he didn't know the meaning of the prefix like you just explained. like one of the above comments, i took it as not being gutted at all or unharmed. i distinctly remember him though, bringing up other bands with brutal sounding names like DEFLESHED and chose the DEGUTTED name without understanding what it meant, it just sounded "super brutal" to him and there were/are dozens of bands named GUTTED, which became much more clear when he asked "even a little bit?" it was DEFINITELY not because he was thinking of it as in the past tense of degut. i guess it seemed alot funnier, and much dumber, in the moment. It should be noted that this way the same guy who i had the "there had to be death metal bands in the 60s" converstion with.
Deathwish

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joyless wrote:
someone told me that NSBM is not music for faggots Shocked Shocked

WARNING! Exclamation
Any more outbursts like this and you will be strangled to death in the forest.
PanzerGeneral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deathwish wrote:
joyless wrote:

WARNING! Exclamation
Any more outbursts like this and you will be strangled to death in the forest.
Hahahaha!
dAHMER

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HotBlack wrote:
brickjaw wrote:
met a guy at a deeds of flesh show in 2004/2005 who was passing out fliers for his brutal dm band called DEGUTTED. i attempted to explain the nonsensical nature of his band name and he said "so if you are degutted, you're not evem gutted a little bit?"

The "..even a little bit" is humorous, but what don't you understand about the word degutted? If you debone a fish are you... putting the bones back in? The prefix de- means "completely" or "down to the bottom" in this case. To top it off it is an actual word, the past tense of degut.

There's probably an English teacher somewhere who could correct me, but I feel like adding "de" to "gutted" is redundant and unnecessary. Sure, "debone" makes sense, but that doesn't mean adding "de" works across the board, the same way that the plural of goose is not gooses.

Either way, this reminds me of a kid in high school who wanted to start a band called Bodyless Corpse. He seemed totally unaware of how that didn't really make sense.
Knucklehead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dAHMER wrote:
HotBlack wrote:
brickjaw wrote:

There's probably an English teacher somewhere who could correct me, but I feel like adding "de" to "gutted" is redundant and unnecessary.

You are correct, "debone" is a modern variant of the verb "bone", which the authorities seem to agree first appeared in English in the 15th century. The verb "debone" is redundant, but passed into modern usage in the middle of the last century. "Degutted" doubtless followed a similar etymological trajectory.

The Elitist runs strong in you -- you should feel pride.
Dr. Decibel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw Degutted open for Unthawed and Inflammable. Killer show all around.
Funeral Thirst

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Decibel wrote:

I can't tell if this is a joke or not but if it is, very funny.
Hidden38

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Decibel wrote:

Haha! Love this! Entire situation reminds of Three Amigos

Lucky Day: Reading telegram: "Three Amigos, Hollywood, California. You are very great. 100,000 pesos. Come to Santa Poco put on show, stop. The In-famous El Guapo."

Dusty Bottoms: What does that mean, in-famous?

Ned Nederlander: Oh, Dusty. In-famous is when you're MORE than famous. This man El Guapo, he's not just famous, he's IN-famous.

Lucky Day: 100,000 pesos to perform with this El Guapo, who's probably the biggest actor to come out of Mexico!

Dusty Bottoms: Wow, in-famous? In-famous?

HotBlack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dAHMER wrote:
There's probably an English teacher somewhere who could correct me, but I feel like adding "de" to "gutted" is redundant and unnecessary. Sure, "debone" makes sense, but that doesn't mean adding "de" works across the board, the same way that the plural of goose is not gooses.

ugh your killing me. Degut is a real word, so it is not a case of throwing the prefix de- around willy-nilly. ...and it is in no way analogous to the plural of goose not being gooses, it is analogous to debone and bone both existing in the English language and meaning the same thing. The reason for it is that gut, and bone for that matter, are both nouns and verbs. They can be used as verbs or or the noun form made into a verb. There is no reason or logic for the plural of goose being geese or louse being lice.. they are exceptions to the general rule. Why are you fine with debone but not degut?
Dr. Decibel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hidden38 wrote:
Dr. Decibel wrote:

Haha! Love this! Entire situation reminds of Three Amigos

Lucky Day: Reading telegram: "Three Amigos, Hollywood, California. You are very great. 100,000 pesos. Come to Santa Poco put on show, stop. The In-famous El Guapo."

Dusty Bottoms: What does that mean, in-famous?

Ned Nederlander: Oh, Dusty. In-famous is when you're MORE than famous. This man El Guapo, he's not just famous, he's IN-famous.

Lucky Day: 100,000 pesos to perform with this El Guapo, who's probably the biggest actor to come out of Mexico!

Dusty Bottoms: Wow, in-famous? In-famous?

Great, now I’m hungry for fire-roasted bat wings.
Hallucinogen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joyless wrote:
Laughing Surely that individual was joking, as it's common knowledge that NSBM indeed is for faggots. Just take a look at one of the figureheads of the movement, Hendrik Möbus, famous for raping and killing a 12 year old boy with his two gay lovers and then going to prison where he was raped in turn. A tragic story, really.
dAHMER

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HotBlack wrote:
dAHMER wrote:

ugh your killing me. Degut is a real word, so it is not a case of throwing the prefix de- around willy-nilly. ...and it is in no way analogous to the plural of goose not being gooses, it is analogous to debone and bone both existing in the English language and meaning the same thing. The reason for it is that gut, and bone for that matter, are both nouns and verbs. They can be used as verbs or or the noun form made into a verb. There is no reason or logic for the plural of goose being geese or louse being lice.. they are exceptions to the general rule. Why are you fine with debone but not degut?

I dunno. It was just my two cents. Either I'm right or I'm wrong. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, but I'm also not ever going to say "degutted".
wirelessdarkness

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HotBlack wrote:
dAHMER wrote:

ugh your killing me.

proceeds to give an english lesson - have you ever 'unlearned' something? if not, try
brickjaw

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had no idea that the degutted incident would cause such controversy lol.

Last edited by brickjaw on Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ough

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y’all debutted
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 20 of 33

Jump to: