P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Grunge
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Did it really matter?
Alice in Chains
37%
 37%  [ 47 ]
Green River
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Mad Season
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Mother Love Bone
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Melvins
12%
 12%  [ 16 ]
Nirvana
25%
 25%  [ 32 ]
Pearl Jam
3%
 3%  [ 4 ]
Screaming Trees
3%
 3%  [ 4 ]
Soundgarden
13%
 13%  [ 17 ]
Temple of the Dog
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 124

blodhemn9

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apostle of Plague wrote:

whatever the official story was, i just couldn't help imagining that he was some hipster (from Atlanta?) with industry connections who secured them a new record deal if he could join the band.

nah he was a fan of the band and actually attended the original bands final show (opening for Kiss in Kansas City). Years later he was living in an apartment complex in LA jamming with his band at the time, and Jerry Cantrell happened to live in the same complex and ended up befriending Duvall and eventually re-booted AIC with him.

No one can touch Staley, but Duvall does really well in those massive shoes. He can harmonize perfectly with Cantrell to pull off those old songs. His voice is super close to Layne's when he wants it to be, but also different enough that he has his own voice and isn't simply ripping of Layne.

"Black Gives Way To Blue" is a phenomenal record. I didn't give it the time of day for years but when I finally heard it, I was blown away. It's a 10/10 for me. "The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here", on the other hand, is bloated. There are 4 really good tracks on it, but the rest is filler.

Last edited by blodhemn9 on Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:56 am; edited 1 time in total
hellmask

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blodhemn9 wrote:
Apostle of Plague wrote:

whatever the official story was, i just couldn't help imagining that he was some hipster (from Atlanta?) with industry connections who secured them a new record deal if he could join the band.

nah he was a fan of the band and actually attended the original bands final show (opening for Kiss in Kansas City). Years later he was living in an apartment complex in LA jamming with his band at the time, and Jerry Cantrell happened to live in the same complex and ended up befriending Duvall and eventually re-booted AIC with him.

No one can touch Staley, but Duvall does really well in those massive shoes. He can harmonize perfectly with Cantrell to pull off those old songs. His voice is super close to Layne's when he wants it to be, but also different enough that he has his own voice and isn't simply ripping of Layne.

"Black Gives Way To Blue" is a phenomenal record. I didn't give it the time of day for years but when I finally heard it, I was blow away. It's a 10/10 for me. "The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here", on the other hand, is bloated. There are 4 really good tracks on it, but the rest is filler.

I don't like post-Staley AiC, but William DuVall has paid his dues. He was in some damn good hardcore bands in the 80s, notably Neon Christ and Bl'ast.
Manawydan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellmask wrote:
blodhemn9 wrote:
Apostle of Plague wrote:

"Black Gives Way To Blue" is a phenomenal record. I didn't give it the time of day for years but when I finally heard it, I was blow away. It's a 10/10 for me. "The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here", on the other hand, is bloated. There are 4 really good tracks on it, but the rest is filler.

I don't like post-Staley AiC, but William DuVall has paid his dues. He was in some damn good hardcore bands in the 80s, notably Neon Christ and Bl'ast.

Saw those shows they did with maynard from tool, he would have been a way better fit than duvall.
Manawydan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would HUM count as grunge? around the same time and part of the chicago scene with the smashing pumpkins etc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q397xZoMSQ
Soleil Blanc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alice In Chains "Rain when I die" sounds like Load-era Metallica in terms of riffing, vocals and production, even if of course the compositions are darker and more bitter. AIC also bears few similarities to same era Offspring, which is not a surprise considering these bands played a certain type of rock at a certain time (the mid-90's).

I also noticed that Silverchair was much influenced by Pearl Jam. All these bands were pretty close in terms of sonorities. Some Soundgarden songs contain similar chord progression as AIC or Pearl Jam. By the way, I wouldn't say that AIC was more metal-oriented than Soundgarden. Both were metal-oriented.

PS: am I the only one to think that AIC and Pearl Jam lyrics are weak? Cobain's lyrics are much more talented.
Nightvvolf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALICE IN CHAINS is totally the same as The Offspring. Everytime I here Them Bones I swear I hear "Gotta keep'em seperated!!!"
Soleil Blanc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about another Offspring song: "Gone Away", which is a clear step into grunge territory. The thing is I know Offspring discography, not only radio hits like you seem to do.

Are we discussing actual music or just bashing each other in order to gain some virtual popularity?
karimlan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hated it all then and I still hate it all now.
Frozen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soleil Blanc wrote:
PS: am I the only one to think that AIC and Pearl Jam lyrics are weak? Cobain's lyrics are much more talented.

Cobain's lyrics were infinitely more sophisticated than the rest of the Seattle bands, and so was his sense of melody and composition.

Frozen wrote:
For those who want to understand why Kurt was a genius songwriter: https://youtu.be/TYdz55Oh1H8
Manawydan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jawbreaker> any of the grunge bands

I know they were lumped in with them due to the similar influences (pixies, Husker du etc) and they toured with most of the grunge bands (nirvana, Pearl jam, Soundgarden) back in the day. I just prefer the cleaner pixies meets husker du sound.

Although here's mudhoney doing a hawkwind cover that pays tribute to both hawkwind and motorhead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQCS-Y5Vbz4
axebix

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post the darkest and heaviest grunge songs.
Baron Death

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: Grunge Reply with quote

axebix wrote:
Post the darkest and heaviest grunge songs.

One of the darkest, in terms of overall feel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7Xlh5jsmeA
Vanitas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nirvana - Negative Creep
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5ijtz6Du_s

Soleil Blanc wrote:
Alice In Chains "Rain when I die" sounds like Load-era Metallica in terms of riffing, vocals and production

That's a good thing, Load is great.
Nightvvolf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soleil Blanc wrote:
I was thinking about another Offspring song: "Gone Away", which is a clear step into grunge territory. The thing is I know Offspring discography, not only radio hits like you seem to do.

Are we discussing actual music or just bashing each other in order to gain some virtual popularity?

Dude, you are funny as shit. "The thing is I know Offspring discography, not only radio hits like you seem to do." Anyways The AIC album you bring up is from 1992 the Offspring album from 1992 is Ignition which has absolutely ZERO similarities with it. So you mean to say, "The Offspring later took a song in a "Grunge" direction that is not dissimilar to the music Of AIC." I am not the one to kick you when you are down. But obviously this has become an obsession that has ignited some bad habit of thinking people are attacking you. I think you need some time to relax and build some self esteem before you go smashing keys on the keyboard.
Beggar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can anyone enjoy shit like Alice in Chains. Probably the same people who post in the GUILTY PLEASURES thread Lana Del Rey. Just terrible
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 12 of 15

Jump to: